Vertical Markers

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Vertical Markers

Postby suntower » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:35 am

UPDATED: With Visual Indicators! :D

The picture is kinda stupid in that you probably wouldn't need this feature if all yer tracks fit on one screen. But in the CPR I captured this from, it take about 12 page downs to get from top to bottom, so having an instant vertical goto would be very helpful.

VerticalMarkers.jpg
(438.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I've been mentioning this a lot lately.

There should be a way to hang a little coloured tag on the end of certain key tracks in yer CPR (like one of those book marker thingees you use to dog ear key pages in textbooks you're not supposed to damage. :D )

And there should be 10 key commands that can be assigned to each of these coloured markers.

So, you press the key and presto... you're instantly at the marked track... but at the current bar/beat

Sort of like having 10 memzaps.

And of course, on the toolbar there should be a grid to click on to select these... as with horizontal markers.

To make room for this? Simple: Why not get rid of those 'Track Pictures'.
a) they're simply ----way---- too small to be useful.
b) they take up valuable screen real estate... even when 'hidden'
c) it kinda galls me that someone spent time working on something that silly.
d) there's everything from canaries to not one but TWO grand pianos, and yet.... NO COWBELL. :D
Last edited by suntower on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Re: Vertical Markers

Postby harcourt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:15 pm

I've always been cynical of instrument icons.....they give the software all the allure of a childs toy. But I concede they must allow for sight easy identification of tracks.

I think your quick navigation vertical bookmark idea is a winner. Looking forward to some graphics. It's a bummer that the Score isn't an option as an In Place Editor - its a feature that would be very useful in the score window as well.
Cubase 7.5.10 64bit, Dell M6600 laptop - i7 2920xm, 2.50 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win7 64bit, Echo AudioFire Pre8. Panorama P6, MIDI controller keyboard.
harcourt

Postby suntower » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Now with VISUALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Visibility Agents
I wanted to add that the most logical objection to Vertical Markers is that they have been rendered moot by the new Visibility Agents. Don't get me wrong, although it's gonna take a while, I am going to WILL myself to use those things. They are WUNDERBRA. However, they have a couple of drawbacks

1. They take time to set up. If you decide you want to work on, say, Cl. v. Drums v. Vocal, you have to go through the process of creating one... not onerous, but not instantaneous either. Far faster, for ad hoc work, to simply be able to set up 3 markers: pow, pow, pow and work with those in the heat of the moment.

2. It's kinda asking for the moon, but, as with so many things in Cubase, VAs would be a LOT more useful if they were X-Project; if you could save them and INSTANTLY re-select them across projects. As with colour palettes, key command sets, lists of VSTis, etc.

I would say that one of my biggest frustrations with Cubase... after all these years... is that starting a new project is often like re-inventing the wheel. I'm sure many of us, when we start on something, do NOT use a 'template'. No, we rifle our brains for a project that we -think- will be similar to the one we now have in mind. And of course, we're wrong... and we end up re-doing the same damned busy work over and over. OR you -do- force yourself to use a template and your end product sounds like.... a template. ;)

Creativity = Flexibility + Speed

The maddening thing about Cubase is sort of like government programs: they keep adding new features, but not the ability to -manage- them efficiently. So you end up doing a LOT of busywork. Eg... yes it's WONDERFUL that you can set up 16 guitar tracks. But since you can't just say 'Pull in all the guitar setups from xxx project...' in one go, even with all the 'Presets' you -still- end up doing about the same busywork as if you'd added 16 guitar tracks and then added all the inserts and sends manually.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Postby harcourt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:49 am

Visibility configurations are a good feature, however they can't be initiated inside an editor window, which once again means a click trip back to HQ land.

I would prefer something like vertical bookmarking, which could require minimum setup preparation, no visibility toggling, and which could quickly jump between bookmarked tracks with KC; but it would also have to be available within all editors to be really useful IMO.
Cubase 7.5.10 64bit, Dell M6600 laptop - i7 2920xm, 2.50 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win7 64bit, Echo AudioFire Pre8. Panorama P6, MIDI controller keyboard.
harcourt

Postby Neurosis » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Great idea
Over N Out

Cubase 7.5,Macbook Pro 2.7ghz i7 8mb ram,
Saffire Pro 14, Addictive Drums & Keys (all paks), Triebwork, Padshop Pro, Hypnotic Dance, Dark Planet, Ignite Amps, Mark Studio 2 Bass, Waves & Waveart Plugins, Ibanez Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen keys
Neurosis

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions