C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Everything else...

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby jaslan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:47 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems and glad to see that several people seem to be genuinely trying to help. I thought I would mention that, while you say that some plug-ins which are not SDK 2.4 or higher and some that are 32 bit are working ok, it may still be possible that they are causing "unseen" conflicts with other plug-ins which should be working fine. Personally, I would remove everything, or at least the "non-compliant" stuff (even if it appears to be working fine) and see how that goes for a bit.
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
User avatar
jaslan
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby smapmap » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:09 pm

LordNibbler wrote:On the 32bit plugins, these are tools I have used for many years, know well and depend on and don't want to lose them. And when I find that 64bit Sonar X3 runs these plugins without any problem, I expected 64bit Cubase (generally regarded as superior to Sonar) to be able to do the same. Perhaps that was naive of me!

However, the freezes have been happening when I haven't been using any of the troublesome plugins. My routine at the moment is as soon as a plugin fails, close C7 down and restart to make sure bitbridge hasn't gone wonky then carry on without the plugin. So even doing this, I still manage to get GUI freezes or a total non response from C7.5 and have to resort to task manager to close it down.

Is my DAW suspect? Highly unlikely. It has been faultless for as long as I've had this build (a few years) - everything has been fine until I use C7.5.1. With Nuendo 4 and Sonar X3, UAD-2, stacks of plugins working almost without issue, it is difficult to say the DAW is suspect.

Am I over-stating that it is unusable? Look at it this way - if I can't trust a program not to freeze on me for no apparent reason and each time it happens, I lose work, am I justified in saying it is unusable? I think so.

So anyway, trying to remain positive - let me try one thing first if it is possible. Can I run 32bit and 64bit C7.5.1 on the same OS installation? (W7 Ultimate x64) And can I install the 32bit version now with the 64 bit version already installed? Anyone know on this please? (and save me trawling through the forum for an answer).

Thank you!


I've found Sonar's bit bridge to be far better at handling 32 bit plugs compared to Steinberg's.
It was crash city initially until I decided to go 64 bit all the way.
Its been plain sailing since. :D
However I really miss the Sonitus plugins. They are brilliant FX - great sound and excellent UI. I have never really found a suitable replacement. :cry: The like for like Steiberg plugs pale into comparison IMHO.
Cubase though - is way ahead of Sonar in almost every other department!
Software: Cubase 7.5.20, Komplete 9, Sonar X2a, Alloy 2, Trash 2, Ozone 5, Fabfilter Timeless 2, Fabfilter Saturn, Valhalla Room, Lounge Lizard 4, Tassman 4, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Guitar Rig 5, Z3ta 2, Z3ta+, Dimension Pro, Rapture, BFD3, Studio Drummer 3, Sonitus Plugs

Outboard: HP Z420 workstation, Xeon CPU, 24 Gig RAM, 3x1TB Barracuda HD 7200rpm, Roland GR55 guitar synth, Roland VG99, Focusrite Saffire LE interface at 24/48, AKAI EIE Audio Interace (24/48), Focusrite Penta optical Compressor, Samson Servo Amp, Tannoy Reveal speakers, SP C1 Mic, Roland KC350 Amp, Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage, Fender US Strat Deluxe, Soundcraft Spirit F1 16/2. Boss SE70, Boss DR5, Akai MPK88
smapmap
Junior Member
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:49 pm
Location: Strathaven, Scotland
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Rhino » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Bitbridges are huge troublemakers in any DAW, the companies mostly stopped investing in their development years ago.
Very unfortunate, but kinda understandable as this is no investion in the future.
The flipside of the coin - it will take 5 years at least until 32bit plugins are a thing of the past.
Make no mistake, some of the best plugins available anywhere today (and I have 2 loaded UAD Quads in the DAW, plus a jungle of dongles for top class commercial software) are free- or shareware which won't be 64bit anytime soon, just think of the incredible Variety Of Sound collection for example.
And then there are everybody's old favourites, which still do a great job, Kjaerhus Classic, Ultrafunk, you name it.
Why throw these away, they might be just what a certain track needs.
Long story short, use jBridge for all types of bridging, it works completely transparent.
32>64, 64>32, even 32>32 or 64>64 !
Just make sure to investigate in case you need wrapped plugins (automap etc), can't speak for these.
Btw, why not think different - 32bit host, 64bit OS, boatload of RAM, only jBridge the two or three main memory hogs as X64 and keep everything else safe in 32bit ?
That's what I do, and it works like a charm, I never hit the memory ceiling in Cubase yet, while making full use of my 16GB RAM when needed.
just saying,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino
Member
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby alexis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 am

Rhino wrote:...Btw, why not think different - 32bit host, 64bit OS, boatload of RAM, only jBridge the two or three main memory hogs as X64 and keep everything else safe in 32bit ?
That's what I do, and it works like a charm, I never hit the memory ceiling in Cubase yet, while making full use of my 16GB RAM when needed.
just saying,
Rhino


Hi Rhino - forgive my obtuseness please, but are you saying run Cubase 7.x as 32 bit in ...

... 64bit Windows 7.x or 8.x (for example) ...

... and that will let us use our 32-bit plug-ins no prob ...

... with JBridge needed only for the 64-bit plugs?


Thanks for 'splainin' ! :-)
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:55 pm
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Oscat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 am

I have never used bit bridge as I had to use jbridge to get plugins working when this all this 64 bit stuff got started because of that dreaded 32bit memory ceiling and bitbridge was a complete disaster.

I now run 64 bit Cubase 7.5.10 on Win7 64 with loads of 32bit plugins jbridged -- one advantage is that it has some settings which gives some scope for resolving problems and even though it's a while since I contacted him the developer really did give great support, 4 or 5 updates over 3 days to get Sampletank working a couple of years ago.

No problems running any of my 32 bit plugins at the moment and in a complete 64 bit environment.

I think Rhino is saying run 32 bit Cubase with 32 bit plugins and jbridge memory hungry 32 bit plugings into 64 bit so as not to hit memory ceiling and also jbridge 64 bit plugins back into 32 bit Cubase.
From London UK, working with a PC
Intel i7 2600K at 3.8 Ghz HT on,Thermalright VenomousXRT with Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD5-B3, Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb Hdd, 16Gb Corsair Vengence PC12800 9-9-9-24,XFX Radeon 6450 HD passive,Corsair HX620W power, Samsung SATA DVD Drive and a SATA DVDRW Drive all in an Antec Solo case
Windows 7 64 bit ; TC Electronic Konnekt 24D - Driver 3.2, Alpha Track and M Audio axiom 49 ----
Cubase 7.5.1 with Amplitube 3.11.2, SVX, Fender, Slash etc. SampleTank 2.54, TRacksCS grand , CSR, Fabrik C and R, Kontact player + Slate Drums and loads of other plugs.
User avatar
Oscat
Junior Member
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:22 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby greggybud » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:23 am

Oscat wrote: one advantage is that it has some settings which gives some scope for resolving problems and even though it's a while since I contacted him the developer really did give great support, 4 or 5 updates over 3 days to get Sampletank working a couple of years ago..


I will second that!

Joao, the developer of jBridge gives great support and worked with me via email over a period of several days trying to get certain plugs working. I still get some Auxhost errors and have to fool around with the jBridge settings, so it's far from perfect on my system, but at least the support is there.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
User avatar
greggybud
Member
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Rhino » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 am

Well, technically not C7 since I uninstalled it, C7.07 is even more buggy than 7.00 - not good for a "final release". :roll:
The setup I described works just as fine for C7 however, obviously I could not test with C7.5 yet, but I don't see why not.

Basically it works like that :
16GB RAM (ymmv), W7/64SP1, C6.5/32 >> you can use whatever plugin you want, zero bridge related problems (plugins remain what they are, obviously, you might still run into the occasional problem, I could not name one atm, blacklist is empty).
Only drawback : All the RAM a Cubase project can use, including VSTi and plugins, is between 3 and 3.5 GB, there is a certain overhead, you won't get the full 4GB that are the theoretical limit.

Workaround:
I only jBridge my two serious memory hogs (Kontakt 5/64 and Superior 2/64, ymmv) into Cubase32. Every instance appears as a separate process in task manager, with its own contingent of RAM (4GB, maybe more since they're 64bit, not 100% sure atm). You can use several instances no problem.
Both VSTi work flawless in jBridge (most everything does).
I have yet to hit the memory barrier in Cubase, zero stability problems, and I've been using that approach for years with medium sized projects (around 20 - 30 audio tracks, 5 or 6 VSTi, mostly sample based, a boatload of groups and FX including 2 UAD Quads and several convolution based guitar plugins).

No guarantees for your system, but why not try it ?
Give me 2 or 3 known good bridged plugins instead of bridging the whole shebang, any day.
Personally I see zero reason for going fully 64bit anytime soon, although this will be the future, no doubt - one day.
Good luck,
Rhino

Afaik there are one or two alternatives like Vienna Pro, haven't tried, jBridge is perfect for me.
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino
Member
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby iBM » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:30 am

This is the exact way I run Nuendo 4 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Except that I have j-Bridged most of my 64-bit plugins into N4. It just screams in performance, actually smoother than Nuendo 5.5, Cubase 6.5 (close race), and certainly C7.5 (which will remain a test project for me).

It is worth a shot IMO.
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
C7.5/N6 is installed on several test systems only.
Dynaudio BM15A | Universal Audio 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 |
TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++
User avatar
iBM
Member
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:49 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby sycophant » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 am

Rhino wrote:Personally I see zero reason for going fully 64bit anytime soon, although this will be the future, no doubt - one day.


I don't get it.

You have 16 GB RAM yet you still use a bridge?
User avatar
sycophant
Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:50 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Rhino » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 am

Read my two previous posts again, I explained it all in detail.
In a nutshell, 64bit RAM usage, full 32bit plugin compatibility, no Steinberg bit bridge = win win.
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino
Member
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Rhino » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 pm

iBM wrote:This is the exact way I run Nuendo 4 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Except that I have j-Bridged most of my 64-bit plugins into N4. It just screams in performance, actually smoother than Nuendo 5.5, Cubase 6.5 (close race), and certainly C7.5 (which will remain a test project for me).

It is worth a shot IMO.


I know, C5.5 / N4.5 was the best performing Steinberg host ever.
C6.5/N5.5 is the best compromise between performance and features imho.
Agreed about the "test project" part, in fact fully uninstalled now after testing 7.07. :cry:

ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino
Member
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Patanjali » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 pm

BitBridge was a sub-standard 'solution' from the first time it was introduced. It generated what may well be the longest thread on the old forum, along with a lot of user anger, arrogance and bloody-mindedness, and basically no response from SB.

Back then, many plugins didn't have 64bit versions (basically all the popular VSTs), and the general consensus was to use jBridge. What was strange was that Steinberg, with all their resources, couldn't duplicate the stability of that product of a lone developer, Joao.

jBridge is very simple (conceptually) because it does run each VST(i) in its own process (~3GB), separate from Cubase. Unfortunately BitBridge seems to run all its VST(i)s in the same process (<3GB), which means that a couple of large VSTis could crash it. Another DAW maker just licenced the jBridge technology, which is what SB should have done and it would have saved a lot of user issues.

I believe VEP runs each VST(i) in its own process as well, so will handle lots of VST(i)s.

At least these days, it is not so hard to go all 64bit. If you do have some old 32bit favourites, use jBridge or VEP and FORGET BitBridge, because what you seek is NOT there!

We are fortunate in that we no longer need to use any 32bit VST(i)s, but then the only VSTis we have are EastWest, which has been 64bit for ages, and for VSTs, iZotope were well ahead of the curve, and Antares and UA finally went 64bit last year.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung UA55HU9000W 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
User avatar
Patanjali
Member
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby LordNibbler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Catching up here - thanks for all the help and replies - very useful for me as this has been frustrating in many ways. I am calmer today!

I didn't get much time yesterday evening to do much in 32bit except try out some basic recording and exporting, I deliberately kept to simple things just to make sure I wasn't getting any audio and midi glitches so when getting in further, I know the core is going OK. I will say one thing for 32bit that I wasn't expecting - for some reason it feels a little more responsive than the 64bit version - doesn't make sense - but perhaps that is down to bitbridge again because when loading 32bit plugins in 64bit, there was a distinct pause before the GUI appeared which was always a moment of concern.

For the next two days, I'm doing a complete system rebuild onto a new SSD so wont be doing any more at the moment but at least I'll be able to approach this again with a totally fresh build just in case there is anything in the system at the moment which is causing problems.

When thinking back over what I was doing in the 64bit version that I didn't try in the 32bit version was placing the mixer in full screen mode on monitor 2. Everything I did in 64bit was using this feature but in 32bit I went back to the traditional spanning approach you would use in N4 gen hosts. Is it possible there is some unusual quirk with the fullscreen mode? My gfx card has certified drivers (not that means much) and I'm running in the standard mode you get in W7 where the taskbar sits on the left monitor and you have a full screen on the right.

So for now, I think the main criticism I have at the moment concerns loading plugins and bitbridge as this area is certainly troublesome.

First point - if the plugin completes the initial scan when C7.5 loads, why then when you attempt to load that plugin into your project does C7.5 either freeze or the plugin/bitbridge crash? Does C7.5 still maintain a plugin blacklist? Because if it doesn't like the plugin at scan time, it should go into the blacklist and not appear in the plugin list in the project.

Second point - Steinberg need to find a better way of protecting the host against freezes brought on by plugins. At the moment, I have a lot of plugins in the 64bit version which if I select by mistake will cause C7.5 to freeze. I don't make that mistake often but if I do, I shouldn't find myself with a frozen host. The font in the selector is small and a slight misuse of the mouse can leave you having to use task manager to close things down. Now really, in an application at this level, that should not happen - but obviously in the rebuild, I'll make sure I keep those plugins out of the way of the 64bit version. But the point still stands - in a modern application of this type in a modern OS, total freezes should simply not happen. I can't think of any other application I have used in the last few years that has been so vulnerable in this regard.

Third point - should bitbridge be included anyway? If it was good at detecting troublesome plugins then I would say include it but as it can't and as Cubase thinks the plugin is safe (by passing the initial scan) you have a situation where a feature in the program is exposing it to serious instability problems. I'd make one suggestion that bitbridge is removed and you run the appropriate 32 or 64bit version of C7.5 depending on your plugin set. This would also put more pressure on plugin developers who haven't updated to 64bit to get that done because at the moment, they can hide behind bitbridge even if they know bitbridge isn't a workable solution.

Anyway, I'll be busy now with the rebuild and get this all set up from scratch on a fresh disk. Back later.....
LordNibbler
New Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby LordNibbler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:23 pm

cpechet1 wrote:Here is the readme from the cubase 7 distro... (I would upload it but pdfs are not allowed...)

http://www.directvoxx.com/music/readme.pdf


Thank you.

This leads to the obvious question. If only SDK 2.4 is supported, then C7.5 64bit should not accept plugins with an SDK below that. It knows this information because it displays it in the plugin list window so a very simple solution that Steinberg could adopt which would save much hassle and dramatically improve the stability of C7.5 is simple:

When scanning plugins, if that plugin is NOT Intel Compiled VST2.4, then it is not shown in the available plugin list in the project.

That would make sure only supported plugins are loaded and significantly reduce the risk of C7.5 freezing - and freezes are events that should be avoided like the plague.

So..... simple ...... when scanning plugins, if it isn't Intel 2.4, skip it, don't make it available. I'd really welcome that because it would improve stability and save the users having to test the plugin individually (with a possible freeze each time). Users still have the 32bit version of Cubase to fall back to for those plugins.
LordNibbler
New Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby jaslan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Patanjali wrote:Another DAW maker just licenced the jBridge technology, which is what SB should have done and it would have saved a lot of user issues.


I don't agree that this is necessarily a good idea. To pay for a technology that is soon to be obsolete could be viewed as wasteful. I also don't question SB's decision to not put a lot of resources into the bridge technology. I think it depends on the DAW's target market. SB was likely thinking that more of their users are using higher grade plug-ins that would not take long to upgrade to 64 bit. Some other DAWs may be targeting a more "amateur" user group that will use a lot of free or "boutique" plug-ins.

Let me be clear. I am not supporting their decision. It is not for me to decide. I am just saying that it was their decision to make and I understand the logic they used.

J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
User avatar
jaslan
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby jaslan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 pm

LordNibbler wrote:
cpechet1 wrote:Here is the readme from the cubase 7 distro... (I would upload it but pdfs are not allowed...)

http://www.directvoxx.com/music/readme.pdf


Thank you.

This leads to the obvious question. If only SDK 2.4 is supported, then C7.5 64bit should not accept plugins with an SDK below that. It knows this information because it displays it in the plugin list window so a very simple solution that Steinberg could adopt which would save much hassle and dramatically improve the stability of C7.5 is simple:

When scanning plugins, if that plugin is NOT Intel Compiled VST2.4, then it is not shown in the available plugin list in the project.

That would make sure only supported plugins are loaded and significantly reduce the risk of C7.5 freezing - and freezes are events that should be avoided like the plague.

So..... simple ...... when scanning plugins, if it isn't Intel 2.4, skip it, don't make it available. I'd really welcome that because it would improve stability and save the users having to test the plugin individually (with a possible freeze each time). Users still have the 32bit version of Cubase to fall back to for those plugins.

Personally, I think a warning that the plug-in may cause instability and then letting the user decide would be the best option. Similar to Windows XP not being officially supported but if users want to try it out, they may do so.
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
User avatar
jaslan
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Patanjali » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 pm

@LordNibbler,

When I was still running 32bit and trying out the 64bit version of Cubase, I had four VST folders:
1. 32 = 32bit only plugins
2. 32.Both = 32bit versions of dual install plugins
3. 64 = 64bit only plugins
4. 64.Both = 64bit versions of dual install plugins.

I only included the paths for the 1 and 2 for 32bit Cubase, and 1, 3 and 4 for 64bit Cubase. That way, Cubase didn't get any plugins the particular version wasn't meant to get.

However, I would suggest that you totally forget relying on 64bit Cubase to handle your 32bit plugins, and just use jBridge for those 32bitters you must have.

As for the initial scan of plugins, there can be a world of difference between what a plugin may tell Cubase about itself for the scan (especially if Cubase doesn't ask for all it needs to know, perhaps like 'how much RAM will you need?'), and what it does when it gets used.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung UA55HU9000W 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
User avatar
Patanjali
Member
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Patanjali » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 pm

jaslan wrote:I am just saying that it was their decision to make and I understand the logic they used.

I think SB was banking on Antares, UA et al going 64bit much sooner than they did. Had to wait another few years.

The other DAW makers were probably banking on the same short timeframe and didn't want to waste valuable resources trying to solve a short-term problem when Joao had already done it AND was making it easy for them to incorporate it.

Also, given the HUGE stability problems SB was having with BitBridge AND the huge user backlash, they could have 'cut their losses' and helped their users somewhat. As it was, they didn't do much to fix BitBridge, so most users had to resort to jBridge anyway. Just SB could have made it easier.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung UA55HU9000W 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
User avatar
Patanjali
Member
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby LordNibbler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Patanjali wrote:@LordNibbler,

When I was still running 32bit and trying out the 64bit version of Cubase, I had four VST folders:
1. 32 = 32bit only plugins
2. 32.Both = 32bit versions of dual install plugins
3. 64 = 64bit only plugins
4. 64.Both = 64bit versions of dual install plugins.

I only included the paths for the 1 and 2 for 32bit Cubase, and 1, 3 and 4 for 64bit Cubase. That way, Cubase didn't get any plugins the particular version wasn't meant to get.

However, I would suggest that you totally forget relying on 64bit Cubase to handle your 32bit plugins, and just use jBridge for those 32bitters you must have.

As for the initial scan of plugins, there can be a world of difference between what a plugin may tell Cubase about itself for the scan (especially if Cubase doesn't ask for all it needs to know, perhaps like 'how much RAM will you need?'), and what it does when it gets used.


Thanks for your advice there - my current plan is simply to divide things into 32bit world and 64bit world with no overlap - but both running on the same OS installation of course. JBridge is a new one to me - I remember seeing an advert for it some while back and thought to myself, why do we need that when there is Bitbridge anyway? I guess now I know! :)
LordNibbler
New Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby LordNibbler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 pm

jaslan wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:
cpechet1 wrote:Here is the readme from the cubase 7 distro... (I would upload it but pdfs are not allowed...)

http://www.directvoxx.com/music/readme.pdf


Thank you.

This leads to the obvious question. If only SDK 2.4 is supported, then C7.5 64bit should not accept plugins with an SDK below that. It knows this information because it displays it in the plugin list window so a very simple solution that Steinberg could adopt which would save much hassle and dramatically improve the stability of C7.5 is simple:

When scanning plugins, if that plugin is NOT Intel Compiled VST2.4, then it is not shown in the available plugin list in the project.

That would make sure only supported plugins are loaded and significantly reduce the risk of C7.5 freezing - and freezes are events that should be avoided like the plague.

So..... simple ...... when scanning plugins, if it isn't Intel 2.4, skip it, don't make it available. I'd really welcome that because it would improve stability and save the users having to test the plugin individually (with a possible freeze each time). Users still have the 32bit version of Cubase to fall back to for those plugins.

Personally, I think a warning that the plug-in may cause instability and then letting the user decide would be the best option. Similar to Windows XP not being officially supported but if users want to try it out, they may do so.
J.L.


Wellllll.... I don't know. For any application of this type and at this level, stability has to be one of the absolute top priorities and when the penalty of instability is a total freeze - something that should never happen anyway - I think Steinberg would be entitled to draw a line saying those plugins wont be allowed.

However, if the penalty wasn't a total freeze and a stable fallback was provided, then I'd agree with you.

I've got to be honest here but it is completely unacceptable for an application like Cubase to be vulnerable to total freezes like this so Steinberg either need to remove the source of those freezes or provide an elegant escape route. Having to load Task manager to force-close it and lose your work is the nuclear option, it is something that should never ever ever happen except perhaps once in a blue moon with a hardware glitch.
LordNibbler
New Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby sycophant » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Rhino wrote:Read my two previous posts again, I explained it all in detail.
In a nutshell, 64bit RAM usage, full 32bit plugin compatibility, no Steinberg bit bridge = win win.
Rhino


So you bridge 64 bit plugins into 32 bit cubase running on 64 bit Windows?

Again, I ask why
User avatar
sycophant
Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:50 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Patanjali » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:13 am

sycophant wrote:
Rhino wrote:Read my two previous posts again, I explained it all in detail.
In a nutshell, 64bit RAM usage, full 32bit plugin compatibility, no Steinberg bit bridge = win win.
Rhino


So you bridge 64 bit plugins into 32 bit cubase running on 64 bit Windows?

Again, I ask why

From my understanding:
a) He has a priority to run his 32bit plugins stably.
b) 32bit Cubase runs 32bit plugins very stably.
c) 32bit Cubase can only use ~3GB for itself AND any in-process plugins
d) The two big VSTis are 64bit AND they need their own memory space. jBridge means they are NOT part of Cubase/32's 3GB space.
e) Of the 16GB, ~2GB for the OS, ~3GB for Cubase, leaving >10GB for the two 64bit VSTis.
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung UA55HU9000W 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
User avatar
Patanjali
Member
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby sycophant » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:35 am

Patanjali wrote:
sycophant wrote:
Rhino wrote:Read my two previous posts again, I explained it all in detail.
In a nutshell, 64bit RAM usage, full 32bit plugin compatibility, no Steinberg bit bridge = win win.
Rhino


So you bridge 64 bit plugins into 32 bit cubase running on 64 bit Windows?

Again, I ask why

From my understanding:
a) He has a priority to run his 32bit plugins stably.
b) 32bit Cubase runs 32bit plugins very stably.
c) 32bit Cubase can only use ~3GB for itself AND any in-process plugins
d) The two big VSTis are 64bit AND they need their own memory space. jBridge means they are NOT part of Cubase/32's 3GB space.
e) Of the 16GB, ~2GB for the OS, ~3GB for Cubase, leaving >10GB for the two 64bit VSTis.


I don't even get why there is such a discussion.

If you have a 64 bit OS, run 64 bit cubase and plugins.

I challenge anyone to list *exactly* which plugins they need for 32 bit compatibility and to explain *precisely* why they need them and to *define* in absolute terms the reason there does not exist an alternative.
User avatar
sycophant
Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:50 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Patanjali » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:17 am

sycophant wrote:If you have a 64 bit OS, run 64 bit cubase and plugins.

I dare anyone to list *exactly* which plugins they need for 32 bit compatibility and to explain *precisely* why they need them and to *define* in absolute terms the reason there does not exist an alternative.

Actually, no-one has to justify ANYTHING to any other user, only to SB, if they want something with Cubase to go their way.

However, to answer, 'alternatives' are not always 'fit for purpose'. Certainly, until UA finally went 64bit, I wasn't going to use anything instead of their UAD plugins!

When people seriously suggest using 'alternatives', I tend to suspect they are not 'serious' users. 'Alternatives' are usually OK if one is one of:
a) not really using much of the available functionality, so that the differences are not obvious
b) not very discriminating, so that they don't notice the differences, OR
c) not really appreciating what the originals really do, so that they do not understand the significance of the differences.

Many long-term sound engineers have come to rely on certain hardware for particular/idiosychratic sounds they impart. Much of this sentiment has also translated into the software realm. If a person likes to have a certain sound only available from one manufacturer, there is NO alternative that gives the same sound.

Up until last year, I was a technical writer. It amused me that so many people used to state so categorically that there were viable alternatives to MS Office. Maybe, for an individual who had fairly simple writing, spreadsheet or presentation needs, AND didn't have to conform to an enterprise's template/macro requirements AND didn't have to foot the retraining bill for their whole workforce! While plugins are not as complex as MS Office, their sonic characteristics can be the spice that makes a track shine or be unique, with the least effort. Horses for courses!

So please don't arrogantly presume that another user's particular VST(i) 'needs' are not valid or need justification to you!
Patanjali
Half of the folk music duo, DevaKnighT. Music available from CD Baby (MP3/FLAC) and the usual culprits. All recorded and processed on Cubase 7.x at 192k.
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GV-N750OC-2GI : SSDx4+2 : UAD-2Q : Dell S2340Tx2 & Samsung UA55HU9000W 4K.
HW: Nmn U87 Ai : JA251x2 : YRG : Korg padKontrol+uKEY2 : RME FF400+800 : M-Patch-2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win 8.1 Pro 64 : Cubase 7.5.20 64 : iC Pro : RX3Adv : Ozone5Adv : Goliath/SO PP/Pianos/Gypsy : Sup.Drum 2.0 : AT7.
User avatar
Patanjali
Member
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: C7.5.1 64bit - is this a joke? - from a new user

Postby Buchanan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:42 am

Did you try a Clean up & Defrag after installing the New versions of Cubase etc? The plug manufacturers should all have 64 bit versions of the plugins by now. They should at least have a support number or page where you could suggest they update.
Things are moving on. 64 bit has been out a while now. Likely if any plugin makers have not bothered to go 64 bit they're also dodgy on modern 32 bit Win 74/ 8 as well. What does Cubase behave like if you unload all the 3rd party suspects?
Everyone wants perfect software. But nobody's perfect.
Buchanan
Member
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 37 times

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest