Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

Great tips here and I appreciate this thread. Thanks all!

SHIFT + ALT click on ‘e’ will open all inserts on that channel.

SHIFT + click on ‘e’ will close all inserts.

This works with any modifier but the control key on a Mac. It seems like I once found a consecutive number method (not shift on selected input and output paths), like Logic does for Objects in the Environment.

Command click on Inspector items to open more than one. Shift click on any of them to close all of them at once. Handy when you use Inspector shortcuts since there doesn’t seem to be a shortcut to close them all at once. You quickly loose view of some items using the shortcuts unless you always toggle them. Thankfully toggling any item (that may be open already) now brings it back into view though.

Do you know if there is a way to toggle them from open and closed for the currently open windows or plug-ins. Cmd+opt+ctrl+w is what it is for Pro Tools and it is so handy, I use that feature all the time.

Also is there a key command to open all plug-ins on selected track without mouse clicking (option+shift on the edit button). Something similar to what “Edit VST Instrument” does but for plug-ins.

Did you edit the XML file manually? I get the pop-up this is already assigned to another key command.

there isn’t unfortunately. (no to both.)

(might want to try going through the generic remote-assignable commands though; it’s detective work but you may find some nice surprises there. lots more on top of what’s available as a regular keycommand. just not this very feature i’m afraid. what you can in fact find as assignable commands via generic remote is to ‘open insert # X’. you could then send 8 midi commands via GR to open up all 8 potential inserted GUIs on a given channel. again, not the best way of interpretting the concept of ‘user experience’ by steinberg.)

Great thanks Lukas for the ideas and help, happy that there is at least a way to implement it. I hadn’t seen the insert slot feature so I’ll have to set that up now.

Thank also for helping me end the mad hunt for the toggle open windows thing!

a video shows how to use VSTI as Click source and record (Export) it as an audio…
(italian spoken but understandable anyway for non italian speakers as i am )

Howdy People,

Collated a couple more clever shortcuts into the 1st post.

As this thread gets bigger and more and more unwieldy I’m sure I’m missing a ripper tip here or there, if you spot any plz PM me or re-post below, I’ll get onto it.

Should this be thread be sticky?

As always, thanks to all for your wiliness and especially for sharing it.

Hi Paul,

I think this is a great use of the forum- and you’ve taken the trouble to maintain the original post, so I stickied it. If you continue to keep it going that would be great.

If you (or anyone) could flag posts off topic posts, I’ll remove them to keep the thread clean. The moderators do appreciate when members flag posts since one can’t (and won’t! :stuck_out_tongue: )read each post. :slight_smile:

This is a “I can’t believe I didn’t know that” kind of observation:

"In the history window, you can go up and down using the arrow keys. "

All these years I’ve been using the mouse which is really hard to do accurately in that window for some reason.

Thanks to greggybud for pointing this out in another post.

Also: can close the history window with a CTRL-W (Win), as long as it’s in focus. Can’t be brain-dead about that though, if it’s not in focus Cubase wants to close the whole project. But it won’t without a 2-step confirmation.

lukasbrooklyn posted this very useful hint on replacing an audio file in your project by a new audio file, possibly influencing dozens of events:

Replace all audio clip instances - by lukasbrooklyn
To replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, the drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.

My question is: why is this not mentioned in the pool manual, or (if it is): where do I find such functions in the manual?
mr0berts

good tip :wink:

it’s not there is it?

oh well…

let me update the original tip i made, which had been:

“this one isn’t too known i guess: to replace all instances of an audio event in a project (akin to exchanging a sample in a sampler), put your replacement sample in the pool, then drag it from the pool whist holding shift, and drop it onto the event to be replaced.”

try the same with mediabay – it works much the same way. have your mediabay open on one half of the screen and drag + shift + drop audio files on events to replace all instances of that event. almost like browsing samples in a sampler.

i could think of a dozen improvements to this (like: “only exchange samples for events between locators” and so on), but still quite a powerful feature as it is (albeit uber-hidden).

my script for alt+mousewheel vertical scrolling that some people have been requesting

Here’s something that I figured out quite recently: grouping audio events with automation data. This might sound like a small thing, but it has saved me a lot of time and effort.

So let’s say you have a vocal line and you want to automate the volume for each phrase within that line. Snip the vocal line into phrases and place volume automation handles at the start and end of each audio event you just created (and anything in between). Now group each audio event with the corresponding automation handles (Ctrl +G).

Now, when you click the audio event, the volume automation that corresponds to that event is automatically selected too, so you can scale it up and down immediately, without constantly having to select automation handles.

VERY sweet, thanks for posting this!

This is awesome and would be extremely helpful, maybe there is a preference I am missing but it is not working for me in on OS 10.10.2 in Cubase 7.0.7, 7.5.40 or in Cubase 8.0.10.

Automation of course follows event with “Automation Follows Events” preference enabled/button pressed regardless of group. I can also group automation events but they are not linked to the audio event (clip). Thanks for the picture you attached.

yeah it’s not working for me either.