Are you a hardcore 'gamer' or create music for 'puter games?

I’m hopeless at games! :laughing:
The typical scenario is that every once in a while I try some free flash game for an hour or so and eventually I feel like I’m getting somewhere!!!
Then I look at my high score that has gone up considerably compared to when I started!
Let’s say I start my trial round with 500 points and after some practicing I’m up at 15000!!!
Beaming of self esteem I hit the button to publish my points at the top of the day score board and amaze the world. :sunglasses:

Then the cruel reality whacks me over the head with a skyscraper … the top of the day alredy entered is 32 768 145 . . .
. . .

:astonished:

:open_mouth:

:confused:

:frowning:

:cry:

Awww, wtf!!!

:mrgreen:

That’s stage 1 of gaming frustration. Stage 2 consists of playing a game for hundreds of hours against the AI, at settings that go from easy to very hard (usually over a couple of months.) Then deluding yourself that just because you beat the AI at max level, you are an actual champ. The reality check comes when you first go online and get your keister beaten to a pulp by an 8 year old kid… :laughing:

im a hardcore gamer I actually got to level 3 on sonic the hedgehog the other day and on the Snes nobody and I mean but nobody will ever be able to beat me at Mario carts on the ghost track , now you don’t get much more hardcore than that !!!

I used to play a fair amount of games, on various platforms. Some of the more memorable ones in terms of music: Metal Gear Solid (on PS2), and Tomb Raider 2 (PS). I don’t play much anymore, but once in awhile I buy a month’s worth of time and play WoW, which has some amazing orchestral music all done with samples

I feel Deus Ex deserves a mention here for its music. To me that’s still the best single player game ever made for various reasons, music being one of them :wink:. The other most important reason is the story and how much influence you have on it, never seen that paralelled in any other game.

Slightly off topic, but if you’re looking for a bit of nostalgia…

Play legacy console games in your browser

:mrgreen:

I notice the Fairchild video game console isn’t mentioned, at the time it was the main competion to the Atari systems.
(I used to run a store that sold them all as well as the early PETs etc. :wink: )

Hey, this is the lounge, nothing is off topic… :wink:

BTW, Microsoft has recently unveiled a bunch of free online HTML 5-based games, and boy, that emulation really takes the cake:

BTW, they’re all multi-touch-friendly, if you have Windows 8/8.1.

Yes – great game! At the time, however, my computer/graphics card was not quite up to snuff for that game, and play could get twitchy when all hell was breaking loose. I recall one point where I was about to meet up with some major boss from the UN/Illuminati/etc. guys, and I had to decide whether to join him, or kill him. I had some sort of rocket launcher, so I took him out. So from then on I was on “the other side” (freedom fighters if I recall). I never did finish that game :cry:

You should definitely try to finish it, and then another 5 times because there’s plenty of ways to end the game :slight_smile:
It looks terrible by todays standards but the gameplay is still better than most modern games!

I didn’t have the game any longer, so I bought a copy on eBay for $4. Now all I need to do is make an XP partition so I can play it :laughing:

It doesn’t run on Windows 7? I’m quite sure I’ve played it on 7 at some point.

music for games, yes a while ago…

hardcore gamer, as soon as Star Citizen comes out :mrgreen:

Occasional trips to “The Secret World” too but not really hardcore, great game though

I just assumed it didn’t. Didn’t it come out in the year 2000? Weren’t we all still on Win98SE at that point? :laughing:

Just try it, it should work and it’ll be worth it :wink:

I’m an old school point and click adventure gamer. I’m also scoring a retro point and click adventure game called Quest for Infamy. Will be released in a few months on steam, gog and humble. Currently recording voice actors and testing. First real big project I’ve done and I love it. Notched up around 80 mins of original music too! Www.questforinfamy.com

did you back Tim Schafer/ Double Fine Adventure on Kickstarter? Broken Age is a real masterpiece :slight_smile:

I didn’t back it I’m afraid but I did see it in action. Beautiful graphics and music but the gameplay seemed to leave a lot to be desired, which is a shame.

The last Tim Schafer game I played was Psychonauts which I thought was amazing. Gameplay and graphics weren’t top of the line but the story and graphics style are awesome.