Cubase 7.5.20

Post general topics related to Cubase 7, Cubase Artist 7 and Cubase Elements 7 here.

Re: Cubase 7.5.20

Postby patcub » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Yeah the issues that get fixed I haven't noticed them. But will it fix the plugins disappearing behind the mixer problem? This issue I have noticed a few hundred times. :twisted:

Anyway thanks for the update, can't complain about improvements.
patcub

Postby sycophant » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 am

patcub wrote:Yeah the issues that get fixed I haven't noticed them. But will it fix the plugins disappearing behind the mixer problem? This issue I have noticed a few hundred times.

That particular problem could take aeons to fix, as it would in essence require a 3rd (and hopefully final) re-write of the application before a new Metro interface is developed.
sycophant

Postby Rhino » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:08 am

patcub wrote:Yeah the issues that get fixed I haven't noticed them. But will it fix the plugins disappearing behind the mixer problem? This issue I have noticed a few hundred times. :twisted:

not wanting to downplay this special issue, should have been fixed a decade ago for sure, but are you aware your problem will be completely gone if you set things up the time honoured Cubase way :
Main window stretched (not maximised !) across all screens, plugins set AOT, however not the mixer !
Ok, no full screen mixer then, so what?
Give me reliable functionality over visual elegance, any day.
ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby msy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Rhino wrote:
patcub wrote:Yeah the issues that get fixed I haven't noticed them. But will it fix the plugins disappearing behind the mixer problem? This issue I have noticed a few hundred times. :twisted:

not wanting to downplay this special issue, should have been fixed a decade ago for sure, but are you aware your problem will be completely gone if you set things up the time honoured Cubase way :
Main window stretched (not maximised !) across all screens, plugins set AOT, however not the mixer !
ymmv,
Rhino

No, that doesn't work for those of us on two screens or more! Most pro studios have two screens or even three.
Cubase 7.5.30 (64bit) on Windows 7 (64bit) using jBridge for 32bit plugins.
HALion 5.0.1 (64bit)
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 I/O
DAW: Intel Core i7 3820 |
ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 6GB DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | 2x2TB SATA2 | Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 256MB (with drivers from the original CD)
Comp. related hardware: Access Virus TI, 2xUAD-2 Duo, Behringer BCF-/BCR2000, Akai APC40, Eventide TimeFactor, ...
msy

Postby patcub » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Rhino wrote:

ymmv,
Rhino

Thanks for the tip, but my two screens are not the same size (I didn't bought them at the same time and the last I bought is slightly bigger than the first one). I already tried to spread cubase between the two screens but it doesn't feel right. Everything was working fine in cubase 6. Oh well, we need to be patient I guess.
patcub

Postby Rhino » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:22 pm

msy wrote:No, that doesn't work for those of us on two screens or more! Most pro studios have two screens or even three.

Guess that makes me a pro studio then 8-) , 2x 1920x1200, 1x 1280x768 (as plugin magnifier) atm.
Works perfectly here, like it has for the last decade or so, for any number of screens between 2 and 4, equal res or not.
Just saying ...
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Niles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Rhino wrote:Ok, no full screen mixer then, so what?

Well, I always notice how much I'm dragging and placing windows when working in Cubase.
In my primary DAW I find it an absolute breeze to be able to maximize any window regardless on what screen it is and to keep windows open over the mixer and still be able to touch anything on that full screen mixer.

The full screen console was a selling point for Cubase 7 (and buying point for me).

On their website Steinberg wrote:The completely new MixConsole excels not only in terms of usability, look and feel, but also sounds better than anything before it! Featuring full-screen mode, total scalability and quick in-place access to the parameters most relevant to the task, MixConsole adjusts seamlessly to notebook screens and large-scale displays.

That simply isn't true for PC users. When I'm fine tuning dynamics and EQ of a particular track within a mix I constantly switch between plugin GUI's and the mixer's fader and solo/mute buttons.
So every time I change focus to check the mix or readjust, the GUI's vanish behind the mixer and I have to click several times to bring them back.

That's not my idea of: "quick in-place access to the parameters most relevant to the task".

The worst thing is, support told me it won't be fixed in 7.x.
I understand bugs happen and it will take some time to fix them, but leaving a crucial flaw like this untouched is presumptuous towards your customers.
Niles

Postby Rhino » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Totally agreed, it's a disgrace, most shareware programs have proper z-order.
But my point is:
there is a way you can work without plugin hiding, it just might not look as pretty.

The real showstoppers for me are the focus bug(s), the chaotic workpace/mixer view mess and Kermit, and there is no wokaround for either of them.
Oh well,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby greggybud » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 pm

msy wrote:
Rhino wrote:

ymmv,
Rhino

No, that doesn't work for those of us on two screens or more! Most pro studios have two screens or even three.

It does work. (Windows XP or 7) I'm on Windows 7 64 bit Cubase 64 bit.

If you need help, there are several here who would help you. I use 4 screens (I must be really pro :lol: ) and in the past have used them just like Rhino describes. Now I have switched so 2 screens are on "full mixer" mode and the Cubase "shell" is stretched over the other 2 screens. Link the mixers and the project page. Of the other 2 screens one is dedicated to the project and the other is split in half. The lower half is Mixer 3 that contains In's Out's Groups' effect channels, and master out. The upper half I keep "blank" for opening and closing VST's VSTI's and editing midi/audio. The main thing is...it works for the way I work...up to the point where IMO the glaring issues are key commands, focus, and navigation issues, most of them in the mix console....the WORKFLOW things!

I suggest anyone new to multiple screens try them out like Rhino has described in prior posts at gearslutz, and then deviate from there if needed. Remember the options of AOT! Obviously everyone works differently, but based on the many complaints about this topic over the years, I have discovered what he does is not perfect, but often the most effective.

Actually I have noticed most commercial studios including some very well known ME's using Wavelab keep things down to 1 screen.

Anyway if you need assistance, give is your specific issue. I have been using multiple screens with Cubase for at least the past 14 years and unless you have some specific problem this is not rocket science.
Windows 7x64, Wavelab 8.5, Cubase 8.0x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby Rhino » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 pm

greggybud wrote:The main thing is...it works for the way I work...up to the point where IMO the glaring issues are key commands, focus, and navigation issues, most of them in the mix console....the WORKFLOW things!

Extremely good point, there are issues you can work around with a bit of flexibility and "thinking out of the box", much worse are those workflow issues that would force you to go back to clickety click stone age using the mouse exclusively, or the complete loss of saving/recalling/transferring a comprehensive window state, crucial for us 3-screen-pros and the 4-screen-elite alike. :lol:
And of course, please ask in case of questions, somebody might know a solution.

Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby quantum7 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:58 pm

9/4/2014 Europe
4/9/2014 USA

Ha ha Europe, we get it first! LOL :lol:
"it is better to compose, than decompose"

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com
www.SeanChristopher.net
quantum7

Postby Mahlon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:28 pm

greggybud wrote:The main thing is...it works for the way I work...up to the point where IMO the glaring issues are key commands, focus, and navigation issues, most of them in the mix console....the WORKFLOW things!

Same here. It's a workflow issue most of the time for me and Cubase. One of the worst offenders is in the Mix Console while your mouse pointer floats over the inserts and sends. The pop-up keeps flashing telling me that the slot is empty. Well, I know it's empty because there's nothing in it; it's blank!!!

Stuff like that. Just overdoing it where a simple blank slot would be totally sufficient instead of all this flashing and shouting that the slot is empty. But that's kind of indicative of the current culture, eh? It's a very loud and in your face world where excess is the norm. Ah, look there, I went on a little one sentence rant. :twisted:

That said, still love Cubase. Powerful program guided by intelligent developers. Thank you!

Mahlon
Mahlon

Postby Jalcide » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:50 am

I bet we see a farewell to the legacy MDI window system and a complete revamp in v8.0. Just a hunch.

My guess is that it will continue to become more of a scalable UI, like the console is becoming, have full touch support and lots of flexible, dockable areas. Floating windows and z-order will still be present, but a focus on a more modern, z-order-less workflow will be the focus.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase Pro 8.0.0 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
Jalcide

Postby beerbong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:49 am

Jalcide wrote:I bet we see a farewell to the legacy MDI window system and a complete revamp in v8.0. Just a hunch.

My guess is that it will continue to become more of a scalable UI, like the console is becoming, have full touch support and lots of flexible, dockable areas. Floating windows and z-order will still be present, but a focus on a more modern, z-order-less workflow will be the focus.

I look very forward to this !!! I really wish for more tight midi especially using VSTi to route midi signals and be tight for very fast beats

5.5.20 so good news.. thanks for listening to us SB!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ps I bet most of the fixes are related to Windows, but other wise 7.5 is so stable I cannot come here and compain too much cus busy mixing music><
BB
beerbong

Postby Jalcide » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 am

beerbong wrote:
Jalcide wrote:I bet we see a farewell to the legacy MDI window system and a complete revamp in v8.0. Just a hunch.

I look very forward to this !!! I really wish for more tight midi especially using VSTi to route midi signals and be tight for very fast beats

5.5.20 so good news.. thanks for listening to us SB!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ps I bet most of the fixes are related to Windows, but other wise 7.5 is so stable I cannot come here and compain too much cus busy mixing music><

Timing-wise, for audio, Cubase should be sample accurate at whatever sample rate it's running at and would null-test, no?

For MIDI, internally, it's something outrageously high like 1920 PPQN, since like the late 90's at least, I think. Automation, as well.

I think the only "timing" thing (not really a timing thing), and that plagues all modern DAWs, is the whole VSTs rendering slightly different each time, which is why a lot of producers bounce to audio (and why Cubase's missing "Bounce In Place" feature continues to be high on the wish list). This is an issue inherent with most plugins, themselves.

Describe more of your timing problems, I bet it's a non-cubase issue (DPC latency checker issue, perhaps). I bet it's VST multi-rendering (or freezing) phase issues.

Try printing those tracks to audio and I bet the issue goes away. Or, try triggering raw samples via MIDI without any effects, I bet it nulls consistently.

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase Pro 8.0.0 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
Jalcide

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Jalcide wrote:
I think the only "timing" thing (not really a timing thing), and that plagues all modern DAWs, is the whole VSTs rendering slightly different each time, which is why a lot of producers bounce to audio (and why Cubase's missing "Bounce In Place" feature continues to be high on the wish list). This is an issue inherent with most plugins, themselves.

in any test i've ran, vst plugins always render 1:1*, and pass the null test. unless of course there is some random element explicitly introduced in the code of the given plugin, so as to approximate some typical behaviour of a hardware box it's trying to imitate, and so on.

*this however only applies when running the test using the same buffer-size of your audio interface. things will often sound different on higher buffer sizes, and rapid automation changes especially will impact the resulting signal, as the automation becomes 'slower' with higher buffer-sizes.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby msy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Rhino wrote:
msy wrote:No, that doesn't work for those of us on two screens or more! Most pro studios have two screens or even three.

Guess that makes me a pro studio then 8-) , 2x 1920x1200, 1x 1280x768 (as plugin magnifier) atm.
Works perfectly here, like it has for the last decade or so, for any number of screens between 2 and 4, equal res or not.
Just saying ...
Rhino

I'm not sure a person can be a "pro studio". Don't think a thousand screens will help. Just saying ... :lol:

Seriously though. You say here that you CAN touch the MixConsole (ie make volume change) and still have VST's always on top? (not disappearing behind the mixer). Please explain more! I'm sure that the forum users are interested in your fix, because no one else got this working - not even Steinberg! :ugeek:
HALion 5.0.1 (64bit)
ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 6GB DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | 2x2TB SATA2 | Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 256MB (with drivers from the original CD)
Comp. related hardware: Access Virus TI, 2xUAD-2 Duo, Behringer BCF-/BCR2000, Akai APC40, Eventide TimeFactor, ...
msy

Postby sycophant » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Jalcide wrote:
beerbong wrote:

I bet most of the fixes are related to Windows, but other wise 7.5 is so stable I cannot come here and compain too much cus busy mixing music><

Describe more of your timing problems, I bet it's a non-cubase issue (DPC latency checker issue, perhaps). I bet it's VST multi-rendering (or freezing) phase issues.

DPC Latency checker supposedly doesn't work on Windows 8 but I got 1000us, so is that a good score?

7.07 is very stable for me, I just don't appreciate how solo and key edit correspond.

VST rendering is only good for real-time audio, a "bounce in place" feature would really only help with production.
sycophant

Postby Grim » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:59 am

You say here that you CAN touch the MixConsole (ie make volume change) and still have VST's always on top? (not disappearing behind the mixer). Please explain more!

It's been explained twice in this thread already in answer to you....what bit of it don't you understand??
i7 930@2.8, 12Gb, W7HP x64, Cubase 8.0 Pro & 7.5.30 x64, Audient iD22, Alphatrack, Wavelab Elements 7.2.1.
Grim

Postby msy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 am

greggybud wrote:The upper half I keep "blank" for opening and closing VST's VSTI's and editing midi/audio.

Wow, some people just LOVE to misunderstand. ;)
I'm sorry but you can't have VST plugins always on top of the MixConsole in Cubase 7.5. You are talking about leaving parts of the screen blank. That is not a solution, sure it's sort of a workaround if you keep the MixConsole GUI really tiny and minimize all insert chains etc. I guess Rhino is talking about the same thing here.

The thing is that the new MixConsole is LARGE and it needs to take the most part of one the screens. It doesn't matter if we set it to full screen mode or not - VST plugins WILL disappear behind the mixer when you touch the mixer!

One other thing: Cubase doesn't have a key command for "set focus", so alot of Key Commands doesn't work when you have your VST plugin in focus and then want to change something in the MixConsole with a key command. Sure, I can get a third screen, but I'm not an elite professional with a large studio so I don't have the space. :lol:

I have also been using Cubase for 14 years (started with Cubase VST32). But we are talking about Cubase 7.5 here, right? Maybe you haven't notied that the MixConsole is a bit larger than the old mixer so leaving empty screen space is not an option for us that only have standard 24" screens and still wants the MixConsole to show its potentional.
HALion 5.0.1 (64bit)
msy

Postby Majic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Sample accurate automation.

Batch Export update - busses are null and void when using batch export.
Majic

Postby musicbeat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:35 pm

@JalcidePro
I really like your stuff, man........!
i7 3.4 ghz 16go L2|W8.1 x64
RME BabyFace|AxiomPro49|Focal Pro - CMS 40
Cubase 7.5.3|Pro Tools 10|Spectrasonics Bundle|Komplete 9 Ultimate
musicbeat

Postby Rhino » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm

msy wrote:Wow, some people just LOVE to misunderstand. ;)
I'm sorry but you can't have VST plugins always on top of the MixConsole in Cubase 7.5.

And some people just misunderstand. :lol:
Yes, we can.
The explanation is on this very page, read and try it out hands-on. :o

It's been working that way forever, and it still works the same in 7.07, 7.5 is no exception obviously, or we would have heard the outrage by now.
And greggybud's "plugin space" (I do the same with screen 3) is not what we're referring to, it's a matter of convenience, we prefer plugin UIs not to open above the mixer, that's all.
We're owners of pro-/elite studios after all. 8-) :P

Unfortunately you're correct about the messed up focus :twisted: , one of the main C7 showstopper bugs we all are fighting against, up to 6.5 keycommands and GR controllers worked regardless of focus, this absolutely needs to be restored asap, a bug this fat never should have seen the light of day in the first place.

ymmnv in this case, sorry, :mrgreen:
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Jalcide » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:15 pm

musicbeat wrote:@JalcidePro
I really like your stuff, man........!

Thanks!

New / finished stuff in the works. A day job and a new DAW-only PC build keep getting in the way of actual music. :D Well, that and the Waves v9r14 bug that decided it didn't want to play nice with Cubase (that v9r15 fixed).

I swear, if 7.5.20 is stable for my configuration -- that's it. No more upgrading ANYTHING until new music is completed. Only a computer dedicated to being a DAW can realistically do this, for me anyway.

sycophant wrote:DPC Latency checker supposedly doesn't work on Windows 8 but I got 1000us, so is that a good score?

I think you want it under 1000; preferably under 500. It's been a while since I did the test, but I think mine was well below that bottom chart line (500). *shrug*

Jalcide

Postby Xtigma » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Majic wrote:Sample accurate automation.

Batch Export update - busses are null and void when using batch export.

Sample accurate automation.. for me, this is probably my #1 request... i'd give anything for sample accurate automation!... do any sequencers have it though?
Intel i7 64bit 16gb ram - Windows 8.1 - Rme Fireface UCX - Uad Octo - Uad quad
Xtigma

PreviousNext

Return to General