Move Entire Event -Inside- Key Editor

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Move Entire Event -Inside- Key Editor

Postby suntower » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:35 pm

#61 on a series of related F/Rs that all stem from the fact that the Key Editor is isolated from the Arranger.

What I would like to be able to do is pick up and move the entire event from INSIDE the key editor. IOW, I want to be able to, whilst inside the key editor, be able to move not just the start/end points but the entire contents in one go.

What happens to me a LOT is that I'll be inside the key editor and realise that somehow the event has gotten moved. So I've been tweaking things without seeing that the problem is that the whole event needs to be jogged a bit. So I have to exit the key editor, figure out how to move it, then go back inside.

This is part of a long list of F/Rs where I've stated that one should be able to operate on events -inside- the Key Editor, not just move them, but split them, clone them (with a different colour), copy them, etc. without exiting the key editor.

-Maybe- the solution is to beef up the Inline Editor in some way... perhaps make it zoomable and then 'tear-offable' into it's own child window when needed.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Re: Move Entire Event -Inside- Key Editor

Postby mpayne0 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 pm

That one, Suntower, is a little bit advanced user, but I could chime in that I HATE operating inside of an editor.... make all my changes.....

Then leave, oops. It is a ghost part.

Either I'd like something to clearly indicate that (cuz small events don't show that vague line reference), the entire editor background should be gray, or maybe a button somewhere that clearly says GHOST that I can press to unlink.

To be able to step to the next successive event, while inside current event would also be cool.

Hopefully related to your F/R. :)
mpayne0

Postby suntower » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

It's not -really- that 'advanced'.

Remember that when yer in the Key Editor you're not really editing an event. The events live inside the editor.

You already can select and navigate between several events inside the key editor. All that's necessary would be for one to be able to click on the event and simply drag the entire thing left and right... just as you can do with the start and end point.

This is similar to being able to drag various 'layers' around in Photoshop. You can edit each layer (an event) but you can also move the entire -layer- around.
suntower

Postby mpayne0 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm sorry, I think I'm confusing "part" with event, am I?

I've never accidentally moved the part on the arrangement window, but I would love to be able to extend the boundaries while inside the editor anyway. I'm not sure why I'd use that, but it's the kind of flexibility that is needed.

Might as well be able to move the event (part?) down then? To the next track? While inside the editor?

Not to confuse things..
mpayne0

Postby SteveInChicago » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Hey Suntower, just for clarity – this request is for a command that moves the left and right borders together from within the Key Editor, right?
Cubase 7.5.30 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby suntower » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 pm

This is one of those times where one of your 23rd century 'movies' would come in handy.

I just would like to be able to -move- the entire 'event' from inside the Key Editor.

Eg. click on the header, start dragging and magically the start point, end point and all the -contents- start moving left and right a few ticks at a time. EXACTLY the same way one clicks on an event in the arranger and can drag an event left and right.

I basically want to be able to do all the things I now have to exit the Key Editor to do: move an event, split an event, clone an event. But -inside- the Key Editor.

---JC

SteveInChicago wrote:Hey Suntower, just for clarity – this request is for a command that moves the left and right borders together from within the Key Editor, right?
suntower

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 am

suntower wrote:Eg. click on the header, start dragging and magically the start point, end point and all the -contents- start moving left and right a few ticks at a time. EXACTLY the same way one clicks on an event in the arranger and can drag an event left and right.

Hm. Interesting ideas. I wonder what's coming for Cubase 8? There have been many requests for markers, chord track chords and other things inside the Key Editor. Who knows what they'll put in there. :mrgreen:

For me, I'm not so concerned about the start and end of midi part, just the events inside the part. If I want to trim the part to the events I would do it later, and there are super quick ways of doing it, that can be put into a single macro, just not inside the editor.

I dont' have much of a budget for special effects, so I won't be creating a cinematic oevre for your request. Really, compared to some folks here I'm at Buster Keaton era technology, and others are like George Lucas. 23rd century, heh.
Cubase 7.5.30 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby suntower » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:25 am

SteveInChicago wrote:I wonder what's coming for Cubase 8? There have been many requests for markers, chord track chords and other things inside the Key Editor. Who knows what they'll put in there. :mrgreen:

What's coming for Cubase 8? One word:

FEAR

What -I- want is -less-. I'd like about 1/2 the 'track types'. And most of my Key Editor requests could be put into the In-Line Editor. Eg. it would be just peachy if I could split or move an event with the In-Line gizmo.

The reason this matters to -me- so much (as if anyone cares) I do most of my recording as a 'live performance'. More often than not, there is some varying latency. If you've ever played in a marching band, one learns to play with a LOT of 'delay'. You're always adjusting to be in time with 'the band'. So the net effect sounds OK, but if you look on a grid, the tuba player would appear ---way--- out of time relative to a clarinet.

When you record 'live' all the cumulative PDC makes one's performance like that. So most of my 'editing' is simply adjusting the original performance to fit with the PDC... if that makes sense. Because the PDC -varies- as one adds/removes/adjusts various plugs. In short: I'm constantly 'sliding' events back and forth rather than editing individual notes.
suntower

Postby mpayne0 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 pm

That makes perfect sense.

Honestly I like the idea in general of simply more options to adjust the event inside of the event, the more I think of it. If I need to loop copies, it would be cool to copy, move it to next bar and maybe adjust a HH or something, rinse and repeat. Perhaps the last event should be twobars long, well yeah I'd love to extend it there. Keep movin on.

Working in editors is very quick work and requires a lot of dexterity and coordination, it's "in the zone" work, where you're doing mundane tasks and trying to do them fast. The less we have to exit, adjust and get back in, the better.
mpayne0

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions