Cubase iC Pro for Android available now!

Maybe you set up Cubase that the connection needs a password?
Open Cubase and go to the menu Devices –> Device setup. Click on the '“Steinberg SKI Remote” and check that no password is required (or set up a new password).

Hello,

The Nexus 7 has a screen size of about 7". Up to about 8" the smartphone version is displayed. Above that, the tablet version is displayed.

Hey Crohde - I figured that - it’s probably a marginal call but I’d have thought the 7" screen would just about support the larger version - I appreciate that this is part of the problem everyone has with all the different sizes of Android devices. Can I get it on my Windows 'phone now please?

Joking.;

Surely it would make more sense if this was determined by screen resolution, and not physical size? The Nexus 7 2013 has a resolution of 1920x1200, yet there is only the smartphone display? Another way to look at it is, how many people have 7" smartphones, seriously?

This is a show-stopper for me. Can an option be added to force tablet display at least?

Hi,

It must depend on the physical size only, this is for usability purpose.
For instance you could have a Full-HD device on a 5" screen, in this case the user interface will have to adapt to the physical size otherwise this wouldn’t be usable with adult fingers.
In the actual state of Cubase iC Pro’s user interface, our usability tests have shown that it is no longer possible to have a usable split-screen interface when the screen size is below 7.9".

Another way to look at it is, how many people have 7" smartphones, seriously?

Internally we rather call them the small and the large versions because it’s not related whether it runs on a phone or a tablet strictly speaking.

Cheers,

Finally got the demo working. Could not detect my PC from my tablet or phone. Had to in put ip manually but that still didn’t work. Had to do a restart on my PC and then it worked. Still had to still input the ip manually. Just in case anyone finds the same problem as myself.
I’ve got to echo the thoughts here about the the size of the interface. I’ve got a 7.9 screen and there is still a ton of room to fit more stuff in there. This need a zoomable interface. Selecting tracks is a must.
I don’t know why this is implemented but when I use the back button on my devices, I’m disconnected from the network and have to reconnect. Also when I close the app I have to reconnect. An option to keep the connection when you pop out to check your emails might be a good idea.

I think this is a great app but it’s got a long way to go to make it worth the asking price. A lot of good stuff in there but it feels unfinished and the possibilities are huge. Maybe that’s why it feels unfinished to me.

I’ve got one suggestion that I think should be in there. Because you can connect multiple devices I think it would be cool to have a large transport page, big button etc. Then this could be opened on your phone while you have other stuff on your tablet.

I’ve only played with it for a short time so may be back with more ideas.

I was so glad to see this become available for Android, but when I first tried to make the connection to my studio machine, I ended up futzing with it for about an hour, frustrated with steam coming out of my ears - why didn’t my studio computer show up in the app? It was on the same network and I had checked and rechecked that all the needed requirements were met.

Here’s why:
MAKE SURE…to allow the connection through your anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, security software, etc., or disable those programs temporarily while your using Cubase IC. Otherwise you probably won’t see the needed computer in the connection listing when the program starts on your device, or even in your desktop’s network browser, for that matter. Actually, with all that security junk enabled, you may not even be able to find the IP address of the machine you wish to control. My fault, I know, but a lot of you may be having the same issue.

Having said that, I LOVE this app! It’s very smooth and responsive so far. Nice work, Steinberg!

I tried the demo last night on my Samsung S3 and it seems very underwhelming to me.

Some things that don’t make sense:

No ability to change the time line to ‘bars + beats’.

The loop indicators don’t lock to anything, making the ability to adjust them useless.

You cannot create new midi/audio tracks.

You cannot arm, or select or even see midi/audio tracks in the track view.

There is no stop button to allow you to return to the start of your recording.

Hitting ‘back’ does not take you to the last window, it always takes you to the ‘select computer’ window for whatever reason.

To me, it seems like TouchDAW is just as full featured as this, and costs about a quarter of the price…I was looking forward to this software, but am failing to see the incentive to buy it here.

I agree that all those things need improving, but one thing I do like is the way that cue mixes can be set up - all the faders are vertical so it is way better than trying to do it in nuendo/cubase using the tiny horizontal faders, although I’m not keen on the bright white background all the faders have in cuemix mode (a more subtle colour would be better).

Am I understanding it correctly that my computer requires a wireless device to be installed and that iC Pro only communicates via a “direct” ad hoc to the computer running Cubendo?

In other words no way of using this app by running the tablet through the wireless router and the host computer running wired to the same device?

No - your computer does not need a wireless device attached to it, although it does need to be connected to the internet.

My studio computer is connected to our network via a Cat5e cable and my Android device (nexus7) connects to that network via wifi. I just installed iC pro on both devices, entered the PC’s IP address on the nexus and it worked!

Ok, thanks, I’ll try that.

Doesn’t work over here.

I installed the remote thing in Nuendo, the app on my Nexus 7, start Nuendo, start Cubase iC on Nexus, type in the IP:

“There is no host assigned to this IP address.”

You need to go into the device setup and add SKI remote whatever in order to get your PC to show up in the IC Pro app.

It’s all there in the brief instructions.

I installed the remote Device Menu in Cubase 7.5, the app on my Acer A500, start Cubase, start Cubase iC Pro 1.2.0.69 on Android, type in the IP My Computer:

“There is no host assigned to this IP address.”

Firewall is Disabled
¿…?

Yeah, I read the “all there in the brief instructions” and added the “SKI remote whatever” “in the device setup” “in order to get my PC to show up in the IC pro app.”

And it doesn’t.

Like I said.

I’m not network savvy (someone else set up the network for me some time ago) and i’m aware that being connected to the internet all the time is not ideal, but it works for now.

In the Cubase iC pro Official Video Tutorial thread on this forum Mr.roos has put a lot of info that may help you.

It seems that in my case (even as a complete idiot) I was lucky and it worked, so I don’t want to try to change things at the moment.

Note. The app does not list anything in the connection box on the nexus so I have to enter the IP address every time.

In case you missed it. Restarting your computer may fix the problem. Worked for me. I spent an hour farting about until I decided a restart was worth a go.

I’m getting that cosy Beta tester feeling all over again.

I have actually just tried to install an ad-hoc network by following the instructions in the video tutorial, but my Win-7 64bit system does not offer me the option to set up an ad-hoc network - It only gives me the following options:

Connect to the Internet
Set up a new Network
Connect to a workplace
Set up a dial-up connection

The next option (shown in the video) is not there.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Ad hoc networks are by definition between wireless devices, if I’m not mistaken.