Creating Vocal Harmonies

Thanks for the replies, gents.

Hopefully the vocalist will indeed do it herself (we are working over the internet), but they always like to act busy. I can never be sure if that’s the case or not, but it really doesn’t matter: I’d really like to be prepared to build them myself just in case. My main aim in creating this thread was really to find the theory behind this, I know 3rd’s, 5th’s, and 7th’s, but should I have scale snap on in Melodyne? And if I do, will all the note harmonies be perfect for there, or will they still need further adjusting? To drag up 3 notes or up 2 notes to create 3rds? Really confusing trying to find the theory, I’ve looked up tutorials, but just can’t seem to “get it.” Everybody insists just to “use your ears”, no solid formula.

Larry, I have long debated over Soundtoy’s Microshift, but have ended up just duplicating my main vocal lead and using the Fine tune option in the Info Bar at the top. Usually I’ll do +1 and -1 or so respectively for separation, but it comes out more like an effect. Is this the same principle as the Microshift or is the latter better somehow?

Thanks,
Blake