VST System Link with iMac and Mac Pro

Hi All,

I’m trying to get the most out of the available CPU power from both my iMac 2.9 i7 and Mac Pro 3 ghz 8 Core using VST System Link.
I’m using the RME fire face 800 to connect to my Mac Pro via Firewire which sends the audio to and from the Yamaha 01V96 VCM mixing desk.
I currently use the iMac with VSL’s VEP networking software over ethernet. The manual suggests connecting both macs’ via a digital cable, but as the iMac doesn’t have a ‘digital’ I/O, how should i go about connecting these two up?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SkM

I have no experience with these products, but don’t VEP and VST system link both achieve the same thing? IE, you don’t need both, just one.
The reason they suggest a digital connection is that it saves you the quality loss and latency of going DA and back to AD again between the computers. However, I thought VEP could transfer the audio data over the ethernet cable as well?
I’m sorry, the above might be all wrong, but that’s what I’ve gathered from reading bits about this subject here.

Hi Strophoid,

Thanks for your reply, yes they do in away achieve the same thing but VEP is AU only, also it doesn’t have the same audio editing abilities as cubase etc. Which in itself is not a problem just i’d like to split the overall processing across both Macs.

SkM

That’ s not a suggestion, it’ s a system requirement for VST System link - No digital connection, no system link. Unless maybe you use an audio interface that uses network connections as virtual audio ports - not yet tried it this way.

Hi Thinking cap,

Thanks for your reply. Yes you’re quite right, it’s a requirement. I’m hoping for a workaround given the hardware i have available. As the iMac has no digital I/O, is there a way i can use the RME 800 and Yamaha 01V96VCM to act as ‘Go Betweens’, given they both have SPDIF, ADAT etc.

Thanks,

SkM

Maybe if you find a driver for the 01v that let’s you use it as audio card, or however that works on Mac