2014 - and Cubase 7.5 still does not recognize a USB-device

Read only! All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be found here.

2014 - and Cubase 7.5 still does not recognize a USB-device

Postby Finsonic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 am

It is something I still wonder myself everytime I run Cubase:

Why doesn't Cubase recognize a USB-device that is turned on after Cubase has been started. Cubase should realize that a keyboard has been connected. Most of all if it has been used before already.

Most of the time I run Cubase and have to exit because I forgot to turn on the keyboard first. :roll:

Why don't you fix this?
CPU: i7 980X / MoBo: GA-X58A-OC / RAM:: 12GB / SSD: M4 256GB / ASIO: ESi Maya44e / OS: Win7 Ultimate x64 / DAW: Cubase Pro 8
CPU: i7 3930K / MoBo: P9-X79 Deluxe / RAM: 32GB / SSD: Vertex4 256GB / ASIO: RME HDSPe AIO / OS: Win8.1 Enterprise x64 / DAW: Cubase Pro 8
Finsonic

Re: 2014 - and Cubase 7.5 still does not recognize a USB-dev

Postby AP » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:31 am

It's not cubase it's Windows or cubase on windows. With MAC if you accidentlly disconnect power, USB or connect another device while Cubase is open it connects automatically I believe it does it also for the cubase elicenser USB. For example I can start Cubase without any device on or connected, power them after and switch audio interface and connect controller after cubase is open :D
Last edited by AP on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cubase 7.5.30, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.10 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby Prock » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:52 am

It's definitely a Cubase running on a Windows PC issue. Programs like Studio One have a button named refresh or detect or whatever) that you can press to detect your USB device connected after SO is running..

Since the forum and knowledge base cannot help with this, and it's a Windows problem only, I submitted a support ticket directly to Steinberg. Hopefully they will provide an answer. I will report findings after I hear from them.

A few links to similar topics...

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=51651
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=53513
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=52610&p=322351&hilit=usb#p322351
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 8.0.0 (64bit), OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz, RAM: 8GB, Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 650, AI: PreSonus Firebox
Prock

Postby DLearyUS » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:08 am

5-pin DIN midi still rox!
Cubase v8 Pro / Win7-64 Pro/ Tascam FW-1884 / Lots Of Other Toys
DLearyUS

Postby egelmett » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 am

Yes, it's a Windows issue, as the others have stated.

It's a minor thing, but a nice aspect of Core Midi.
egelmett

Postby G-string » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 am

Finsonic wrote:Why don't you fix this?

Why don't you search the forum first to find out the real culprit of the problem instead of pointing the finger at the wrong company ? :roll:
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby TabSel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am

It's a Steinberg Cubase thing. It doesn't handle plugnplay events issued by the OS (windows).
Win7x64Prof, Cubase 6 x64
TabSel

Postby msy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:46 pm

It is a combination of Cubase on Windows. My guess is that Steinberg would have to re-write alot of things to get it fully working in Windows. Even on Ableton it is not 100%, sometimes it requires a restart.

Sure it would be nice to be able to turn on/plug in hardware after you started Cubase, but since it only takes a minute to re-open Cubase and load your project it isn't a major issue for production/mixing. I can see the problem if you are using Cubase in a live situation where you by mistake disconnect something.

To be on the safe side you should always plugin and turn on your hardware devices before starting your DAW software. This goes for not only DAWs but all photo-/video-/audio-applications) and USB/Firewire/other driver-based hardware where the OS has to be aware of the device.
Cubase 7.5.30 (64bit) on Windows 7 (64bit) using jBridge for 32bit plugins.
HALion 5.0.1 (64bit)
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 I/O
DAW: Intel Core i7 3820 |
ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 6GB DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | 2x2TB SATA2 | Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 256MB (with drivers from the original CD)
Comp. related hardware: Access Virus TI, 2xUAD-2 Duo, Behringer BCF-/BCR2000, Akai APC40, Eventide TimeFactor, ...
msy

Postby Reiknir » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:44 pm

It's 2014 and internet users have still not learnt to use forum search ....
Reiknir

Postby Buchanan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Reiknir wrote:It's 2014 and internet users have still not learnt to use forum search ....
:mrgreen:

And they still know for sure it's down to Cubase. :lol:

Lesson one: Learn how to turn the keyboard on first. :lol: Like the rest of the world. Steinberg cannot fix bad user memory. YOU know what you use, they don't.
It's a Windows problem. You can wait for Steinberg to respond until the cows have come home and had a good nights sleep and their alarm clocks are going off.
It's a "Cubase problem" because you're on the Cubase site. Say the same thing on other tech forums and you'll get laughed off the board.
USB devices usually are not recognised because there is a fault with the unit or the driver. I have NEVER known Cubase to not recognise a usb device. It does happen under Windows itself now and again.
So roll your sleeves up all you with this problem. It's time to take a good look at the system. It's called maintenance. And it's educational.
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan

Postby msy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Buchanan wrote:And they still know for sure it's down to Cubase.

No need for bantering. I'm not sure you understand the cause.
I agree that it isn't a major problem if you work in a studio, but in live sessions it can be a problem that you have to reload the entire project during performance if something gets disconnected by mistake. USB-cables doesn't have clips so it can easily happen when you move around on stage.

It IS a Cubase-problem because it only reads the devices at Cubase-startup. Ableton Live and some other DAWs can refresh/read devices after startup if the user wants to. It's not 100% working in all DAWs, but at least it's something - and it proves that it isn't a Windows-problem per se. Microsoft could never release an update that makes this work, Cubase code must be changed.

Allocating the actual driver is something that Windows does - not Cubase. Cubase just has to update it's list of available devices (which may not be THAT simple since Cubase can overwrite settings/preferences in your current project).
Cubase 7.5.30 (64bit) on Windows 7 (64bit) using jBridge for 32bit plugins.
HALion 5.0.1 (64bit)
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 I/O
DAW: Intel Core i7 3820 |
ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 6GB DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | 2x2TB SATA2 | Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 256MB (with drivers from the original CD)
Comp. related hardware: Access Virus TI, 2xUAD-2 Duo, Behringer BCF-/BCR2000, Akai APC40, Eventide TimeFactor, ...
msy

Postby Finsonic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

G-string wrote:
Finsonic wrote:Why don't you fix this?

Why don't you search the forum first to find out the real culprit of the problem instead of pointing the finger at the wrong company ? :roll:

The one and only culprit is Cubase. There are different Windows versions... 2000, XP, 7, 8 and this problem is occuring on all these versions. The only company who can fix this is Steinberg. In this case, they appear to be some sort of lazy.

From the title, you should understand that I'm specifically pointing out that it's been an issue for ages. And Steinberg is still too lazy to put their hands on an issue which they are responsible for.
CPU: i7 980X / MoBo: GA-X58A-OC / RAM:: 12GB / SSD: M4 256GB / ASIO: ESi Maya44e / OS: Win7 Ultimate x64 / DAW: Cubase Pro 8
CPU: i7 3930K / MoBo: P9-X79 Deluxe / RAM: 32GB / SSD: Vertex4 256GB / ASIO: RME HDSPe AIO / OS: Win8.1 Enterprise x64 / DAW: Cubase Pro 8
Finsonic

Postby Finsonic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Reiknir wrote:It's 2014 and internet users have still not learnt to use forum search ....

2014 and some internet users still come up with stupid one line posts that are absolutely pointless.
Finsonic

Postby Buchanan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 pm

msy wrote:
Buchanan wrote:And they still know for sure it's down to Cubase.

No need for bantering. I'm not sure you understand the cause.
I agree that it isn't a major problem if you work in a studio, but in live sessions it can be a problem that you have to reload the entire project during performance if something gets disconnected by mistake. USB-cables doesn't have clips so it can easily happen when you move around on stage.

It IS a Cubase-problem because it only reads the devices at Cubase-startup. Ableton Live and some other DAWs can refresh/read devices after startup if the user wants to. It's not 100% working in all DAWs, but at least it's something - and it proves that it isn't a Windows-problem per se. Microsoft could never release an update that makes this work, Cubase code must be changed.

Allocating the actual driver is something that Windows does - not Cubase. Cubase just has to update it's list of available devices (which may not be THAT simple since Cubase can overwrite settings/preferences in your current project).

Leads coming adrift on live shows is DEFINITELY not a Cubase problem. Ableton LIVE is called that for a good reason. It's DESIGNED for live use primarily whereas Cubase design for live is certainly not it's prime end-user design concept. And, as an onstage professional for MANY years at many levels you get to know that you just make sure nothing goes wrong that will stop the show. And performing and also watching many bands play thankfully it rarely does. Making sure nothing goes wrong is all about making sure the small stuff CAN'T go wrong. Leads. Because you know the amps blowing up is a pretty rare, and entertaining, event. You gaffer the blighters down. Then nail the gaffer down. :D And a little mystery; "it can easily happen when you move around onstage..." WHY? You play a usb keyboard and carry it around? Could be an explanation but sounds odd to me.
Again, Cubase cannot be custom designed to take account of your memory loss. It's up to YOU to remember to plug in the keyboard and make sure it doesn't get unplugged.
How often does this happen to you? EVERY time? If it is it's another case for reprogramming the user end rather than rejig the industry.
Buchanan

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Switch to Mac ;)
MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core i5 2.5Ghz 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9, Apogee Duet Firewire, Yamaha S90, Cubase 7.5, Komplete 9, HALion 5.0.1
ChrisW

Postby sonicstate » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm

It is bad programming on Cubase part. Even Fruity Loops recognizes USB device automatically when turned on while program is already running. If other DAWs can do this, surely Cubase could, if someone would program it that way. Maybe some day they will. But don't blame it on Windows or PC, because all other DAWs recognize new USB just fine without restarting. Cubase is so old in some areas....
Cubase Pro 8, Win 7 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...
sonicstate

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:43 pm

sonicstate wrote:It is bad programming on Cubase part. Even Fruity Loops recognizes USB device automatically when turned on while program is already running. If other DAWs can do this, surely Cubase could, if someone would program it that way. Maybe some day they will. But don't blame it on Windows or PC, because all other DAWs recognize new USB just fine without restarting. Cubase is so old in some areas....

^this.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby Buchanan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:24 pm

sonicstate wrote:It is bad programming on Cubase part. Even Fruity Loops recognizes USB device automatically when turned on while program is already running. If other DAWs can do this, surely Cubase could, if someone would program it that way. Maybe some day they will. But don't blame it on Windows or PC, because all other DAWs recognize new USB just fine without restarting. Cubase is so old in some areas....

"Bad programming..." and your qualifications are....? :mrgreen: Bad programming on the users' part not an option? We push the envelope in Cubase before we push the envelope (stop it!) in ourselves?
Not exactly a straight comparison. Cubase having one of the most complex midi handling programming and FLoops having very simple routines. I'll blame it on Windows and PC on anyone here's computer but mine. :)
I don't forget to plug things in and I learn what the program does. Working in normality this is a teeny weeny problem requiring very little on the part of the user to fix. Can't be much wrong with C7.5 if this is all there is wrong with it. I think yall must be having a slow day. :mrgreen:
Buchanan

Postby TabSel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:33 pm

That's what computers are for: making things convenient for us.

It would be quite easy to program a plugnplay event handler, (dis)connecting hardware midi devices to cubases midi port aliases on a plugnplay os event.

It would simply be convenient, to be able to (un)plug devices while in a session, instead of quitting, replugging devices, relaunching the session. Some of us work with portables, only having two USB ports for example. I'd love to be able to plugin a midi keyboard when I need/want it, and exchange it with my EWI USB, when I need/want that, without relaunching my session, for example. You do this with audio cables all the time don't you? Or do you use a mixing desk, which also was invented to make things more convenient.
Win7x64Prof, Cubase 6 x64
TabSel

Postby Prock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks to all contributing to this thread.

Whatever it takes... All this back and forth bantering keeps this topic at the top of the forum list hopefully spurring Steinberg to take notice and finally fix it.
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 8.0.0 (64bit), OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz, RAM: 8GB, Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 650, AI: PreSonus Firebox
Prock

Postby Buchanan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:30 am

That's what computers are for: making things convenient for us.
Quote of the day. :mrgreen: Where do they come from? If you want convenient then Cubase is about as convenient as buying a helicopter to go to Tescos once a week shopping. Computers are convenient for putting a dog's head on your little brother in Photoshop. That's about as convenient as computers get. They do not plug leads in for you.
Thanks. Funny.

Post this in the "Issues" section. Which is where it should be in 2014.
Buchanan

Postby Finsonic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:04 am

Prock wrote:Thanks to all contributing to this thread.

Whatever it takes... All this back and forth bantering keeps this topic at the top of the forum list hopefully spurring Steinberg to take notice and finally fix it.

Thank you for understanding where my finger is pointing towards...
Finsonic

Postby Finsonic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:14 am

Buchanan wrote:Ableton LIVE is called that for a good reason.

Don't tell someone else what to do with the software they paid for. I can use Cubase for whatever I feel comfortable.

Also, you shouldn't seek excuses when there's no excuse for a pretty common capability of which Cubase is not capable of for ages. I might have multiple usb controllers which I might need or not during the creation a project. Maybe I don't need them at the same time, but want to switch easily without having to save, exit, disconnect, connect, start cubase, load the project, wait for it to load and start working. Then again, if I want to switch back or have another device connected. Even in production, there's the chance of unplugging or turning off the device accidentally.

In fact, this is a no go for a software that started its career back in the 80s. And I have used Creator, Cubase and Notator Logic on Atari 25 years ago. I know what I can expect from a software. And it really annoys me that Cubase, at that price tag and 0.5 updates that also cost money is not capable of such a simple feature.
Finsonic

Postby Finsonic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 am

Buchanan wrote:Post this in the "Issues" section. Which is where it should be in 2014.

This is no longer an issue. This is a demonstration of ignorance towards the people that pay breakfast, lunch and dinner of those who make this software.
Finsonic

Postby Finsonic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 am

ChrisW wrote:Switch to Mac ;)

Errr, what?

(No thanks, no Mac. Cubase on Mac is, apart from this, not as good as on Windows. However, if there was a Debian version, I'd definitely go for that one)
Finsonic

Next

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions