Halion Symphonic Orchestra

Hi,

you get all details about the differences between HALion, HALion Sonic and HALion Sonic SE here:

Where is the documentation on importing KS, if you don’t mind?

Page 557 of the Operation Manual shows you how to load expression maps from the Inspector. If you load a program that includes key switches in Sonic SE, you’ll see an extra “Import Key Switches” option in the menu - I can’t find where this is explained in the manual though (just found it on page 560).

Hi folks,

I am pleased someone has started this thread as I have had the same issues locating and understating the options. So thanks for those who have posted answers and links.

I just wanted to double check with anyone if the HSO would be compatible with my set up please ?? I have Cubase Artist 7.5, HALion Sonic SE and HALion Sonic. I originally started with Artist 6, then paid to upgrade to Artist 7, and then 3 x months ago upgraded (for free/grace) to Artist 7.5.

Would the HSO be compatible and also (for those of you who currently own it) does it offer better quality samples than the VST library I currently have (Sonic and Sonic SE) please ??

Basically I am looking to take advantage of a few items in this weeks half price sale.

Cheers,

Paul

Ta for the link. Are there no audio clip demonstrations of this HSO do you know please ??

Thanks,

Paul

I’ve purchased HSO yesterday (and also Halion Sonic – until yesterday I didn’t realize Halion Sonic and Halion Sonic SE are different things). HSO is basically a set of sounds for HS/HSE, it appears inside HS interface as an additional soundset. I’m sure it is fully compatible with your setup. It would be compatible even if you only had HSE, but in this case you could only use it inside Cubase. HS works under other hosts too. Works for me in Logic Pro.

As for HSO audio demos, I had to search for them on youtube… It’s ridiculous that this kind of info isn’t easy to find on Steinberg’s site. HSO is orchestra-oriented library, so it’s not just better samples than you already have in HS/HSE, they are more detailed - instruments have different articulations and sometimes different samples of same articulation.

Thank you very much Sasha,

i have downloaded the ‘trial’ version of HSO (as well as some other products in the sale). It took about 90 x mins.

i am eventually going to purchase another Orchestral VSTi from a different manufacturer later in the year, but i thought i would take advantage of the Valentines sale offer. 1/2 price is a very good deal !!

i agree, it is very difficult to locate adequate demonstrations of the HSO and even on the Steinberg website there is zilch !! i am not sure why they have not promoted this product ?? Similar items feature an array of sound-clips and videos etc.

i was looking at the best way (options) to move from what i currently have, to purchasing HALion 5 :-

When you click on a product (ie. add to cart) from the Valentines page it places the item in your shopping basket at the same price (ie not at 50% discount) ?? i think (as advised in a previous thread) that i would need to purchase HALion Sonic 2 and then HALion 5 ?? So £82 plus £82. But i am really confused of the prices etc as regards to the Valentines sale !! Are they half price or not ??

Did you get your HALion Sonic for £82 instead of £162 ??

Ta,

Paul

I think Halion 5 isn’t on this sale… Yes, I paid half price for Halion Sonic 2 (99.50 euros).

Hi Sasha,

HALion 5 is definitely NOT on sale for sure. I have tried all purchase options.

Regarding HALion Sonic 2, I think my situation might be different to yours because I am upgrading from already owning HALion Sonic SE and HALion Sonic. I think you said that you were recently starting from fresh ?? To upgrade (as in my case) from HALion Sonic to HALion Sonic 2, it has ALWAYS been £82.00p and is appearing at this same price when I add it to my basket. The 50% discount is clearly shown on other items in my basket (eg. HSO, Grand 3 SE, etc) but no deduction is applied to HALion Sonic 2 or HALion 5. They both remain at £82.00p each. If they were to be discounted then they would appear amended at £44.00p each which would be too goo to be true I think !!

It’s been a real nightmare to be honest deciding what to purchase and calculating the cheapest option etc !! :confused:

Are you also planning to purchase HALion 5 ??

Best,

Paul

Well, I had Halion Sonic SE (included with Cubase) and trial version of Halion Sonic on two discs. I installed HS from these discs, purchased activation code for Halion Sonic 2.x and activated HS. Next day I realized that I have HS 1.6, while being able to use 2.x :slight_smile: Currently I’m downloading 2.x images and it’s really slow…

Have you seen a label on HS somewhere at Steinberg online shop saying “Free update to version 2” or something like that?

Hi Sasha,

Yes the HALion Sonic 2 (trial) 2 x ISO downloads takes about 3 x hours for disc one and 2 x hours for disc 2. Maybe the Steinberg site is understandably busy this weekend. When I upgraded (for free) from Artist 7 to 7.5 last year I tried over 20 x times because of such congestion. I would not be surprised if (tomorrow) Steinberg announce that they are EXTENDING the sale til the end of this week !!

Regarding the ‘free upgrade’ you mention, I think it is if you have a ‘trial’ version dvd of HALion Sonic 1, you can purchase the Activation Code for it and automatically qualify for a free update to HALion Sonic 2 (they call it a ‘grace period’). When I purchased Artist 7, I qualified for the free update to Artist 7.5 because I bought it during a certain week/month.

Paul

So Matthias,

Am I correct in thinking that HSO will work in a Cubase 7.5 64-bit environment running Halion Sonic SE 2, Halion Sonic 2 or Halion 5? Just want to make sure before I throw down a hundred bucks.

Thanks,
Matthew

HS5.

I have it working smoothly, it is actually a better shell than the original HSO, and the import, while taking awhile, did relay all of the KS information, oh, what the heck, more commas, and breaks to keep it real.

I just purchased HSO on the weekend. I have Halion Sonic SE but cannot get HSO working.

Also, I purchased a Celtic Instrument set that supposedly works with Halion - but not Halison SE? So, do I need to purchase Halion too?

I believe in order to import, or add expansions, you do need the bigger brother H5.

Hi,

I’m just gonna post into this thread.

On my quest for an affordable orchestral sample library without annoying iLok, I’ve come to Steinberg’s Halion Symphonic Orchestra. Now there are some issues:

1.) I’ve downloaded the trial version (http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_symphonic_orchestra/trial_version.html)
and installed the eLicenser, since without it, nothing would actually work. Now having done this, it tells me “No valid license detected” if I try to load it into my DAW (FL Studio). Why do I need a license for trial products, and where do I find it?

2.) Is it true that I get a complete orchestral library with all instruments/sections and articulations for 99€??? Appears a little unrealistic to me. But there is, unfortunately, NO information WHATSOEVER on any of the Steinberg pages. Not even in the manual that comes with the trial version is anything mentioned about the specifications of the program (which instruments are implemented, what sections, what articulations - I mean exactly, not general statements like “over hundreds of different programs” etc.) and if there are different versions of Halion Symphonic Orchestra, or only the 99€-version. Can anyone help me to clarify things, please?

Thanks in advance,
Yinyue

Yinyue,
Search for the manual for the old VST, it’s around 3.5 MB and has all the info you need.
And, no, I don’t know the current price for HSO, but it really is all you think it is, best deal for an orchestra VST around!
Cheers,
Benji

Hi, yes, you get a full orchestral library with HSO.
There are quite a few articulations, but not all…

Please mind that HSO is great tool for doing layouts or capturing ideas.

BUT:

It sounds actually quite cheap, it never satsisfied me really.

I finally bought me the VSL SE library and it is soooo much, much better than HSO in any regard!
You can expand the VSL library any time with is a great thing.
The VSl SE library for me is finally a tool for orchestral work that sound awesome, is very easy to use,
gives you great performance CPU wise, and again, sounds really good.

I have been fiddling around for years with cheap / old Orchestral Librarys.
Since i have VSL Library its a completely different game.
Authentic sounding, great GUI, you get good sounding results fast, faster with any library i know.
Save your money and do your self a favor and get VSL SE Vol1.
Its a very good starting point and gives you everything you need in the first place.
It’s really worth it!

(no, i don’t work for VSL)

Regards,
Paul

Ah, and you can put you Licence on the Steinberg Dongel, since it also uses the eLincencer system.
NO additional Dongle!

Regards,
Paul

Vienna is a dedicated software.

In that regard it probably is better than HSO.
But I had gotten good use from HSO, not for orchestral but for other genre of music, and some of the percussion is pretty good to my ears.