Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

what I really like on the ilok thing (after I disliked that whole PACE thing a long time) is:

• I just have ONE iLok for hundreds of licenses.
    → would be cool to NOT have to carry additional elicencers with me

• lately there is a great zero-downtime feature as well as “lost and theft” option
    → last time I had an error with the elicencer it was no problem BUT it was over the weekend and I had to wait 2 days till Steinberg support was able to provide me temp-licences… Fortunately it was only the Cubase elicencer and I use Nuendo in the studio…

In some case they may, but they loose customers like myself that need to use more than one computer, it is a question of functionality.

Besides having a dongle on my laptop is a minor inconvenience, not a major show stopper, which is what always makes me wonder about those anti dongle posts … when evaluating some piece of software the minor inconvenience becomes a major factor in peoples purchase decisions over and above functionality?

Imagine if you were a tradesman in something other than music and would refuse to do certain jobs or service certain equipment because you do not like the dongle that came with the software. How impressed would your customers be?

You do realise that as many plug in developers use the Steinberg key as do use iLok so “one key, many software licenses” argument is not valid that way (some offer both, and some call their key something else, but they are eLicensers), more application developers use iLok because they do not want to shuffle money and business info to one of their competitors.

I do not have (exept Halion and Wavelab) any other software running on the elicencer…

On iLok I have about 130 Licences.

I just had the experience that makes the dongle feel warm and fuzzy. I had an HD crash, and restored from my backup. (4 hours) I plugged in the dongle and went right back to work. No worries about that moment being the very moment the license server goes down for a day, which can happen to any company. (My soft-elicenses did need to be reauthorized, which did work fine.)

Not making a case here against a service like the backup license scheme ilok 2 offers, but man, if I was using that instead of a dongle, and had had that crash a couple weeks ago when the SB authorization server was down, what a drag it would have been.

For long time I didn’t use any waves plugin for the ilok thing (I don’t have one, I don’t want one)

But now that you can install your licences in any standart Usb drive I considering buy some plugs from them…

First i am on my 3rd of the plastic dongles in 14 years or so, the first 2 just fell apart, and they never leave my workstation. I had to buy reaper to use live because of fear of loosing the dongle. If I bought a new dongle, could I put the licenses on the new one, and keep the current one to use with ZDT?

Give us a metal-like dongle.
It would be cool.

yes

No, because if you put the licenses on the new one, they won’t be on the old one, which is the one you are planning to plug in the computer. Unless you actually buy a second license…

Thanks for the reply, I realize that I can’t have licenses on two dongles, I was asking if I transfer the licenses to the new dongle of course the old one, while still functional will be empty. It seems to me that if I lost the new one I still have the old one and could install the ZDT license on the old one.

Thanks for the reply, I realize that I can’t have licenses on two dongles, I was asking if I transfer the licenses to the new dongle of course the old one, while still functional will be empty. It seems to me that if I lost the new one I still have the old one and could install the ZDT license on the old one.

Yes. If you have a spare dongle, the ZDT should be very quick and easy since you don’t have to wait on a new dongle. Sorry I misunderstood you.

Thanks

My dongle was in the back of the desktop, suddenly the plastic was broken and no more connection was made, broke down all by it self,
sturdy material? no metal would be a better idea,
I phoned steinberg, they said, we have a zero wait policy, break this one to unrepairable condition, make a picture and send it by email to us.
When we receive this email, we will send you another the same day, but do it now or you need to wait 3 days because of the weekend, I made the picture sended it, and they never sended the dongle they promised …
I phoned them I will buy one here in the shop, because without a 2 nd dongle you get no activation …, so there is no zero downtime …
It took 6 days my friends to get the activation for the new dongle that I had already for days but
they where so busy with all the new Cubase 8 activations they said, kind support but kind of very very slow too. :unamused:

I make more money, not making music, and the software I use dwarf’s the cost of Cubase/Nuendo many times over… guess what …not a dongle in sight. :unamused:

Bottom-line, it’s the actual SALE of licenses that drives the software business, and if your paying users are dissatisfied - it would make good business to find ways to meet their requirements.

Same here. My laptop at work is loaded with 30,000€ worth of software (CAD/CAM) and there is no dongle in sight. Everything is tied to this computer with a simple software license. This works beautifully and there is the option to use a dongle if I wanted to. But this is a laptop so a dongle makes no sense at all (same with Cubase).

Maybe they should look at the new MacBook, that doesn’t even have a classic USB port anymore. But Steinberg is the main user and the vendor of the dongle at the same time so I doubt that they will drop it anytime soon, no matter how much it annoys the users.

“But Steinberg is the main user and the vendor of the dongle at the same time so I doubt that they will drop it anytime soon, no matter how much it annoys the users.”

What would really annoy Steinberg, is cracked copies of Cubase, and other of their products, all over the net.
'Anyone seen those recently?

For me, the dongle is fine, especially when re-installing the whole setup. I do understand we don’t all work the same way.

Hi,

Oh well, my THIRD dongle has just broken in the exact same way that the last TWO did! Another 15 Euros down the pan!

Why can’t they make a durable one with (say) a metal chassis!?

Cheers,

Paul

I got my wrapped induck tape exactly to avoid that