I'm Bored: One -Really- Nice Thing About Cubase...

I dunno if ‘threaded’ is the correct word, but it’s definitely FANTASTIC at letting you play back and work without interruption.

IOW: in every other type of audio, video, photo, text editor I’ve used, you have to stop playback during a surprising number of tasks. Cubase almost -never- requires one to stop auditioning.

You don’t realise that until you work on other programs where stopping every time you want to add or edit something or modify a setting stops everything. I’ve come to take it so for granted and I -never- think to give SB credit but it’s truly amazing.

I grouse a LOT about the UI but truthfully? If I had to choose between this capability and a more modern ‘dockable’ UI I’d choose this any day of the week.

IOW: if the price of a new UI would be losing this seamless playback under almost all circumstances I’d be strongly tempted to just stick with the current version.

For example, the ONE thing that drives me nuts about Adobe products, which I’ve written have a very nice UI, is that you have to -stop- all the time when you alter just about -anything-. But when I’ve groused about it on Adobe Forums the people are sincerely puzzled. They can’t imagine being able to say, change an automation point without stopping playback. Something as simple as turning an effect on/off? Gotta stop playback. Because they’ve =never= had that ability it just doesn’t seem to phase 'em. I tolerate it in CS because I only spend a few hours a week with it. But I’m having trouble imagining a DAW world with all those stops/starts.

Maybe competitors are better now, but I noticed that other DAWs I’ve tried over the years were not quite as ‘always on’ and if I had stuck with them it definitely would’ve started to grind. Maybe I’ve been living under a rock and this is now SOP, but I still find this pretty fantastic.

I dunno how it translates as a feature on a box… but it’s worth noting from time to time. The core of Cubase is quite something.

quite agree…

Coming from Logic where you had to stop and start (or wait forever) in order to make your audio edits effective, I´m really impressed with the directness of the Cubase audio core. It´s a huge difference.

It’s especially great for composing MIDI with nothing more than a mouse.

I could not imagine working any other way.

I am hoping the final update(s) to Cubase cement this situation in for the long haul but I’d also be game to try Cubase 8 beta.

hang on… other DAWs don’t work like this?

Yeah, Adobe’s stop/start requirement gets me all the time! I even find ProTools has some idiosyncrasies in this direction. However, to put the other side of the coin, it’s really annoying that Cubase audio stutters when you bypass effects or adding new effects. I wish it was 100% smooth.

Mike.

If it wasn´t like this, tracks where you put in plug ins with latency would be out of sync. This is how it works in Logic: no stutter but it will be out of sync until you stop and start again. Prefer the cubase way actually.

cheers

Yeah good point, but a smooth crossfade say to get it all back in sync rather than a dropout of audio would make me feel very smug :slight_smile:

Agreed. Some sort of fade out / fade in so that one doesn’t hear the hickups. This would make a nice suggestion.

IOW: in every other type of audio, video, photo, text editor I’ve used, you have to stop playback during a surprising number of tasks. Cubase almost -never- requires one to stop auditioning.

You don’t realise that until you work on other programs where stopping every time you want to add or edit something or modify a setting stops everything. I’ve come to take it so for granted and I -never- think to give SB credit but it’s truly amazing.

Really ? i could not imagine stopping the playback for every little editing !!! its that the case with other major Daws ?!! it sucks if it is…!

that would be just great !! also for adding/removing tracks !

It’s a little different though, because we don’t need to “see” transitions. I apply a graphic filter, I don’t care about the look between A and Z.

If I apply audio processing, I might care about the in between states as I round a knob.

What we do have, is the ability to preview our moves beforehand. But in general, the instant aural feedback needed for audio isn’t that crucial in graphics. The eye does not play the same before/after, A/B tricks that occur in audio.

but hmm, One really nice thing about Cubase? I dunno. Can’t think of anything in particular, but the fact that there haven’t been any absolute showstoppers since I’ve started…ie. I am still using it, and will not change it, is a nice thing. I still want those missing Wizoo kits from LM4MKII, but hey.

Why would a ‘dockable’ UI force the need to stop playback?

I would think that the need for stopping or not is a function of the audio transport engine, rather than the UI which is only a trigger for, and displaying status of, deeper activities.

Or have you got some other agenda here?