Mastering

I do all my own mastering and also some mastering for other people. Some excellent info here.

I definitely make sure I listen to the results in a few different environments, always try it out in my car, and also from my iPhone internal speaker. I also prep myself with some suitable tracks that I like in the studio before I start, and during the process sometimes. I used to use the Madonna synthy album from a while back but I seem to have lost that one recently… What I use depends on the material.

I export all my mix tracks (if I’m mixing) into a separate dir, this also really helps when you need to find them later!! Then I place them on separate tracks in a ‘mastering’ project. I usually send all the tracks to a group or 3 (because 8 inserts is not enough for juggling, see below). Then I can apply general plugins over the whole album, and also specific plugins on the tracks themselves (e.g. for a compilation from over the years they will probably need entirely different plugins to make them sound a bit more together).

For plugins I use almost entirely UAD because that’s what I’ve got. Sometimes I’ll use their Ampex tape plugin sometimes not, this depends if it suits the material. By that I mean that I’ll be juggling many plugins but swapping them in and out to see which ones sound best. I’ll always round it off with a limiter, and sometimes start it off with one too using very mild settings. The two limiter approach allows me to tame transients before EQ or other compression for example and then the 2nd limiter achieves the required loudness at the end. Other than that, Cambridge EQ, Trident EQ (nice and warm), and sometimes the Cubase built-in EQ. Multiband can help or hinder, but it’s a good fixer for uneven mixes.

Sometimes I’ll use automation too, say I’ve got a quite section and it needs a separate treatment to bring it’s level down after compression, easily sorted. Also sometimes I’ll mute a musical break for max impact, and maybe even make a transient hit stand out more using automation or an additional plugin. I don’t have a problem with surgical mastering if it helps the track.

I might also sneak a stereo widener in there. As per, it depends the material, and shouldn’t be overdone because it messes up the mono compatibility, but it can help to bring out synth pads or strings or widen the guitar to give a gold plated feel to the track sometimes. I use the built-in Cubase widener for this.

Mike.