Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

Tip regarding stability: if you are still using the 32-bit, go for the 64-bit version of Cubase!
I changed to the 64-bit path a week ago and since that I face much less crash, Cubase is barely crashing now.

I often noticed while working with 32-bit Cubase that some background tasks (like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) take up quite a lot of memory, also opened browsers while working decreased memory a lot.

I have 16 GB RAM but it was useless as Cubase could use only 4 GB or so, I often noticed strange symptoms, like plugins opened without GUI, MixConsole freezes (did not react anymore) and memory intensive plug-ins or many instances of the same plug-in often crashed the whole app. When I quit browsers, Dropbox, etc. Cubase became functional again, but Windows Task Manager displayed the hard reality: around 4-5 GB physical RAM usage (including the OS) the whole system become unstable.

Now I think that many instability / errors seemed like “bugs” arised from the low amount of memory dedicated to Cubase!

I had the 64-bit version of nearly all of the plugins I am using (many of them are even VST3), a few are bridged with JBridge and things are really very smooth and responsive now. Projects now often take 8-9 GB of RAM which was impossible to finish on the 32-bit Cubase and even my backdrop apps, browser, etc. are opened and running in the background - no problems!

BTW it is not a good thing that Cubase become a memory hog over the years, but the only thing we can do is just to follow its ever increasing system requirements (or change to other DAW, but this is something I completely avoid and not an option for me at all due to spending so much time with the app, finished lots of work, etc.).