Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Wolfie2112 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:03 pm

papi61 wrote:
Wolfie2112 wrote:Are you saying that guys like James Horner, Trevor Rabin and James Newton Howard are idiots because they use Mac? Of course you are.


No, I'm not. They use mac because they're old and not very tech-savvy and they can't get accustomed to another OS. Not everybody is like Hans Zimmer (who dumped all of his macs for custom-made PC's), who's really young at heart. But if you knew their rigs (and it's obvious that you don't...), you'd know that they're full of PC slaves that actually take the brunt of the heavy loads. What does that tell you? Well, obviously to you nothing...

You certainly like to bash everyone that doesn't agree with you, as noted in other forums.


And you keep rehashing that completely unsubstantiated LIE as if it were a truth. But then again, you're the guy who believes that it's just impossible that a PC can be better than a MacPro or that it can have a Thunderbolt port... No amount of reality can convince you otherwise. So, like all Apple fanboys, you demonize everyone who dares to criticize your cult. So, now I'm a monster... :roll: And all fanboys like you take it as an unquestionable truth (without posting any EVIDENCE for that, obviously...), even one Steinberg moderator.

all I'm saying is that I prefer to work on Mac


No, what you repeatedly said is that without heavy tweaking windows machines wouldn't even be viable for music. I countered your silly and baseless argument with FACTS and you just keep rehashing it, because facts are meaningless to you.


Whatever dude! :lol:

Once again... I USE PC's (also SLAVES), I LIKE THEM, THEY ARE SOLID. I know PC's are available with T-Bolt...Duh! We have an Asus laptop here with T-bolt. However, I am curious to see you post a link to a PC with identical specs to the new 12-core MP. And I mean identical. You can't. ;)

So if you can't accept the fact that many of us like to work on Mac as our primary machine, no one cares. It is a pointless battle on your part. I really don't care if a PC has a better flux capacitor, blah, blah, blah. And I'm sure the latest and greatest would blow the doors of my system....I don't dispute that, never did. All I said was my Mac is solid (as are my PC's). PERIOD. The OP asked if Windows was a good choice, I said yes. I don't know why you don't have any respect for anyone who doesn't share your POV.

Bye...
Wolfie2112
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Jalcide » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 pm

papi61 wrote:OK, but plugin count isn't everything (granted, it depends on how you work...) I'd rather have a faster CPU that allows me to use X number of plugins rather than a slower one that gives me X+5.


Yes, good point. For some, using the PC for multiple things, it's a tradeoff they'd have to weigh.

In my situation, since it's a dedicated DSP chain in a rack, it was a very nice, and inexpensive, bang-for-buck surprise to see that little i5 do so well in floating-point.

But the headline here is that I think those 4 Geekbench sub-scores can indeed be used as a powerful initiator and research tool when building a DAW; Mac or PC.

I still need to get the raw metrics gathered, posted and scrutinized before I'll call this "confirmed," so anyone making a serious buying decision, please do your own research (as one should, regardless).

But, it was too cool a nugget not to share.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase 7.5.20 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
User avatar
Jalcide
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby uarte » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:47 pm

BTW, as as interesting side note about the new Mac Pro being used in the industry by actual pros, I just talked to my friend who runs a video production facility (they do video, film and compositing/post production) and they are ordering a bunch of new Mac Pros right now. I do work for them as audio post production with Pro Tools, and some sound design and music with Cubase. And bear in mind this is one of the guys I mentioned in the past that HATES what Apple has done, dumped Final Cut, and was planning on moving to Windows. Nope. He's still staying with Apple! And lots of them. Mac Pros are here to stay folks. Despite Apple's handling of pros recently. I was very surprised he's jumping into the new waters so soon, but there it is. I was almost sure he'd be moving to Windows by now, at least for compositing. Nope. And I'm not sure Adobe is even ready for the new Mac Pros yet! And still, he's ordering them. Now this is for video/film of course, so this doesn't directly apply to us since the new Mac Pros are not really designed for audio. However, it does just go to show what type of grip Apple has on certain segments of the pro market, even for those who have been angry with Apple like my friend. As for me, I'm still in the process of migrating to Apple, in part because of pressure from clients like him -- it just makes the whole workflow more seamless for everyone in the pipeline of his productions -- and every last one of us uses Macs, despite many grumblings. I, for one, am happy with the transition, but as I mentioned, keep Windows machines on hand in case I need them. The main thing is to try to be as platform agnostic as possible, so I can be flexible. What really matters is getting the job done and paying the bills, folks. :) I couldn't care less about a silly Mac/Windows fanboyism on either side.
uarte
Member
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Jalcide » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 pm

uarte wrote: The main thing is to try to be as platform agnostic as possible, so I can be flexible. What really matters is getting the job done and paying the bills, folks. :) I couldn't care less about a silly Mac/Windows fanboyism on either side.


+1

This is the quote of the thread. ^

(The fact that Cubase is dual platform has been a big factor in why I keep landing back in its seat so squarely, year after year.)
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase 7.5.20 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
User avatar
Jalcide
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby SteveInChicago » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:51 pm

uarte wrote:The main thing is to try to be as platform agnostic as possible, so I can be flexible. What really matters is getting the job done and paying the bills, folks. I couldn't care less about a silly Mac/Windows fanboyism on either side.
Yep. +1 from me too on that.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
User avatar
SteveInChicago
External Moderator
 
Posts: 4598
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:07 am

Wolfie2112 wrote:
So if you can't accept the fact that many of us like to work on Mac as our primary machine, no one cares.


Again, "dude", you're building a silly straw man. I couldn't care less what you use, but I won't let you spread falsehoods here like you did when you repeatedly claimed that windows systems do not work out of the box as audio machines and need heavy tweaking. Or when you hint that windows machines crash all the time (it's a classic Apple fanboy claim to state that windows 8 goes blue screen all the time. Never mind that W8 no longer has a blue screen...)

I don't know why you don't have any respect for anyone who doesn't share your POV.


Again, another lie. I'm perfectly OK with different opinions, but I don't have any respect for liars who keep posting lies and the only way they can debate me is by slandering me.
Last edited by papi61 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 am

uarte wrote:And bear in mind this is one of the guys I mentioned in the past that HATES what Apple has done, dumped Final Cut, and was planning on moving to Windows. Nope. He's still staying with Apple!


That's the power of the Apple cult. Apple can even bankrupt their fanboys (and they literally did that), but they will keep sticking with it, even to their own detriment. Reminds me of millions of not-exactly-rich people who keep voting for a certain party that only favors the super-rich... Masochism?

I couldn't care less about a silly Mac/Windows fanboyism on either side.


I'm platform neutral. I used mac for 20+ years and then I switched to windows. If linux offered me a better deal, I'd switch to linux in a nanosecond. I have absolutely no allegiance to MS, or to any greedy megacorporation. But to the Apple cult, there is no such thing as neutral. You're either with them or you instantly become their worst enemy the second you state that maybe mac is no longer the way to go today.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby uarte » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:34 am

papi61 wrote:
uarte wrote:And bear in mind this is one of the guys I mentioned in the past that HATES what Apple has done, dumped Final Cut, and was planning on moving to Windows. Nope. He's still staying with Apple!


That's the power of the Apple cult. Apple can even bankrupt their fanboys (and they literally did that), but they will keep sticking with the it, even to their own detriment. Reminds me of millions of not-exactly-rich people who keep voting for a certain party that only favors the super-rich... Masochism?


Papi, with all due respect, that's just an insane statement that has no bearing with reality of most of the pros I know who use Macs. It doesn't do you justice to make such asinine statements. Most of those pros simply want to get a job done, they have families, they have bills, they have lives, and they don't give a flying @#$% about Mac vs Windows. And they are doing just fine professionally, thank you very much. The ones I know make videos, films, art, games and yes, music, and don't ever bother with forums. The time they save by not reading threads like this is used to make more films and music. They use computers that you might laugh at and insult for one trite reason or another: Gee, they spent too much money! Gee, my computer can do 50% more plugins! Gee, they are _____! -- etc... fill in your old tired insult here.

Yes, there is a cult out there, it's way smaller than you think, and everyone I know who uses Macs isn't part of it, we don't care, it doesn't matter. And while you're calling people out on cults, you may want to re-evaluate the guy staring at you in the mirror about why you feel the need to vent so much on this topic. Why don't you just go do what you're probably much more talented at, and make music? Isn't it enough that we all share the same DAW app to be digging at a bunch of people who simply prefer one platform over another? And those guys are not going to bother with responding here in this forum, so it's easy to cast stones at them.

I'm simply wasting my time responding because I used to be on the other side, and I'm sick and tired of people characterizing Mac people as cultists. It's simply ignorant and frankly trite. I'm sure you are capable of recognizing that some people are just not like you and have different preferences in life -- that doesn't make them smarter or dumber or better or worse than you. Surely, there are more important things to intelligently criticize people about, like politics, but you irrationally tied politics to Mac-fanboyism and has no place in this forum. Seriously, your posts are making me re-evaluate how I look at your other posts in this forum, that I normally look at with respect for your intelligence.

And honestly, I'm so sick of reading these types of threads, I'm checking out of this thread. Watching cute kitten videos on YouTube is more worthwhile at this point.
uarte
Member
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:31 am

You know what's funny uarte, your venomous reaction actually just proved my point. You simply cannot debate me as to why the mac is allegedly "indispensable" and "irreplaceable", all you can do is attack me personally. Which, once again, proves my point.

P.S. quite frankly, I couldn't care less about what you think of me.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Freddie H » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 am

Hi!


I haven't had time to read all...


But you all seem to miss the biggest point here regarding performance. I just wonder why all MACs and OSX performance always sucks so BIG TIME? :roll:


It doesn't matter that new apple MAC PRO 2013 has 12 core or 24 cores or what ever, it will still run slower and get run over with simple I7 4core machine with Windows. Its a shame, all the component are like a monster machine but APPLE and OSX just don't make it right. You all know that right?


So comparing physical hardware's will not cut it. ;)
But like someone said here already that were a user, "you don't buy MAC for its capacity".



Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
User avatar
Freddie H
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 am
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Wolfie2112 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:47 am

uarte wrote:
papi61 wrote:
uarte wrote:And bear in mind this is one of the guys I mentioned in the past that HATES what Apple has done, dumped Final Cut, and was planning on moving to Windows. Nope. He's still staying with Apple!


That's the power of the Apple cult. Apple can even bankrupt their fanboys (and they literally did that), but they will keep sticking with the it, even to their own detriment. Reminds me of millions of not-exactly-rich people who keep voting for a certain party that only favors the super-rich... Masochism?


Papi, with all due respect, that's just an insane statement that has no bearing with reality of most of the pros I know who use Macs. It doesn't do you justice to make such asinine statements. Most of those pros simply want to get a job done, they have families, they have bills, they have lives, and they don't give a flying @#$% about Mac vs Windows. And they are doing just fine professionally, thank you very much. The ones I know make videos, films, art, games and yes, music, and don't ever bother with forums. The time they save by not reading threads like this is used to make more films and music. They use computers that you might laugh at and insult for one trite reason or another: Gee, they spent too much money! Gee, my computer can do 50% more plugins! Gee, they are _____! -- etc... fill in your old tired insult here.

Yes, there is a cult out there, it's way smaller than you think, and everyone I know who uses Macs isn't part of it, we don't care, it doesn't matter. And while you're calling people out on cults, you may want to re-evaluate the guy staring at you in the mirror about why you feel the need to vent so much on this topic. Why don't you just go do what you're probably much more talented at, and make music? Isn't it enough that we all share the same DAW app to be digging at a bunch of people who simply prefer one platform over another? And those guys are not going to bother with responding here in this forum, so it's easy to cast stones at them.

I'm simply wasting my time responding because I used to be on the other side, and I'm sick and tired of people characterizing Mac people as cultists. It's simply ignorant and frankly trite. I'm sure you are capable of recognizing that some people are just not like you and have different preferences in life -- that doesn't make them smarter or dumber or better or worse than you. Surely, there are more important things to intelligently criticize people about, like politics, but you irrationally tied politics to Mac-fanboyism and has no place in this forum. Seriously, your posts are making me re-evaluate how I look at your other posts in this forum, that I normally look at with respect for your intelligence.

And honestly, I'm so sick of reading these types of threads, I'm checking out of this thread. Watching cute kitten videos on YouTube is more worthwhile at this point.


I'm totally with you, we'll said. No one is slandering Windows here, I never did. Windows has crashed on me over the past 20 years, but who's system hasn't?? I never once said I get blue screens (someone is imagining things). Win 7 has been good to me. Like you said, it doesn't matter how we get the job done, as long as it works and gets the bills paid. Certain people don't like to hear that Mac works for us, but that's their problem.
Wolfie2112
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:32 am

Wolfie2112 wrote:I'm totally with you, we'll said. No one is slandering Windows here, I never did. Windows has crashed on me over the past 20 years, but who's system hasn't?? I never once said I get blue screens (someone is imagining things). Win 7 has been good to me. Like you said, it doesn't matter how we get the job done, as long as it works and gets the bills paid. Certain people don't like to hear that Mac works for us, but that's their problem.


Pretty incredible how you're starting to actually believe your own lies. Like I said many times, I couldn't care less what you use, but when you make the claim that windows doesn't work for audio out-of-the-box and that it needs heavy tweaking (and you have REPEATEDLY made that claim here), you're flat out lying. And yes, by doing that you're gratuitously trashing windows (imagine if I actually said that about the mac... You and your fellow fanboys would crucify me.)

I just called you on that, that's what I'm "guilty" of, the rest is your silly fabrications and straw men. But since you're intellectually dishonest and you can't debate me, all you can do is try to slander me with your falsehoods on what I allegedly said.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Freddie H » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:43 pm

You all know what "X" in OSX stands for , right?

You have been X' d! :mrgreen:


I couldn't resist...Happy new year everyone! :D

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
User avatar
Freddie H
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 am
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Wolfie2112 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Happy New Year to you as well!

Papi: for the sake of ending this BS, I retract my "tweaking" statement. If someone wants to load their Windows OS of choice, followed by the DAW of their choice without a single tweak, go nuts. Leave all of the indexing running, power save options on, user account control, anti virus, useless startup programs, etc, and have fun. Even worse, open up your new Windows 8 PC from BestBuy (or another big box store) and leave all of the garbage programs running without removing, disabling or modifying anything. Go nuts! :lol: And let me know how that goes for you...

All that aside, if a Windows dedicated DAW computer is clean and properly tuned (or tweaked as I call it), you have a solid machine for Cubase.

And if anyone has any tweaking tips for Mac, I'm all ears. I don't doubt there are things I can do to improve performance in Mavericks.

Cheers!
Wolfie2112
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Jalcide » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:35 am

Happy new year to you, too, and all! All unfortunate to be reading this thread. We, the mangy, disheveled, misfit, caffeine-wired, platform-debating, hunkered over our computers when we should be out, music computer nerds. :lol:

My New Year's wish is that this thread stay in 2013. :lol:

Wolfie2112 wrote:And if anyone has any tweaking tips for Mac, I'm all ears.


Boot Camp?

Oooowwww, BOOM. :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist and am totally kidding.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase 7.5.20 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
User avatar
Jalcide
Member
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:26 am

Wolfie2112 wrote:And if anyone has any tweaking tips for Mac, I'm all ears. I don't doubt there are things I can do to improve performance in Mavericks.


There's nothing you can do to improve a mac. That was actually one of my points all along. You cannot tweak a mac because Apple won't let you. And that doesn't mean that windows won't work unless tweaked, it means that you can squeeze EXTRA performance out of a windows machine but you cannot get anything more than what a mac comes with. And that's because their philosophy is that their users are morons who can do serious damage if allowed to tweak, and therefore they should be kept on a short leash and guided like little children. That's why you can't even overclock a mac.

As for your silly rant about Best Buy, you're once again comparing apples to oranges. Those are CHEAP machines that only a fool would use for pro audio. It's obvious that you don't know much about computers, and every one of your posts confirms it. Buy a **BUSINESS** PC and I can assure you that it will come with absolutely ZERO bloatware. Or, even better, build your own with way better components than the mediocre stuff that Apple overcharged you for.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Wolfie2112 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 pm

papi61 wrote:
Wolfie2112 wrote:And if anyone has any tweaking tips for Mac, I'm all ears. I don't doubt there are things I can do to improve performance in Mavericks.


There's nothing you can do to improve a mac. That was actually one of my points all along. You cannot tweak a mac because Apple won't let you. And that doesn't mean that windows won't work unless tweaked, it means that you can squeeze EXTRA performance out of a windows machine but you cannot get anything more than what a mac comes with. And that's because their philosophy is that their users are morons who can do serious damage if allowed to tweak, and therefore they should be kept on a short leash and guided like little children. That's why you can't even overclock a mac.




Now THAT is the most idiotic thing I've heard so far in 2014! :lol:

And I'm sure there's a few forum members that use "consumer grade machines" for pro audio, so I'd be a little more respectful....they are not idiots.
Wolfie2112
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Wolfie2112 wrote:Now THAT is the most idiotic thing I've heard so far in 2014! :lol:


As usual, the only thing you can do to debate me is insulting me. And, as usual, you can't go beyond an insult and actually explain your position. Because you don't have one.

Oh, and as for your usual lie and twisting of what I said, let me repeat it:

"Those are CHEAP machines that only a fool would use for pro audio."

Have you notice the adjective "pro"? I never ever said that people who buy consumer-grade computers are idiots. That was your usual lie.

Lastly, let's not forget that your precious macbook is a consumer-grade machine that would never ever pass military standard testing, like most business laptops do. Incidentally, no serious film composer would work on a laptop, except when out of the studio.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Wolfie2112 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

papi61 wrote:Lastly, let's not forget that your precious macbook is a consumer-grade machine that would never ever pass military standard testing, like most business laptops do. Incidentally, no serious film composer would work on a laptop, except when out of the studio.


I'm a serious film composer. I don't score blockbusters, but earn a healthy living. What exactly do you mean by that statement? I'm curious, as is the production house I work with.
Wolfie2112
Junior Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:34 am

Wolfie2112 wrote:
papi61 wrote:Lastly, let's not forget that your precious macbook is a consumer-grade machine that would never ever pass military standard testing, like most business laptops do. Incidentally, no serious film composer would work on a laptop, except when out of the studio.


I'm a serious film composer. I don't score blockbusters, but earn a healthy living. What exactly do you mean by that statement? I'm curious, as is the production house I work with.


Funny, because you dropped some names before, and yet you don't have a clue what they use every day. Here's a hint: none of the people you quoted use laptops to make soundtracks, unless they're sketching ideas in a hotel room.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby GPnicolett » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:39 am

Just to pile on - recent Mac OS X to Win 7 convert here. Actually running Win 7 off my 2009 Mac Pro....the performance and stability gains using Kontakt / VSL / Cubase are staggering. Of course people not doing the HEAVY sample work I am probably won't notice these kinds of increases.
Greg Nicolett | Composer
www.gregnicolett.com
Cubase 6.5, MacPro 8 Core 2009, 24gbRAM, Digi002r, VSL Ensemble Pro and Kontakt 5
GPnicolett
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:11 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:01 am

GPnicolett wrote:Just to pile on - recent Mac OS X to Win 7 convert here. Actually running Win 7 off my 2009 Mac Pro....the performance and stability gains using Kontakt / VSL / Cubase are staggering. Of course people not doing the HEAVY sample work I am probably won't notice these kinds of increases.


Yes, that's an EXCELLENT point. Those who claim there is no difference in Cubase performance (but also Kontakt, VSL, VEP etc.) between mac and windows clearly don't have high requirements and they honestly see little to no difference in their projects. That, however, does not authorize them to treat anyone who tells the factual truth like a monster or a liar. But then again, to some people criticizing Apple is like trying to kidnap their children...
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Freddie H » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Wolfie2112 wrote:
papi61 wrote:
Wolfie2112 wrote:And if anyone has any tweaking tips for Mac, I'm all ears. I don't doubt there are things I can do to improve performance in Mavericks.


There's nothing you can do to improve a mac. That was actually one of my points all along. You cannot tweak a mac because Apple won't let you. And that doesn't mean that windows won't work unless tweaked, it means that you can squeeze EXTRA performance out of a windows machine but you cannot get anything more than what a mac comes with. And that's because their philosophy is that their users are morons who can do serious damage if allowed to tweak, and therefore they should be kept on a short leash and guided like little children. That's why you can't even overclock a mac.




Now THAT is the most idiotic thing I've heard so far in 2014! :lol:

And I'm sure there's a few forum members that use "consumer grade machines" for pro audio, so I'd be a little more respectful....they are not idiots.



Well, I'm actual bit curious to hear what tweaks can be made on a MAC other then "Boot camp"?
:roll:

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
User avatar
Freddie H
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 am
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby Freddie H » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm

papi61 wrote:
GPnicolett wrote:Just to pile on - recent Mac OS X to Win 7 convert here. Actually running Win 7 off my 2009 Mac Pro....the performance and stability gains using Kontakt / VSL / Cubase are staggering. Of course people not doing the HEAVY sample work I am probably won't notice these kinds of increases.


Yes, that's an EXCELLENT point. Those who claim there is no difference in Cubase performance (but also Kontakt, VSL, VEP etc.) between mac and windows clearly don't have high requirements and they honestly see little to no difference in their projects....



+1

Yes it might be true, but anyway..

Let them use MAC if they want to, "Papi". Let people come up with their own conclusion instead trying to crusade all about it. I don't really understand the point about debating about this? :roll:
We all know already that Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 are the best choice when it comes to working with audio, DAW, multimedia, customization, performance and graphic rendering.

Honestly, I don't think the MAC users even care, Papi. Its not because of that they choose MAC and APPLE.
Still, if you need to work with LOGIC PRO then MAC are still the obvious choice to make.

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
User avatar
Freddie H
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:59 am
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

Postby papi61 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Freddie H wrote: it comes to working with audio, DAW, multimedia, customization, performance and graphic rendering.

Honestly, I don't think the MAC users even care, Papi. Its not because of that they choose MAC and APPLE.
Still, if you need to work with LOGIC PRO then MAC are still the obvious choice to make.


Yeah, that's what I said, Logic Pro is the only valid reason to use a mac, for anyone who just starts. Another valid reason is the inability of some people to switch OS, and that explains why some old soundtrack composers still use a mac as their master machine (but they already bought powerful PC's and use them as VEP slaves to take care of the heavy loads.)

The few users here who savagely attacked me here just because I dared to tell the factual truth are all Cubase users, who swear that not only Cubase works equally well on the mac, but that windows is the inferior OS that would never work out-of-the-box and that needs heavy tweaking. That's obviously to dissuade people on the fence. I don't like people who lie for an agenda, especially when it comes to bringing other people into a cult. That doesn't mean every person who uses a mac is a cultist. It's obvious that they are when they violently react to the truth.
Desktop: i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX770 + GT640-DCSL fanless, 3 monitors (30" 2560x1600 + 2x 27" 1920x1080), 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB SATA III (audio), 3 TB SATA III (sample libraries), 3x 3 TB USB 3.0 (backup/archives), RME UFX, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Slaves: 2x i7 2700k, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 3 TB SATA III, Win 8.1 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Laptop: 17" HP EliteBook 8770w (i7 3820QM 2.7 Ghz/3.7 Ghz max OC, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III), RME Babyface, Win 7 Pro x64, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Cubase 7.5, Sonar X3.
User avatar
papi61
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 48 times

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dickiedrummer and 7 guests