Cubase 7.5.20

It does work. (Windows XP or 7) I’m on Windows 7 64 bit Cubase 64 bit.

If you need help, there are several here who would help you. I use 4 screens (I must be really pro :laughing: ) and in the past have used them just like Rhino describes. Now I have switched so 2 screens are on “full mixer” mode and the Cubase “shell” is stretched over the other 2 screens. Link the mixers and the project page. Of the other 2 screens one is dedicated to the project and the other is split in half. The lower half is Mixer 3 that contains In’s Out’s Groups’ effect channels, and master out. The upper half I keep “blank” for opening and closing VST’s VSTI’s and editing midi/audio. The main thing is…it works for the way I work…up to the point where IMO the glaring issues are key commands, focus, and navigation issues, most of them in the mix console…the WORKFLOW things!

I suggest anyone new to multiple screens try them out like Rhino has described in prior posts at gearslutz, and then deviate from there if needed. Remember the options of AOT! Obviously everyone works differently, but based on the many complaints about this topic over the years, I have discovered what he does is not perfect, but often the most effective.

Actually I have noticed most commercial studios including some very well known ME’s using Wavelab keep things down to 1 screen.

Anyway if you need assistance, give is your specific issue. I have been using multiple screens with Cubase for at least the past 14 years and unless you have some specific problem this is not rocket science.

9/4/2014 Europe
4/9/2014 USA

Ha ha Europe, we get it first! LOL :laughing:

Same here. It’s a workflow issue most of the time for me and Cubase. One of the worst offenders is in the Mix Console while your mouse pointer floats over the inserts and sends. The pop-up keeps flashing telling me that the slot is empty. Well, I know it’s empty because there’s nothing in it; it’s blank!!!

Stuff like that. Just overdoing it where a simple blank slot would be totally sufficient instead of all this flashing and shouting that the slot is empty. But that’s kind of indicative of the current culture, eh? It’s a very loud and in your face world where excess is the norm. Ah, look there, I went on a little one sentence rant. :smiling_imp:

That said, still love Cubase. Powerful program guided by intelligent developers. Thank you!

Mahlon

I bet we see a farewell to the legacy MDI window system and a complete revamp in v8.0. Just a hunch.

My guess is that it will continue to become more of a scalable UI, like the console is becoming, have full touch support and lots of flexible, dockable areas. Floating windows and z-order will still be present, but a focus on a more modern, z-order-less workflow will be the focus.

I look very forward to this !!! I really wish for more tight midi especially using VSTi to route midi signals and be tight for very fast beats

5.5.20 so good news… thanks for listening to us SB!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ps I bet most of the fixes are related to Windows, but other wise 7.5 is so stable I cannot come here and compain too much cus busy mixing music><

Timing-wise, for audio, Cubase should be sample accurate at whatever sample rate it’s running at and would null-test, no?

For MIDI, internally, it’s something outrageously high like 1920 PPQN, since like the late 90’s at least, I think. Automation, as well.

I think the only “timing” thing (not really a timing thing), and that plagues all modern DAWs, is the whole VSTs rendering slightly different each time, which is why a lot of producers bounce to audio (and why Cubase’s missing “Bounce In Place” feature continues to be high on the wish list). This is an issue inherent with most plugins, themselves.

Describe more of your timing problems, I bet it’s a non-cubase issue (DPC latency checker issue, perhaps). I bet it’s VST multi-rendering (or freezing) phase issues.

Try printing those tracks to audio and I bet the issue goes away. Or, try triggering raw samples via MIDI without any effects, I bet it nulls consistently.

in any test i’ve ran, vst plugins always render 1:1*, and pass the null test. unless of course there is some random element explicitly introduced in the code of the given plugin, so as to approximate some typical behaviour of a hardware box it’s trying to imitate, and so on.

*this however only applies when running the test using the same buffer-size of your audio interface. things will often sound different on higher buffer sizes, and rapid automation changes especially will impact the resulting signal, as the automation becomes ‘slower’ with higher buffer-sizes.

I’m not sure a person can be a “pro studio”. Don’t think a thousand screens will help. Just saying … :laughing:

Seriously though. You say here that you CAN touch the MixConsole (ie make volume change) and still have VST’s always on top? (not disappearing behind the mixer). Please explain more! I’m sure that the forum users are interested in your fix, because no one else got this working - not even Steinberg! :ugeek:

DPC Latency checker supposedly doesn’t work on Windows 8 but I got 1000us, so is that a good score?

7.07 is very stable for me, I just don’t appreciate how solo and key edit correspond.

VST rendering is only good for real-time audio, a “bounce in place” feature would really only help with production.

You say here that you CAN touch the MixConsole (ie make volume change) and still have VST’s always on top? (not disappearing behind the mixer). Please explain more!

It’s been explained twice in this thread already in answer to you…what bit of it don’t you understand??

Wow, some people just LOVE to misunderstand. :wink:
I’m sorry but you can’t have VST plugins always on top of the MixConsole in Cubase 7.5. You are talking about leaving parts of the screen blank. That is not a solution, sure it’s sort of a workaround if you keep the MixConsole GUI really tiny and minimize all insert chains etc. I guess Rhino is talking about the same thing here.

The thing is that the new MixConsole is LARGE and it needs to take the most part of one the screens. It doesn’t matter if we set it to full screen mode or not - VST plugins WILL disappear behind the mixer when you touch the mixer!

One other thing: Cubase doesn’t have a key command for “set focus”, so alot of Key Commands doesn’t work when you have your VST plugin in focus and then want to change something in the MixConsole with a key command. Sure, I can get a third screen, but I’m not an elite professional with a large studio so I don’t have the space. :laughing:

I have also been using Cubase for 14 years (started with Cubase VST32). But we are talking about Cubase 7.5 here, right? Maybe you haven’t notied that the MixConsole is a bit larger than the old mixer so leaving empty screen space is not an option for us that only have standard 24" screens and still wants the MixConsole to show its potentional.

Sample accurate automation.

Batch Export update - busses are null and void when using batch export.

@JalcidePro
I really like your stuff, man…!

Thanks!

New / finished stuff in the works. A day job and a new DAW-only PC build keep getting in the way of actual music. :smiley: Well, that and the Waves v9r14 bug that decided it didn’t want to play nice with Cubase (that v9r15 fixed).

I swear, if 7.5.20 is stable for my configuration – that’s it. No more upgrading ANYTHING until new music is completed. Only a computer dedicated to being a DAW can realistically do this, for me anyway.

I think you want it under 1000; preferably under 500. It’s been a while since I did the test, but I think mine was well below that bottom chart line (500). shrug

Sample accurate automation… for me, this is probably my #1 request… i’d give anything for sample accurate automation!.. do any sequencers have it though?

1000uS is probably ok for what I am doing (MIDI playback of VST and rendering of virtual instruments) but for recording I’d probably need faster hardware.

AMD A10-5800K.