Recording Multi Instruments On Several Tracks

UPDATE.
I have just checked out the Tascam US-1800. Here is what it says:

A versatile 16-in/4-out, 24-bit/96kHz interface bundled with Cubase LE5.

The US-1800 audio interface from Tascam offers a high amount of inputs for a minimum amount of cash. The > US-1800 features up to 16 inputs and four outputs that are transmitted to your Mac or Windows computer over a high-speed USB 2.0 connection. > There are a total of eight XLR microphone inputs with phantom power and 60 decibels of clean gain, as well as six balanced line inputs, stereo digital I/O and MIDI in/out. Also Included with the US-1800 is Cubase LE5 workstation software from Steinberg. This 48-track audio workstation includes must-have features like automation, plug-ins, mixing, editing and MIDI tracks.

I tend to like this, but if the instruments are plugged directly into the interface (Tascam in this case) and from there to the DAW (Cubase in this case), how do you refine the sound going into Cubase? This is where I like the mixer. It allows you to refine the sound up to a point. You can tweak the Hi, Mid and Lo frequencies, even add some effects before sending out. Do you have that luxury if you send the instrument directly into the DAW via the interface?