MIDI Track Pitch Bend

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

MIDI Track Pitch Bend

Postby CaliforniaNashville » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:51 am

Just a thought

I use the MIDI pitch bend controller lane quite a bit. What would be nice, and I am not sure how to explain this, but would it be possible to have two things changed on this.

1 - The List Editor under Data 1 measures the pitch bend value from "0" to "16,384" (i.e. log2(16,384)=14 ) with "0" being "full pitch down" and "16,384" being "full pitch bend up". "Zero" pitch bend would equal "8,192".

The problem is that in the controller lane itself, the "zero pitch bend" value is "0" and you either pitch bend "8,192" down or "8,192" up. In other words, the values displayed in the List Editor are different than in the controller lane itself. It's kind of annoying in terms of calculating a precise pitch value while editing.

2 - Also, would it be possible in the same Controller Lane for pitch bend that you could somehow allow the user to enter a value of how many half note steps you would like the controller lane to snap to in terms of pitch bend up and pitch bend down. What this would allow, for example, is if I am using Halion and I have the pitch bend value in Halion set to "+4" for pitch bend up and "-12" for pitch bend down, the controller lane could generate a snap grid reflecting those values and allow me to do a quick snap in terms of pitch bending.

this would really make life great for editing synchronizing the control of pitch bending VST and external instruments.

that's it! hope this helps!

:)

:ugeek:
Computer Basics: OSX 10.9 Mavericks - Apple 27 inch iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 (Mid 2011) - 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Apple Thunderbolt Display
Software Basics: Cubase 7.5.10 Build 152 (64 Bit) - HALion 5 - MR816csx
Powered By: Waffle House - White Castle - Costco $1.50 Hot Dogs - Starbucks
CaliforniaNashville

Re: MIDI Track Pitch Bend

Postby jaslan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:49 am

I really like your second idea. The way the HALion instruments have been so deeply integrated with Cubase seems like it wouldn't be hard to have the instrument report to Cubase the range of pitch change.
But, EVEN if the information doesn't come from the instrument, it would be really great if the user could at least define the graduations in the controller lane (i.e. +4 half steps and -12 half steps) and allow snapping to those values.

As far as the first idea, I almost feel like if the second idea were done properly, you wouldn't need the first feature.

J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby suntower » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 am

+1 for both.

I've ranted before that controller lanes should be more 'intelligent'... ie. Pitch should be displayed (and edited) differently from Sustain (2 or at most 3 values), etc.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Postby curteye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:27 am

Aloha guys and +1

And this thread is only talking 'keyboard' pitch bend ranges.

Try it with MIDI guitar using the 'MIDI Mono Mode' protocol
(firing on six different MIDI channel at once)
with bend ranges from +- 24.

This another reason (along with their buffering scheme)
that I can't use Logic (and some other DAWs) as effectively.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby CaliforniaNashville » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 pm

I agree - that's what is interesting about Cubase to me over the years. It is an amazing piece of software but for some reason the Controller Lanes just don't come off like they are as "user friendly" as they could be. They just come off clunky.
Computer Basics: OSX 10.9 Mavericks - Apple 27 inch iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 (Mid 2011) - 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Apple Thunderbolt Display
Software Basics: Cubase 7.5.10 Build 152 (64 Bit) - HALion 5 - MR816csx