New Rack Is Inconsistent

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

New Rack Is Inconsistent

Postby suntower » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:46 am

1. There's no V arrow to select instruments.

2. The header with the RACK and TRACK scrolls with the instruments (like an HTML page?) which is silly. You have to scroll to the top of the 'page' to add a new instrument.

3. The on/off and hide/show buttons are -outside- the 'instrument'... like where the 'bolts' would go if it were real metal. Extra silly. Just move 'em back into the faceplate. Which will leave plenty of extra space to...

4. Fix the scroll bars I cannot stress this enough: The scrollbars are TOO THIN. AND that stupid N/I reverse scheme which makes one wonder what is the 'bar' and what is the 'scroll'.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Re: New Rack Is Inconsistent

Postby CubeDAW » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 pm

It takes some getting used to but it's not something I am constantly using. My complaint as someone else mentioned is that the VSTi are way too big which is a problem if you are using a lot of them. On my second, larger monitor it is ridiculously large. This size was just right in the original version. I'm thinking it is larger because of the new knobs. That is something I will never use though.
CubeDAW

Postby Steve Reaver » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:08 am

I absolutely agree with you both. If you look at the videos about the 'Rack', Steinberg seems to think that no one ever used it, well I have a ton of outboard gear and I ALWAYS use the Rack, even with plugins, I rarely use instrument tracks. The new Rack has completely screwed me over! Here are the problems that I see, I will re-iterate some of your's

1) It's TOO big ! I like to have the rack sitting next to the sequencer on the right of the screen, the new rack takes up to much real estate to do this.
2) It's to cumbersome to load a new instrument, requiring the scroll up to the top everytime to hit the load button.
3) The scroll bar is WAY too thin! but I always use the mouse wheel to scroll anyway, so sometimes when I hover over the window to scroll it is easy to accidentally change the preset on a synth that was not indented ! Very annoying.
4) It takes too long to load, pressing F11 used to pop up the window instantly, now there is a slight delay. This does not seem like a bit deal but when you have to do it hundreds of times it adds up.

Personally I don't really car about quick controls, if I want to edit a snyth I will open it up and do what I need to. I always end up hand drawing any automation anyway.....
Steve Reaver

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 am

Steve Reaver wrote:I absolutely agree with you both. If you look at the videos about the 'Rack', Steinberg seems to think that no one ever used it, well I have a ton of outboard gear and I ALWAYS use the Rack, even with plugins, I rarely use instrument tracks. The new Rack has completely screwed me over! Here are the problems that I see, I will re-iterate some of your's

1) It's TOO big ! I like to have the rack sitting next to the sequencer on the right of the screen, the new rack takes up to much real estate to do this.
2) It's to cumbersome to load a new instrument, requiring the scroll up to the top everytime to hit the load button.
3) The scroll bar is WAY too thin! but I always use the mouse wheel to scroll anyway, so sometimes when I hover over the window to scroll it is easy to accidentally change the preset on a synth that was not indented ! Very annoying.
4) It takes too long to load, pressing F11 used to pop up the window instantly, now there is a slight delay. This does not seem like a bit deal but when you have to do it hundreds of times it adds up.

Personally I don't really car about quick controls, if I want to edit a snyth I will open it up and do what I need to. I always end up hand drawing any automation anyway.....

but it's pretty!! 8-)

actually scratch that, it's as hideous as the rest.

+1 ;)
c6, c7.5.2, w7, i7 4930k 6core, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, SSL duende, RME HDSP, audeze lcd-2, avantone mixcubes, slate digital, ...
lukasbrooklyn

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:37 am

Steve Reaver wrote:I absolutely agree with you both. If you look at the videos about the 'Rack', Steinberg seems to think that no one ever used it, well I have a ton of outboard gear and I ALWAYS use the Rack, even with plugins, I rarely use instrument tracks. The new Rack has completely screwed me over! Here are the problems that I see, I will re-iterate some of your's

also btw add to the list-- slows down the program, sometimes to the point of crashing, in a busy project. try having a couple dozen instrument tracks loaded while the rack is visible, and go 'select all tracks', or use the "range" tool to make a vertical selection across all the tracks. the rack goes berzerk, trying to select all the instruments in the project one by one, makes the system lag for a while until it recuperates... and sometimes crashes while at that. it's brilliant.
c6, c7.5.2, w7, i7 4930k 6core, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, SSL duende, RME HDSP, audeze lcd-2, avantone mixcubes, slate digital, ...
lukasbrooklyn

Postby suntower » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 am

lukasbrooklyn wrote:also btw add to the list-- slows down the program, sometimes to the point of crashing, in a busy project. try having a couple dozen instrument tracks loaded while the rack is visible, and go 'select all tracks', or use the "range" tool to make a vertical selection across all the tracks. the rack goes berzerk, trying to select all the instruments in the project one by one, makes the system lag for a while until it recuperates... and sometimes crashes while at that. it's brilliant.

I thought it was just me. I already get lots of eye rolls for constant grousing but although I find Cubase to be -very- reliable, I've noticed that 'the rack' has some definite issues.
suntower

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm

suntower wrote:
lukasbrooklyn wrote:also btw add to the list-- slows down the program, sometimes to the point of crashing, in a busy project. try having a couple dozen instrument tracks loaded while the rack is visible, and go 'select all tracks', or use the "range" tool to make a vertical selection across all the tracks. the rack goes berzerk, trying to select all the instruments in the project one by one, makes the system lag for a while until it recuperates... and sometimes crashes while at that. it's brilliant.

I thought it was just me. I already get lots of eye rolls for constant grousing but although I find Cubase to be -very- reliable, I've noticed that 'the rack' has some definite issues.

and all it would have taken in the development phase was to go ctrl+a in an average project, to realise there is a design flaw. who exactly is testing this thing?
lukasbrooklyn

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:
suntower wrote:

and all it would have taken in the development phase was to go ctrl+a in an average project, to realise there is a design flaw. who exactly is testing this thing?

Perhaps it was not seen as a design flaw since this behavior can be turned off.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby suntower » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 pm

The bottom line is that the testers generally -do- report most of the issues but at some point, someone @ SB has to decide to 'ship it'. It's that way at all software companies because you'll never fix -all- issues.

What drove me nuts when I was a tester was that they would establish very early on certain hard ship dates regardless of the state of certain features or bugs. So in an odd way, Steve is probably right. If a bug would be hard to fix, but judged to have a 'workaround', it passes.

There is something in software dev called 'log rolling'... you're trying to work on code while in production.
Cubase 7 and 7.5 feel like the -biggest- changes to the program in years. But they feel like they're trying to log roll... change the entire UI a little at a time without messing with the engine or backward compatibility. There are -bound- to be glitches like this. (That thing where the track names got cut off at the bottom? Classic log rolling. Looks like it's a 15 minute fix? But 30hrs of debugging later.... :D)

I try not to grouse about stuff like 'Ctrl-A' because it just can't be helped when yer log rolling. I try save the grousing for poor design. Bugs can be fixed. But annoying functionality is the gift that keeps on giving.

---JC
suntower

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Perhaps it was not seen as a design flaw since this behavior can be turned off.

share the knowledge please :)
lukasbrooklyn

Postby SteveInChicago » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 pm

It's deactivating "Remote Control Focus for VST Quick Controls Follows Track Selection"

In any case it is too slow to use with many VSTs loaded, one would hope it would improve in the >.0 versions.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby Headlands » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 am

+1 Agreed on all points.

The new instrument rack is not designed in a way that is as fast, efficient, and space-saving like the original was. Not sure who thought this would be an improvement, but it's simply more clicks and scrolls than before, which is the major problem with the entire mixer, still.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby suntower » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 am

Shocking, but I will tell you. In my former life as a 'programmer' we had 2 kinds of customers: long time users who cared mainly about backward compatibility and pounded on us for lots of 'power user' features. And then there were new users who wanted features that were more in line with 'competitors' and 'new trends'. Sound familiar? :D I quit. Seriously, I couldn't take all the incessant *witch*.

Quick Controls is SB sincerely trying to make guys like me happy... people who have *witch* for years about CRAPPY REMOTE CONTROL. And they have to do that within the context of this 'SX' frame that is 10 years old. They have all my sympathy. They're trying to do something -global- under the hood. And it will likely take them -several- tries to get it smoothed out.

Unfortunately, -some- things gave been stretched as far as they can go ('how many more track types can we have before the entire screen is filled with them?)

My only non-stop grouse with SB is that they lack a consistent, accessibly design UI. But I have all the patience in the world with their work on features. They've finally started addressing nearly all the junk that has bugged me for years.

---JC

Headlands wrote:+1 Agreed on all points.

The new instrument rack is not designed in a way that is as fast, efficient, and space-saving like the original was. Not sure who thought this would be an improvement, but it's simply more clicks and scrolls than before, which is the major problem with the entire mixer, still.
suntower

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions