"Jing & I" -Post Apocalyptic Mix

A tale of sorrow and woe. Originally titled “Jane & I”, I recently re-titled it to make it a little more personal. My wife wasn’t impressed at all however, as her character in this tale perishes. ooops! :blush:

Original lyrics by Ted Barrett (a.k. ‘surfer’)

Jing & I

Feat: Dave Smith (guitars), Wolfgang Menzel (BV’s harmonies, guitars), Lenny Lee (bass)

A really good song and particularly like the arrangement…vocal performance is excellent but for me the vocal seemed a bit too “close” or “forward”
Like the piano sound…is it Alicia’s keys? whats the path please?

I can understand why your darling wife aint happy about the lyrics, maybe you should make it up by writing a new love song deticated to her…

best, Kevin

very nice ,i agree with Kevin it does have a claustrophobic feel to the mix,but i only listened in headphones .but all the same, very nice mix and great song and sung well

Love the piano, smells of Alicia keys to me. So much dynamic contrast and things coming at me, I couldn’t help but listen on. The transitions and busy mix were both pulled off very smoothly, probably not how I would have handled it but it definitely works, and very well at that.

The vocalist (you maybe?) is very talented but hard to hear what is actually being said. Maybe you could post the lyrics up? I know you didn’t write lyrics but the line “sharing our food and tears” hit me weird. Perhaps ‘meals’ instead of ‘food’ would fit the style a bit better.

All in all, I hate critiquing your work the same way I do a commercial artist’s. There’s never anything to be improved. Always just end up listening and enjoying it. :sunglasses:

Another great work, the strings and instrumentation just support beautifully. I won’t beat drum about vocal EQ but I may agree about the lack of intimacy of it’s sound especially at start. Not sure what your thought was as I know you always have a reason :slight_smile:

Cheers Kevin. Yes, Alicia Keys piano - pretty much the one I use for everything these days! Oh, and don’t worry… my wife has plenty of songs dedicated to her! I was just trying to restore some balance! :smiley:

Yup… me singing. I never fancied myself as a I singer… and I wasn’t. I was terrible. I used to get others to sing on all my stuff. About 7 years ago I decided to get a little bit more serious about singing and exposed my self to regular public humiliation by attending a local open-mic event each week… me, acoustic guitar, stool, mic and, a thankfully VERY forgiving audience! :smiley: Singing live every almost every week for quite a number of years now has paid off I guess!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Well, oddly you actually seem to be at odds with Kevin:

Actually a production like this perhaps needs two different types of vocal treatment - up close and intimate during the quieter passages and then BIG for the rest of it… :question:

The streets are cold tonight
Frozen winds are blowing
Telling all who’ll listen
Winter will soon be coming

The shelters filled up early
No room for Jing or me
Asked if we could wait until May
Gave us some soup and coffee

We’ve been traveling together
For a couple of years
Looking out for each other
Sharing our food and tears