432 Hz tuning?

I’m a huge fan of baroque music played on original instruments. Many years ago, I conducted a small such ensemble, and we always tuned to 415 Hz. I’m quite used to that, but I would not use it outside of baroque music. Oh yeah, you can hear the difference, big time (and no, I’m not exactly a spring chicken…)

BTW, nowadays many symphony orchestras around the world tune to 442 Hz. There are some definite advantages to that, for start you get a brighter sound. Actually some of them go even higher (Berliner Philarmoniker tunes to 445 Hz.)

oohhh ive got to watch this thread to see what ego’s come out to play as on FB the same topic was posted and it’s certainly nice and warm on that topic …

Popcorn and beer at the ready :wink:

The tuning standard tends to move with advances in the brass instrument manufacturing process. The brighter they get the more the A= xxx goes up. At the moment it’s 440 but there is 442 (not seen it orchestrally but it could be a military thing) nudging about out there and I think the 20th century started out at 338.

Plenty of orchestras play at 442 or higher. However, now that 440 is the standard in the UK and US, at least, I don’t see this changing.

DG

just a thought here.
it would make sense figure out the acoustics of the room you’re playing in and chose the key or other notes to hear the effect. maybe there’s a if not ideal so at least preferable key to play in every given room?
sounds like a better idea than the woo woo stuff in some of the links in this topic. :confused: :smiley:

That’s some good stuff you’re taking there HowlingUlf :unamused: :laughing:

Cheers for that. Not working in orchestras I wasn’t sure. They won’t allow pitchforks in the concert halls here.

PS: The wife just informed me that I haven’t got the right sort of pitchfork. Oh, dear.

Maybe you can compose a piece that creates a reverb-feedback-loop based on the room’s resonance. :nerd:

so the reverb excites other room modes? Ok, this is getting weird :sunglasses:

“Composing for a room” might prove to be futile , but at least the room, the standing waves, nodes and antinodes are real and worth an investigation. Anybody wants to be remembered as the Arnold Schönberg or Pierre Schaeffer of acoustics? Don’t expect a flood of chart busters, though! :laughing:

“Music for a Room” sounds more like John Cage than Arnold Schönberg… :laughing:

Yeah, I thought of him too, but I had my healthy dose of namedropping already, so … :laughing:

But what has all this got to do with being in tune with the Universe? Huh? :slight_smile: :ugeek:

432 hurts :cry:

I managed to tune from 440 Hz to 432 Hz with samples. Here’s how I did it:
Go into the midi control editor of a track in Cubase and change the pitchbend to a value of -1350.
This can be done in the same area as where you edit different Control Codes like CC1 and CC11 etc.

I experimented by playing notes from different samples and setting a tuner (from Guitar Rig if it matters)
to 432 Hz reference. By experimenting I found that a pitchbend value of -1350 gets you a tuning of 432 Hz.

Didn’t care much for the sound though, think this works better with naturally tuned instruments rather than
tweaking something that has been recorded in 440 Hz into 432 Hz with a pitchbend. But it’s one way of doing it at least.

Cheers, Michael

Nicely played! :laughing:

You can hear much effects only on real instruments ( or within electronic instruments like AAS Chromaphone).
Deeper tuned real instruments sounds different, but electronic instruments otherwise as modeling based synthesis not.
if you want hear it live within art, then go to barock or renaissance concert :wink:

I personally prefer 444Hz to 432Hz. 440 is standard evil frequency (devils frequency). 432 is -32 cents and 444 +16 cents which you can do in most VSTi instruments or some also have the actual 440Hz setting to change it. With other non tuneable VSTi you would have to add some pitch plugin on the insert channel. Will try find out which one I used later when I have a play but probably some free ones. I think 432 could be another psyop but who knows, it just sounds dull to me but we are all used to 440Hz. I think I did my last song in 444Hz and people seem to love it although basic it is also my most proudest so far

1 Like

Did the Beatles tune in 440, 435 or 442? :face_with_peeking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Chords on 432, 440HZ:

Most of us have relative pitch. Which means our first pitch heard is our reference for the rest of the intervals. If you change that pitch it will hurt, but after some time we’ll still be able to adjust it in our brain. I doesn’t matter if I go from 432 to 440, 444 or vice versa. It’s not pleasant to switch. But our brain will adjust eventually.

For people with perfect pitch it’s a totally different story! Their perfect pitch is based on 440HZ! So they will not be able to adjust their perfect hearing to other frequencies. That will hurt even more!

You all had the balls to enter this discussion so I assume you all know what your talking about and know how to tune an mp3, Flac or wave file? Humor me and create a folder with 15 songs all with different tuning from 432, 440 and 444 HZ. And make sure they switch to another frequency every time a song switches. Then play them back and see how that feels to your brain?

Imagine our Spotify lists sounding like this?

There is a reason why at some point in history we decided the central A would be at 440HZ!

There is absolutely no musical or commercial value in making music in 432 and 444 as apposed to the standard 440 HZ.

You’ll know once you’ve performed the test I asked you to do?

If you want to experiment with alternative tuning then explore Just intonation, Pythagorean tuning, mean-tone temperament or equal temperament.

Just tuning a whole song up or down is stupid and wont work and will just cause incompatibility to our brains!

1 Like