The 30 years of MIDI panel at namm 2013

an hour long discussion about midi ,past ,present and has it got a future ???

very informative ,and to think non of what we do now was even possible 30 years ago and dave smith commented "it’s truly remarkable that midi has lasted 30 years " and have no doubt with the other protocols coming out using midi as it’s basis it will be around for at least another 30 years .

These guys certainly changed my life , good work and here’s to another 30 years !!!

Aloha f, and thanks for the post.

The MIDI protocol has really changed my musical life.

It took about a year or so to become a full fledged MIDI guitarist (thanks warren sirota)
but once achieved; the ability to emulate other instruments in both live and
studio settings has allowed me to continue to make a decent living in
the music industry.

Using MIDI I have been the ‘bassist’ in some bands and the keyboardist in others.
Heck, I have even been the tympani player in a couple of productions of
‘Phantom of the Opera’.

Long live MIDI!
{‘-’}

I think that MIDI has had a tremendous impact on music as a whole. Personally I’ve got so much MIDI equipment that without MIDI I probably wouldn’t have bought more than a fraction of the lot. One can only play with so many toys. :slight_smile:

Thankfully, to Atari and Steinberg in particular who saw the use of MIDI early on, my teen dreams became reality. Of course, many many other people contributed to this, but these were the ones that got me rolling. JLCooper was another company that helped with a lot of MIDI equipment to tie all the MIDI devices together later on (i.e. for me).

I have been fortunate enough to be able to use all these machines for larger arrangements as well as being able to play any of them directly when desired. No crawling around behind, change wires or running around the room trying to play the various devices or find people to do it for you.

As filterfreak and curteye so eloquently indicated, MIDI really was an absolutely swell invention.

Oh I also like that Jordan Rudess eludes to Note Expression (as a concept) too! :smiley:

Classic:

“I’ll tell you, there’s not a whole lot of stuff out there that sounds better than a Mini Moog or Prophet 5, or some of my stuff.” - Tom Oberheim

MIDI changed my life also… and with digital audio thrown in too, our studio of the 80’s which filled rooms with gear, by comparison, was way less powerful than my current DAW, which fits on one piece of furniture. Who could have imagined that. I hope I live long enough to see the next 30 years, to see where this all goes. :sunglasses:

Long Live MIDI :smiley:

… and talk about getting it right the first time,
after 30 someodd years we’re still using version 1.0 !

Personally, I find MIDI one of the WORST developments ever in music; one one can clearly sense the absence of, for lack of better words, the “organic feel” that popular music had before it came into use. Having said that, I use it all the time :laughing:

MIDI is the language of gods …
:smiley: http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/ :smiley: