Can we PLEASE get rid of crash on exit? (Rage!!!)

Everything else...

Re: Can we PLEASE get rid of crash on exit? (Rage!!!)

Postby Freddie H » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Elien wrote:Hihi, freddiH is a funny guy :)

With some knowledge . Wisdom? ;)

Here's my Point: I do know something about Computers ;o)... I also recommend: Let your fingers away from so called "optimization tweaks". Most of them are not reasonable.

Still: Cubase "hangs" on Exit in conjuction with some other Software components even though your account is in Administrator mode . Running cubase under an Administrator account and ADDITIONALLY start it as "run as Administrator" can help.

Cheers, Ernst

Hi Ernst!
Sorry that you have this error and very strange!?
Do you use Novation Automap? It can cause this errors.

You seem to use Novation RemoteSL 61, Automap 4.

Best Regards
Freddie
-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H

Postby Elien » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm

HI Freddy, thanks for your tipp! I appreciate your postings all the time and also have a good laugh because of your nice way to put things.

Yes, it boils down to automap 4 ;o)... I found that out already. The Administrator Thing resolved it anyway.

Cheers, Ernst :)
Cubase 7.5.10 on Win 7 ultimate 64 Bit, Intel i7, 2x Matrox Graphics Card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, AKai MPD18, Novation RemoteSL 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap 4. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC System, Miroslav Philharmonic, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne
Elien

Postby MoPro » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 pm

Hello All,

I have the "Crash on Exit!" situation. More precise...I get a prompt that says Cubase 7 has stopped working, and the expanded view of the prompt indicates a APPCRASH with the application Cubase 7.5.exe!

Mr. Bartolini stated that a possible cause might be a component not responding to the "Closing" message sent out by Cubase!

After some further investigation in this area ( trial and error :)), I've seemed to have stumbled onto a possible cause for my particular situation. I use EuCon driven controllers, so in the Devices menu under Remotes I have activated the EuCon Adapter!

Here is the interesting thing... if I don't make any edits to the project using the controllers, Cubase seems to close without a crash! But, If I edit the project, and then close Cubase... I get the crash!

If I unload the EuCon Adapter, I no longer get the crash!

The version of EuControl that I am currently using is 3.01, which is not the latest! This particualr version of EuControl uses a sister app. called 'MC Client Service' that runs in the background and is visible in the Windows system tray along with EuControl!

The latest version of EuControl no longer uses the sister app. MC Client Service!

I never got this crash while using Cubase 6.5.5, but it also uses a different EuCon Adapter!

My next step is to try the latest EuControl update ver: 3.1 on the chance that there is an incompatibility with the earlier version of EuControl (3.01), and the EuCon Adapter for Cubase 7.5!

I realize that this post dosen't make a lot of sense to the people that don't use EuCon driven controllers.

The reason I believe my situation is relevant here is this type of error seems to be, as indicated by Fabio Bartolini that this is usually caused by a component not responding to the Cubase "Closing" message.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Al
PC Cubase 7.5.20 (64bit) | Cubase 6.5.5 (64bit) |WaveLab 7.2.1 (64bit) | HALion 5 (64bit) | Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)
Computer Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Intel i7 3930k | 32 Gig Ram | Dual Intel 520 SSD's | 2T Caviar Black
Laptop HP DV9000t | 4 Gig Ram | Win 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Cubase 6.5.1 (32bit) / (64bit)
Hardware RME FireFace's UFX / 800 | MOTU 2408 MkII / PCIe 424 | MOTU MTP AV USB | Avid Artist Series: C, M, and T
MoPro

Postby Elektrobolt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 pm

jaslan wrote:
Subpantelis wrote:As I said before, it hangs on exit even with no project loaded. If no project is loaded, then no plugins are loaded, right? So in my case, it's pointless to look for plugins as a culprit. It's probably rather a driver, or some USB thingy.

Who can say for sure? Not me... I don't know the inner workings of Cubase and plug-ins. I am just an unfrozen caveman lawyer. :D I know Cubase scans them, and "communicates" with them on start up. Maybe it tries to communicate again on shutdown. I would say it is worth a try to start with a clean slate.

J.L.

Good one, Jaslan!

---

Surely one must concede to the possibility that a component could get stuck even if the Cubase project closed, e.g. if not programmed according to specs, or try imagining something unexpected happening.

A light bulb flickering is not necessarily caused by the bulb, nor is a disturbance necessarily caused by the electric company. A click heard on a speaker while playing audio isn't necessarily caused by the audio source, nor the speakers. Network loss with a *smart* phone, or other device is not necessarily a fault of the device, nor the phone company. E.g. an air conditioner can cause any one of these things to happen.

However unlikely the consistency of these particular scenarios are over time, they present a visual for how things happen in more complex systems, and how one arbitrarily node within a system cannot bear claim without some decent evidence. A symptom is not evidence of cause. "Waking up one morning with an extra fat lip, doesn't mean one has been attributed with elephantiasis, even if's the only explanation one can think of."

A computer has many different parts and if you happen to have the one thing that just doesn't work with your system, you will experience problems. Even if two computers have the same components (which in itself can easily be just in appearance), software that was installed in a different (or sometimes even in the same) order, could mean that the computers are not operating identically.

You need to find out what it is that is causing *your* problem, because as a contrast, I and others are not experience this particular issue that is described. So this difference cannot just arbitrarily be attributed to Cubase, which is why Steinberg is welcoming you to contact their support team, which will help you find the cause. Doing so, could minimize the issue over time, since they could learn of things that could potentially be worked around. Does this mean it will be eliminated? Probably not, why? Well, I think I already gave my opinion on that.

Also, the project data doesn't really have anything to do with the instances of plugins, other than communication of various data, i.e. note on/off, patch data, etc.. E.g. play this note, stop that note, give me your properties, set these properties that X, and so on.

Cubase *is* a complex application (like any the DAWs out there) for sure, but it isn't the only software you are using. All kinds of drivers, plugins are being utilized, not to mention the ones that has nothing to do with Cubase per se. This does not preclude them from potentially causing problems. Email programs, browsers, instant messengers, social media apps... well, the list is long.
With Note Expression (VST3.5), individual notes contain their own set of controller data when played polyphonically.
VST Expression, Steinberg VST
Cakewalk Sonar X3 now supports VST3!
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby johngar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 pm

MoPro wrote:

My next step is to try the latest EuControl update ver: 3.1 on the chance that there is an incompatibility with the earlier version of EuControl (3.01), and the EuCon Adapter for Cubase 7.5!

Al

There is no difference with Eucon 3.1, you still get the app "hang".
It does seem to affect any settings or saves, as the "hang" actually happens AFTER cubase closes, it is more just an annoying window to close.
People have mentioned going back to Eucon 2.7 fixes the issue.
PC | Nuendo 6.5 64bit | Cubase 7.5 64bit| i7920 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | 12gb ram | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Genelec |

MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7 | OS X 10.9 | MOTU 828MKII |

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby MoPro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 am

johngar wrote:

Thanks for the report Johnger! I've been at the AVID forum and it appears that others are having several other issues with EuControl 3.1 that are scary enough for me to just wait for a better option, as far as EuControl!

I guess I should just stand back for a while and pick my battles wisely!

johngar wrote:It does seem to affect any settings or saves, as the "hang" actually happens AFTER cubase closes, it is more just an annoying window to close.

Did you mean it does, or does not affect saves or settings?
PC Cubase 7.5.20 (64bit) | Cubase 6.5.5 (64bit) |WaveLab 7.2.1 (64bit) | HALion 5 (64bit) | Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)
Computer Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Intel i7 3930k | 32 Gig Ram | Dual Intel 520 SSD's | 2T Caviar Black
Laptop HP DV9000t | 4 Gig Ram | Win 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Cubase 6.5.1 (32bit) / (64bit)
Hardware RME FireFace's UFX / 800 | MOTU 2408 MkII / PCIe 424 | MOTU MTP AV USB | Avid Artist Series: C, M, and T
MoPro

Postby johngar » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 am

MoPro wrote:
johngar wrote:

Thanks for the report Johnger! I've been at the AVID forum and it appears that others are having several other issues with EuControl 3.1 that are scary enough for me to just wait for a better option, as far as EuControl!

johngar wrote:It does seem to affect any settings or saves, as the "hang" actually happens AFTER cubase closes, it is more just an annoying window to close.

oops, I should read my post more carefully. :oops:
It does NOT affect saves or settings.
PC | Nuendo 6.5 64bit | Cubase 7.5 64bit| i7920 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | 12gb ram | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Genelec |

MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7 | OS X 10.9 | MOTU 828MKII |

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby MoPro » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 am

johngar wrote:
MoPro wrote:
johngar wrote:

oops, I should read my post more carefully. :oops:
It does NOT affect saves or settings.

Thanks for the clarification!

Interesting that the Crash doesn't happen in Cubase 6.5.5 though!

I'm calling it a "Crash" rather than a "Hang" because Windows refers to it as an APPCRASH in the error report! ;)

Al
MoPro

Postby Elien » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:26 am

I am using Eucon 2.7.1 - the newer Versions continue to have Connection Problems. And I also had the issue that error Messages appeared AFTER Closing Cubase when using EUCON 3.1

Cheers, Ernst
Cubase 7.5.10 on Win 7 ultimate 64 Bit, Intel i7, 2x Matrox Graphics Card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, AKai MPD18, Novation RemoteSL 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap 4. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC System, Miroslav Philharmonic, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne
Elien

Postby Elien » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:27 am

I want to add something: In some situations I got the vague Impression that the crashes are even related to verisons of graphics Drivers in conjunction with automap 4.

But this is a Little bit vague.

Cheers, Ernst
Elien

Postby G-string » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:53 am

Sectioned wrote:
Subpantelis wrote:I'm not making this up, I DO have crashes on exit on C7.501 64bit (windows 7 64bit). Projects usually don't get lost cause it's indeed possible to close the project without a crash before exiting Cubase. But workspaces and VST connections get lost because of this bug. I had this issue on C6 and on all versions of C7 (don't remember how it was in C5, but probably the same).

If it ain't possible to solve the crash bug dear Steinberg, then please add an option to physically save to disk workspaces and VST connections (and all other stuff that only gets written to file on exit) BEFORE exiting Cubase.

Sub.

HELLO

Sectioned wrote:are you running C7 in capability mode vista ????

If not TRY IT

If you want to fall on deaf ears then that's up to you !

Exactly , i blamed Automap for the crashing on exit since C5.5.3 and it turned out it was nothing to do with it on the windows based system .
The compatibility mode "vista" cured this problem for me and all my versions of Cubase , C5,C6,C7 and C7.5 now close properly.
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby ufoqbase » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Im on mac, not windows. These crahses are occasionally not always on C7.5.1, seems to be a problem with Cubase and Asio Driver because Logic does not have these problems using Audio Core. This append without plugs loaded. But it's occasionally not always this is strange, looks like a Ram problem sometimes more than Audio Card Driver. I've to force the qui, clean the ram, then reopen cubase to load a new song. Very stressful. Why we have to call the assistance? just read all the posts in the forum, we all here make your beta test job for free.
Macbook pro 3.3ghz, 16Gb ram, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate, Addictive Drums, IK Sampletank, Amplitube.
ufoqbase

Postby Fabio Bartolini » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:27 pm

ufoqbase wrote:Why we have to call the assistance? just read all the posts in the forum, we all here make your beta test job for free.

Because we need technical details and system reports, posting this for several users on the forum is cumbersome, confusing and just not feasible. Furthermore, it is a user-to-user forum, although we try to chime in to help.

It is not a beta test job: it is finding out why you are experiencing the issue.
Fabio Bartolini, Steinberg Tech Support
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Fabio Bartolini

Postby Elien » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

To all: come on, be fair - the things are complex and it is absolutely valid Point that Steinberg wants to have technical Detail etc. to investigate the case.

Cheers, ernst
Elien

Postby mpayne0 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm getting the crash on quits as well. Not really a big deal because the project saves, but it's a curious issue.

My theory is the UAD PCI cards.
I have had projects that did not crash on close until I start adding UAD plugins, and well other native plugins as well. When the project gets to a size, it occasionally (more often than not) will not close properly.

I will maybe try support, my dongle is kinda broken and I need to call them anyways. Cheers.
mpayne0

Postby AP » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Cubase 7.0.7 still crashing on quit. On the other hand Cubase 7.5.10 is rock solid. No crashes since I updated.
Cubase 7.5.20, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.4 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby Sonik » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:06 pm

mpayne0 wrote:I'm getting the crash on quits as well. Not really a big deal because the project saves, but it's a curious issue.
What's your system is?

My theory is the UAD PCI cards.
I have had projects that did not crash on close until I start adding UAD plugins, and well other native plugins as well. When the project gets to a size, it occasionally (more often than not) will not close properly.

I will maybe try support, my dongle is kinda broken and I need to call them anyways. Cheers.
MacPro 8 core 12gb HD 5770 10.8.5|Cubase 7.5.20|Wavelab 8.03|Protools 10|Logic X|3xUAD-2|
Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|API 512c|Avedis MA5|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Neumann M147|Apogee Symphony|Apogee Rosetta 200|RME Fireface 800|Euphonix McMix x2|
Halion Sonic|Komplete8|Korg Legacy|Stylus RMX|VSL Strings|EW|ReFx Nexus 2|Autotune 7|Waves 9|Vocalign 3|Melodyne|Soundtoys|Softube|Brainworx|SPL
i7 3,40ghz|Asus P8P67|16GB GSkill 12800|GTS450 1gb|Win7 64|Cubase 6.5.4|UAD-1|UA-25|
Sonik

Postby Sectioned » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:15 pm

HELLO

Sectioned wrote:are you running C7 in capability mode vista ????

If not TRY IT

If you want to fall on deaf ears then that's up to you ![/quote]

G-string wrote:Exactly , i blamed Automap for the crashing on exit since C5.5.3 and it turned out it was nothing to do with it on the windows based system .
The compatibility mode "vista" cured this problem for me and all my versions of Cubase , C5,C6,C7 and C7.5 now close properly.

yes some other user told me of this and as soon as i changed the setting mine worked perfect as well ;-)
Sectioned

Postby mpayne0 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Sonik wrote:What's your system is?

Ah I forgot..

MacPro 2008, M.Lion, 8GB, FW connected Yamaha N12, all 64 bit now.
mpayne0

Postby shanabit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Would some SMART person who PROGRAMS this DAW FIX this issue?????

Thread 59 Crashed:
0 ??? 0x000000012b1cc68d 0 + 5018273421
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8d53b899 _pthread_body + 138
2 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8d53b72a _pthread_start + 137
3 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8d53ffc9 thread_start + 13

EVERY time. Save project, close and WHAM, every time. Its NOT my system, its *quiz* poor coding :evil:

I DO NOT have this problem with: Logic 9, Logic 10, Garage Band, Reaper, StudioOnePro 2.6.2 etc, its ONLY Cubase doing this. I have the latest drivers for my MR816X rack as well. Its the ONLY application that does this ONLY one
OSX 10.9.4 MacPro 2010, 14GB Ram, 8 Core 2.4Ghz
Cubase 7.5.20, StudioOnePro 2.6.2,
MR816X 1.7.6
shanabit

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 pm

shanabit wrote:[...] Its NOT my system, its *quiz* poor coding :evil:

I DO NOT have this problem with: Logic 9, Logic 10, Garage Band, Reaper, StudioOnePro 2.6.2 etc, its ONLY Cubase doing this. I have the latest drivers for my MR816X rack as well. Its the ONLY application that does this ONLY one

The fact of the other apps not crashing on close doesn't mean that Cubase is poorly coded.
curteye wrote:No probs with that here.
{'-'}

Since there are Macs running Cubase and Mac OS 10.9 which are not experiencing the crash would actually indicate that is something on your system causing it. That would be more of an Apples to Apples comparison. (sorry pun irresistible)
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby sycophant » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 pm

shanabit wrote:Would some SMART person who PROGRAMS this DAW FIX this issue?????

Thread 59 Crashed:

EVERY time. Save project, close and WHAM, every time. Its NOT my system, its *quiz* poor coding :evil:

How up to date is your OS?

Have you run any optimisations or cleanup on your system?
sycophant

Postby jaslan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm

shanabit wrote:Would some SMART person who PROGRAMS this DAW FIX this issue?????

Thread 59 Crashed:

Have you submitted your support ticket yet?
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby quantum7 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 am

I also get the crash upon exit. When I first upgraded to Cubase 7 all was good, but once the first update came out it started and has now continued with 7.5. Cubase will do the exit crash even if I have loaded nothing up. Very strange! I used to have this problem years ago when I used Novation Automap, but haven't used that in a couple years now. I do have Eucon, though.

Here is the crash log that I get upon the exit crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase7.5.exe
Application Version: 7.5.0.114
Application Timestamp: 528cfb3d
Fault Module Name: exceptiondumper.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 51793144
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000002d2f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7d81
Additional Information 2: 7d8139a83917fe3f1706b5ee65cc8535
Additional Information 3: 6d0e
Additional Information 4: 6d0e2da007d9f1af3c272238ada99993
"it is better to compose, than decompose"

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com
www.SeanChristopher.net
quantum7

Postby noiseboyuk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 am

FWIW I get crash on exit consistently for 7.5.0, but never had it on 7.0.2. I'm on EuCon 2,x, no UAD - win 7 pro.
noiseboyuk

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous