Slate Virtual Microphone System

Lol, yea, that is what he is like in most of his adverts.

I feel there is a craft that is being lost by these types of things these days. It is discernment and choice making in pre-production. Having a vision of the completed production before recording has begun. The planning of mic / source / preamp chains / placements / and acoustic environment that will support the vision. Steve’s speal is opposed to my way. Too many people are focused on the next greatest piece of gear without ever mastering what they have in front of them, in the moment. I can’t remember the last time where I wished I had used a different signal chain. Limitations to a small collection of mics, preamps, etc. along with having to choose ways that will not be able to be changed develops discernment and the ear of the engineer. Also, you don’t need a $40,000 mic to get an awesome vocal sound for instance.

I am rambling now… But… this product is not for me. I had a dm24 digital mixer a number of years ago that had microphone modeling. Tried it and never used it. Similar principal, different technology. Slate’s product is neat though and I am sure some folks will love it.

Larry, you bring up an interesting scenario having only a couple of mics.