Proposed new DAW ... any comments/suggestions appreciated!

Hi - I’m looking at having this built to replace my very loyal and trusty c. 2005 Carillon Audio AC-1 running XP. I run small projects in terms of VSTis - Jamstix drums, the built-in Halion SE in Cubase 7.5, a UAD card, a few but not many plug-ins.

Can you guys give this a once over and let me know your thoughts please? Any comments, suggestions, etc. are welcomed!

Thanks!

Mobo: Z87 Matx Haswell 2-PCIe16x, 1-PCIe1x up to 32 gig RAM, USB3.0, USB 2.0

Processor: Intel- Core i5 4570 Haswell 3.2GHz Quad 6 meg cache NO HT

Power Supply: 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certiied Active PFC Pwr Supply

Cooler: Zalman - Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler

Quieting/Xtra Cooling: ADK-ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua

Case: Zalman - Z9 Mid-tower case, 3x 5.25, 6x 3.5, 1 2.5 drive bays

OS Programs Drive: Seagate 500G 16Meg Sata 600 1 yr warranty ST500DM002

Audio Drive: Seagate - 1 TB Sata 600 64meg cache 2 yr warranty ST1000DM003

Dual Head Video AMD-ATI Radeon 5450 1GB fanless 1DVI, 1VGA, 1 HDMI

DVD-RW/BDR: 24X DVD-RW Dual Layer

NIC/Internet LinkSys WUSB6300 IEEE 802.11ac - Wi-Fi Adapter USB - 867 Mbps

I think you could save some €30,- by picking a motherboard with H87 chipset instead of Z87, if you’re not getting the 4570K version it won’t overclock much anyway which is mainly what the Z87 is about as far as I know.

edit: just realised that if you’re getting it prebuilt from ADK you may not have an option to pick a different mobo.

It looks fine otherwise, should be a great machine.

Thanks for the feedback, strophoid!

It’s a good package, but let me give few observations (in order of importance):

NIC/Internet LinkSys WUSB6300 IEEE 802.11ac - Wi-Fi Adapter USB - 867 Mbps

Are you sure you want a WiFi net adapter. Every special extra hardware in DAW is unneccessary IMO.

Isn’t onboard graphics enough? Then you must be a gamer. In that case at least Radeon 7750 fanless … or even something more powerful, but then you have no fanless option.

Power Supply: 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certiied Active PFC Pwr Supply

As you are (based on your choises) aiming for low-noise PC, how about fanless PSU?

OS Programs Drive: Seagate 500G 16Meg Sata 600 1 yr warranty ST500DM002

How about 250G SSD? Boots faster, launches programs faster, less noise, not that much more expensive.

Quieting/Xtra Cooling: ADK-ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua

Again … that option with acoustic treatment would make you PC even more quiet.

If you still have money left, get i7 4770

Jarno - thank you so much for taking the time to review and share your comment!

I have made the (for me) difficult decision to make this my general use home computer as well, as I don’t really have the funds for both. As such, I think that means it needs to be wireless to connect to my home router. Additionally, won’t that also let me use things like the iC Pro or other wireless/remote controllers?

No, I am NOT a gamer … thank you for bringing this up! I will ask them to look at dropping this for on-board graphics only. It might not be any savings to me to do so … but would you recommend doing so anyway, for noise considerations?

Low noise, yes. I will inquire about a fanless PSU … thank you.

Yes, I saw a 250GB SSD for about US$128 … I will inquire about that.

I am not sure what you mean here: That I should look into the case PLUS some acoustic treatment? Or …

Alas, mission creep has already pushed me higher than I would like … have to draw the line somewhere, and with my small scale projects, hopefully the i5 would do me OK. What is it that an i7 is better at … higher track count, or is it more VSTi’s?

Thank you again, Jarno!

I can see that. My studio PCs have always also been a general-purpose PCs … and it hasn’t been a problem to me … just requires extra care when installing any software. But I always use wired ethernet instead of wireless, when possible (have some 100m/300ft of ethernet cables in my house). 2 reasons for this:

1. Every additional hardware/driver is a possible source of problems. So why not use motherboard’s ethernet connection and a cable to connect to the router.
  2. In the past I have had horrible DPC latency problems with numerous wireless devices. So I have decided: no single wireless device connected to my DAW, not even wireless keyboard or mouse, (unless it’s DAW-specific device, like my Frotier Tranzport). Maybe this isn’t a real problem in these days anymore, but I get paranoid whenever I hear the word “wireless”.

I will ask them to look at dropping this for on-board graphics only. It might not be any savings to me to do so

It should save you $60

I will inquire about a fanless PSU … thank you.

Should cost you extra $60 (compared to Corsair 500W)

I am not sure what you mean here: That I should look into the case PLUS some acoustic treatment? Or …

This is standard option for ADK computers … I don’t know who is your dealer, but your proposed system is obviously a standard ADK setup:
http://www.adkproaudio.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=134
(under “Quieting/ Xtra cooling” there).
It costs extra $100 (compared to your proposed “ADK Quiet Case fans” option)… so it’s a bit expensive option, but in my opinion you can’t spend too much for making your PC silent. I just built one couple of weeks ago and I’m really happy with the noise level (after spending quite a bit for that), but can’t stop thinking: “I should have chosen that fanless PSU and more quiet case fans” (yes, I have acoustically treated case).

What is it that an i7 is better at … higher track count, or is it more VSTi’s?

Both and maybe also possible to use lower latency setting. As seen from ADK page (see link above) you can have i7 model 4771 for extra $112. To compare performance difference between 4570 & 4771 see:

In my opinion the difference is significant and well worth the extra money.

Thank you again, Jarno. I will look at an edit of the build and discuss with my ADK guy (Chris L, seems patient, informative, and not pushy). Your time and consideration is much appreciated!

Hi all!

I noticed the W7 is “OEM” … is that anything to be concerned about/that I should try to change?

Thanks -

In practise it means that license of W7 is tied to one specific computer (the first one it’s activated on) and can’t be transferred to another computer.

I guess I can try to ask ADK to make it more flexible for me, in case I want to move it to another DAW. The need hasn’t been there on my previous two DAWs (about 14 years), and I have a feeling they won’t be able to do anything but OEM, but I can always ask!

Thanks, Jarno -

Looks like they have an option of W7 Home Premium (non-OEM) instead of W7 Pro OEM … and it’s even $35 cheaper … but you have to consider what you loose when having “Home” instead of “Pro”. For me it looks like the only significant difference on DAW usage is the “Home” only supporths 16G of RAM memory.

Interesting! In my conversation w/ the ADK rep he suggested going up to the “Pro” to preserve flexibility should I want to go higher than 16G RAM. The topic of OEM vs non-OEM didn’t come up.

More points for thought and discussion next week - thanks, Jarno!

OEM means nothing not a concern at all
you can move it to another system (has to deactivated on old) this applies to ANY versions

onboard video vs dedicated video: for many onboard is fine however thre are several plug-ins that demand a better video than onboard Waves comes to mind but several others.

Wifi: we pick the ones we do based on ability to run low DPC or more, not causing DPC spiking…

Wow! Didn’t know this. OEM being non-transferrable is one of those net myths, then? Thanks for the information.

True. But I have had no issues with Waves plugins with my i4770 system even before I installed dedicated graphics card. My point here is: if you’re short of money, ditch graphics card and use the saved $60 for upgrading other components to better ones. It’s easy to add graphics card later for the same $60, but buying for example a new silent PSU costs you much more.

Don’t doubt this at all. It’s nown fact you build great PCs. As I explained earlier, it’s just my own paranoia, which tells me not to add any unneccessary components to DAW PC.

absolutely agree better to take the $60 and upgrade the processor.
at the same time he was clear about not needing much in the way of power.
the added processor just gives him better longevity on the system
those corsair PS are pretty quiet. quiet enough for most.

Thank you for your suggestion, guys.

Here is what looks like what I’ll be pushing the button on in the next 2 or 3 days, pending any final comments from you all:

Mobo: Z87 Matx Haswell 2-PCIe16x, 1-PCIe1x up to 32 gig RAM, USB3.0, USB 2.0

Power Supply: Kingwin - Stryker 500W (600W real) fanless power supply. (NEW/REPLACEMENT)

Cooler: Zalman - Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler

Quieting/Xtra Cooling: ADK-ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua (NEW/REPLACEMENT)

Case: Zalman - Z9 Mid-tower case, 3x 5.25, 6x 3.5, 1 2.5 drive bays

OS Programs Drive: Samsung - 256 GB 840 Pro 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (NEW/REPLACEMENT)

Audio Drive: SEAGATE - 1TB Sata 600 64meg cache 2 yr warranty ST1000DM003

DVD-RW/BDR: 24X DVD-RW Dual Layer

NIC/Internet LinkSys - WUSB6300 IEEE 802.11ac - Wi-Fi Adapter USB - 867Mbps(NEW/REPLACEMENT)

Memory: ADK - 16gig 2x8gig DDR3 1600 LV CL11-11-11-28 Lifetime warranty

USB Ports: ON the back I/O port there are 4 x USB 3.0 (blue), 2 x USB 2.0, So you will have 4 USB 2.0 in the front and 2 in the back. Plus 4x USB 3.0 ports on the back.

The case size is fixed … it is what they sell.

Staying with the i5, as my projects are small, and putting the money I didn’t spend on an i7 towards the SSD/fanless PSU, etc.

Steinberg UR28M interface, UAD-2 solo card (have to figure out to transfer my UAD-1 plug-ins over …).

If anyone has any final thoughts, I’d love to hear them. And thanks everyone for your help so far!

:slight_smile:

Wireless keyboards and mice are great, as long as they have a dongle rather than use Bluetooth. Bluetooth doesn’t work for altering BIOS settings and gets especially confused if dual-booting.

Like a Seasonic X Series 460W, as long as the video cards are not ‘gas-guzzlers’.

The deed is done. As described in the 2d build, a few posts above. Thank you everybody for the helpful comments and suggestions!

Got the build from ADK. Worked with a Chris Ludwig, very patient, very helpful. He will also load Cubase 7.5.?0, the UAD-2 solo card, and optimize/tweak. Might get him to load my Jamstix 3 as well, you get 3 free loads I believe, though I might use those up with the UR28M.

Can’t wait to have a system that won’t make me bounce down just about everything just so I can keep working!

:slight_smile: