I'm Bored: One -Really- Nice Thing About Cubase...

Post general topics related to Cubase 7, Cubase Artist 7 and Cubase Elements 7 here.

I'm Bored: One -Really- Nice Thing About Cubase...

Postby suntower » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:42 am

I dunno if 'threaded' is the correct word, but it's definitely FANTASTIC at letting you play back and work without interruption.

IOW: in every other type of audio, video, photo, text editor I've used, you have to stop playback during a surprising number of tasks. Cubase almost -never- requires one to stop auditioning.

You don't realise that until you work on other programs where stopping every time you want to add or edit something or modify a setting stops everything. I've come to take it so for granted and I -never- think to give SB credit but it's truly amazing.

I grouse a LOT about the UI but truthfully? If I had to choose between this capability and a more modern 'dockable' UI I'd choose this any day of the week.

IOW: if the price of a new UI would be losing this seamless playback under almost all circumstances I'd be strongly tempted to just stick with the current version.

For example, the ONE thing that drives me nuts about Adobe products, which I've written have a very nice UI, is that you have to -stop- all the time when you alter just about -anything-. But when I've groused about it on Adobe Forums the people are sincerely puzzled. They can't imagine being able to say, change an automation point without stopping playback. Something as simple as turning an effect on/off? Gotta stop playback. Because they've =never= had that ability it just doesn't seem to phase 'em. I tolerate it in CS because I only spend a few hours a week with it. But I'm having trouble imagining a DAW world with all those stops/starts.

Maybe competitors are better now, but I noticed that other DAWs I've tried over the years were not quite as 'always on' and if I had stuck with them it definitely would've started to grind. Maybe I've been living under a rock and this is now SOP, but I still find this pretty fantastic.

I dunno how it translates as a feature on a box... but it's worth noting from time to time. The core of Cubase is quite something.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Re: I'm Bored: One -Really- Nice Thing About Cubase...

Postby claesbjo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:16 am

quite agree..

Coming from Logic where you had to stop and start (or wait forever) in order to make your audio edits effective, I´m really impressed with the directness of the Cubase audio core. It´s a huge difference.
2010 Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz. 24 mb RAM. OSX Mavericks. Cubase 7.5.2, Logic PRO 10.0.6
claesbjo

Postby sycophant » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am

suntower wrote:You don't realise that until you work on other programs where stopping every time you want to add or edit something or modify a setting stops everything. I've come to take it so for granted and I -never- think to give SB credit but it's truly amazing.

It's especially great for composing MIDI with nothing more than a mouse.

I could not imagine working any other way.

I am hoping the final update(s) to Cubase cement this situation in for the long haul but I'd also be game to try Cubase 8 beta.
sycophant

Postby Xtigma » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:35 pm

hang on... other DAWs don't work like this?
Intel i7 64bit 16gb ram - Windows 8.1 - Rme Fireface UCX - Uad Octo - Uad quad
Xtigma

Postby GargoyleStudio » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Yeah, Adobe's stop/start requirement gets me all the time! I even find ProTools has some idiosyncrasies in this direction. However, to put the other side of the coin, it's really annoying that Cubase audio stutters when you bypass effects or adding new effects. I wish it was 100% smooth.

Mike.
[Win7x64, Cb7.5.30]
GargoyleStudio

Postby claesbjo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 pm

GargoyleStudio wrote:Yeah, Adobe's stop/start requirement gets me all the time! I even find ProTools has some idiosyncrasies in this direction. However, to put the other side of the coin, it's really annoying that Cubase audio stutters when you bypass effects or adding new effects. I wish it was 100% smooth.

Mike.

If it wasn´t like this, tracks where you put in plug ins with latency would be out of sync. This is how it works in Logic: no stutter but it will be out of sync until you stop and start again. Prefer the cubase way actually.

cheers
2010 Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz. 24 mb RAM. OSX Mavericks. Cubase 7.5.2, Logic PRO 10.0.6
claesbjo

Postby GargoyleStudio » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Yeah good point, but a smooth crossfade say to get it all back in sync rather than a dropout of audio would make me feel very smug :)
[Win7x64, Cb7.5.30]
GargoyleStudio

Postby Subpantelis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:14 am

GargoyleStudio wrote:Yeah good point, but a smooth crossfade say to get it all back in sync rather than a dropout of audio would make me feel very smug :)

Agreed. Some sort of fade out / fade in so that one doesn't hear the hickups. This would make a nice suggestion.
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz ¦ 16 GB DDR3 ¦ 128 GB SSD ¦ 2 TB SATA 7200 rpm ¦ NVidia GeForce GTX 680 ¦ Line 6 UX2
Windows 7 Home 64bit ¦ Cubase 7.0.6 64bit ¦ All plugins 64bit
Subpantelis

Postby mozizo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm

IOW: in every other type of audio, video, photo, text editor I've used, you have to stop playback during a surprising number of tasks. Cubase almost -never- requires one to stop auditioning.

You don't realise that until you work on other programs where stopping every time you want to add or edit something or modify a setting stops everything. I've come to take it so for granted and I -never- think to give SB credit but it's truly amazing.

Really ? i could not imagine stopping the playback for every little editing !!! its that the case with other major Daws ?!! it sucks if it is..!

Subpantelis wrote:
GargoyleStudio wrote:Yeah good point, but a smooth crossfade say to get it all back in sync rather than a dropout of audio would make me feel very smug :)

Agreed. Some sort of fade out / fade in so that one doesn't hear the hickups. This would make a nice suggestion.

that would be just great !! also for adding/removing tracks !

cubase Pro 8.0 64bit ,halion 5
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win7 64bit 8gb
(PC Desktop AMD dual core win xp32 cubase 7-32)
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6 Kawai Mp4 Korg PA800.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby mpayne0 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:29 pm

It's a little different though, because we don't need to "see" transitions. I apply a graphic filter, I don't care about the look between A and Z.

If I apply audio processing, I might care about the in between states as I round a knob.

What we do have, is the ability to preview our moves beforehand. But in general, the instant aural feedback needed for audio isn't that crucial in graphics. The eye does not play the same before/after, A/B tricks that occur in audio.

but hmm, One really nice thing about Cubase? I dunno. Can't think of anything in particular, but the fact that there haven't been any absolute showstoppers since I've started...ie. I am still using it, and will not change it, is a nice thing. I still want those missing Wizoo kits from LM4MKII, but hey.
mpayne0

Postby Patanjali » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:52 am

suntower wrote:If I had to choose between this capability and a more modern 'dockable' UI I'd choose this any day of the week.

Why would a 'dockable' UI force the need to stop playback?

I would think that the need for stopping or not is a function of the audio transport engine, rather than the UI which is only a trigger for, and displaying status of, deeper activities.

Or have you got some other agenda here?
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung 55" 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.30 64 : iC Pro : RX4Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
Patanjali

Return to General