Lake of Tears

My major criticism would be that there is a severe lack of a distinct melody. There is nothing there to pull me in and make me want to continue listening on (from the perspective of a listener, though I did listen to it all.) The piano notes to the left at 1:30 may be fairly prominent, but the actual notes they are playing are more something I’d personally assign to a harp simply for colour of orchestration and to fill the sound. It just isn’t a melody to me, it’s just chord tones. I think at the end section for example you could really have a harp or woodwind doing a part, because just all piano both left and right lacks variation a lot.

The staccato cellos add a little variation, but overall the strings don’t sound very cohesive. It’d be better to vary the orchestration, try a french horn line perhaps for the 1:30 part. The strings sound like they are stretched too thinly trying to do too many different things. Such as the high violins sustaining chord tones and then the counter-melody from solo viola to the right with the staccato cellos below it. On Windforce for the main sections I have the bass/cello playing staccato and the violins playing the melody (which will double the vocal to strengthen it) whilst the entire brass section are sustaining the chord tones (with a little french horn variation at parts.) Perhaps you don’t want brass, but the strings sound like they’re trying to do too many different things so perhaps just rewriting them with more cohesion would work better.

But overall as a piece yes, I think it is an improvement in composition from your previous. So good going and keep it up. :slight_smile: