Real-time peak & Average load too high with 3 VSTi

Everything else...

Real-time peak & Average load too high with 3 VSTi

Postby socrates190 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:22 am

Hello Folks,

my problem is that i have too high real-time peak & average load when i am playin with only 3 vst instruments (one is Halion Sonic , but i loaded only one Instrument) .
First i thought it was the "play version" from my Eastwest CCC , so i uninstalled it (waiting until someone has i fix for it).
Also i have minor clicks and dropouts (in playback) after the uninstall of CCC.

My software: Cubase Artist 7.5.10 / Absolute VSTi Coll. / OS Win 7 64bit Prof.
My Gear : Tascam DM3200 with Firewireboard / CPU i7 3770k /16GB RAM / two ATI HD 5450
its a fresh Win7 setup and the PC is not attached to any network. No cracksoftware ... every plug in is Authentic ( like T-RACKS).
Greetings from Athens Socrates

test realtime.jpg
Hardware : TASCAM DM3200 , CMC CH/TP/QC Presonus Firestation, SSL Duende, AKAI z8, Yamaha A5000, Access Virus B, Novation x-Station 25, M-Audio MidiSport 4x4, 1 x UAD 1 , 3 x TC Powercore, ADAM A7, Fostex PM 0.4
PC : i7 3770k , Corsair H100i, 16Gb RAM, 2x ATI FirePro V4800
Software: Cubase 7.5 , EastWest CCC, Steinberg Absolute, T-Racks4, HalionPlayer, Arturia Dubstep, Halion 5
socrates190

Re: Real-time peak & Average load too high with 3 VSTi

Postby kylesoundman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:14 am

I am having the same problem on my Macbook Pro Quadcore with 8 gigs of RAM. I can get it to overload the vst performance meter by just playing chords on a midi keyboard controller with only Dark Planet for playback. This needs to be fixed soon, like tomorrow!! :x
kylesoundman

Postby jaslan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:33 am

kylesoundman wrote:I am having the same problem on my Macbook Pro Quadcore with 8 gigs of RAM. I can get it to overload the vst performance meter by just playing chords on a midi keyboard controller with only Dark Planet for playback. This needs to be fixed soon, like tomorrow!! :x

Raise the buffer setting?.........
:?
If it needs to be fixed by tomorrow, there are many here who would help you solve the problem but you may get more help without the angry demands. Certainly, it is a problem with your setup and you are the only one who can fix it...
Is your WiFi off? What audio interface are you using?
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby socrates190 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Well... my buffersize is 512 at 44.1 with 32 ins and 32 outs at my Firewire board from the Tascam Mixer (Console)
(i have a pic attached , is it visible ? should i attach it again or with other specs?)
Everygear has the latest driver update.

Has anyone any suggestion? i cant write more than five tracks without having a high average load and peak.
I mean i have spend a lot of money invested in my gear , that i be able to work with large projects.
I maybe not demanding someone to give me a solution right now, but seriously i am frustrated and i can understand in someway kylesoundman.
Hardware : TASCAM DM3200 , CMC CH/TP/QC Presonus Firestation, SSL Duende, AKAI z8, Yamaha A5000, Access Virus B, Novation x-Station 25, M-Audio MidiSport 4x4, 1 x UAD 1 , 3 x TC Powercore, ADAM A7, Fostex PM 0.4
Software: Cubase 7.5 , EastWest CCC, Steinberg Absolute, T-Racks4, HalionPlayer, Arturia Dubstep, Halion 5
socrates190

Postby jaslan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 am

VST instruments really do use a lot of processing power. HALion 5 (and HALion Sonic 2, HSSE2), NI Razor are high CPU users especially when using synthesis. Sample players seem to do better because they just have to play the sound. Try freezing those instruments and see what happens. I have found that while I can have many audio tracks (or frozen VSTi tracks) I can only have a few VSTi tracks, depending on the type, before my performance starts to peak.
HTH
J.L.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby roel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 am

are you using the 3 vti's fully loaded with 16 midi channels and outputs ?
if yes: try to split them up into multiple vsti's
i say this because if i look at your jpg i notice that your system uses only half of the cores

this is related to the way the system handles your vsti's. if a single core has to deal with all 16 channels, it is normal that this core gets a high strain. by splitting that multichannel vsti into several vsti's you give more room to cubase to decide how to spread the strain over the different cores. But this is very vsti dependend also. Also, i'm not saying cubase will keep the strain to that single core in this scenario and actually cubase will spread the strain over multiple cores when needed, but maybe the program is indeed doing this a little late in comparison with some of the competition. (and thus suggesting you are running out of juice while it isn't if you compare to actual cpu load, but actually maximizes core usage before switching to another core)

the real time asio meter displays the highest processor load on the most strained core, indicating how much room there is left for the audiodriver before trouble starts. when you split them up, you will actually see the real time asio go down (but you will use a littlebit more memory due to the loading of the different dll's)

if you want real access to the core handling, the best way for many is for the moment a program where you can assign your own cores per instance.

kind regards,
R.
Cubase 7.5.x, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, W170, i7 2760Qm, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, +touch screen
Slave: desktop: Titanus, Q8440, 8 gig, 2x WD HDD + SSD
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb)
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, and a lot of others
roel

Postby roel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 am

also: if hyperthreading is off. put it back on. it doubles the amount of available core.
since you have an i7 3770k you should have 8 cores.
the issue with hyperthreading was only there for first generations i7's.
the goodies for your processor for cubase (imho and then we talk about spikes (which is a different thing) is to disable turbo (if you can) and c-states. (which are core parking)
but spikes itself are mostly related to gui-handling, and that is a completely different topic related to the graphics processing that get higher then with older drivers priorities

kind regards,
R.
Master:laptop Clevo, W170, i7 2760Qm, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, +touch screen
roel

Postby socrates190 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:54 am

roel wrote:are you using the 3 vti's fully loaded with 16 midi channels and outputs ?
if yes: try to split them up into multiple vsti's
i say this because if i look at your jpg i notice that your system uses only half of the cores

R.

no , thats why i dont understand the high loading... i use only 1 instrument routed to one Stereo out per vsti.

roel wrote:also: if hyperthreading is off. put it back on. it doubles the amount of available core.
since you have an i7 3770k you should have 8 cores.

R.

turning it on right away ;) . i read an article where it says, it had to be turned off.
socrates190

Postby socrates190 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 am

roel wrote:but spikes itself are mostly related to gui-handling, and that is a completely different topic related to the graphics processing that get higher then with older drivers priorities

R.

;) oh yes, i know from the other topic with "Play 4" !!! i'll also try another GPU , to see if it is changing something. I found a ATI (again, but cost me nothing) FirePro V4800 and see if it helps. Then i will try a NVIDIA chipset :D

also what programm handles the cores?
socrates190

Postby roel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:31 am

i shouldn't worry too much in your case. CPU load on the jpg you gave is just 36%, so there is plenty of room. the high readings are just a correct feedback you get that one of the cores is working hard in your case. There were cores that were allmost idle on your jpg.

Also, a said above by jaslan, there are some real heavy dudes on the market today if it's about processor load. For example UH-E's are notorious about this. Some reaktor ensembles are pretty heavy, and so on...and so on...

They are all fantastic synths, but they consume a lot.

The program i use for balancing heavy setups is vienna ensemble pro 5. If you look around on the forum, you will note that most of the guys who have very big systems (not me :-) ) are using this. I can confirm that the difference is ... huge. (even when you use it on a single system) Handling vsti's in that host is for the moment probably one of the best choices to do this, but you can suspect that SB and others are very aware of this and are trying to catch up.
But not only the program uses less resources per vsti (strange fact but very notable) but your balancing between the cores will be as flat as the mediterenian sea. But the program comes with a price so try the demo first to see if the extra workflow and knowledge about routing you will have to take into account, are good for you.

And offcourse you can participate on marsmans poll and vote for changes under the hood. :-)
Yesterday we were just just a few votes behind.

kind regards,
R.
roel

Postby Codsworth » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Similar problems also here unfortunately. Only in some projects, but getting big cpu spikes which just cut out the signal & hit the meter into the red! It seems to stop doing it so much if I turn off Halion 5 :shock:
Cubase 7.5
UAD1 x2
Echo Layla 3G
Casio PX350M
Roland SH01 Gaia
Akai MPD26
Novation Nocturn

Dynaudio BM6A
KRK 10s

Windows 7 Ultimate
Asus P6T SE
Intel Core i7 920
18GB DDR3 1600 Mhz Corsair Dominator

Loads of other bits!
Codsworth

Postby socrates190 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:45 pm

On Facebook they stated that there will be an update in mid April.... lets see if this will fix some issues
here s the link

https://www.facebook.com/Steinberg
socrates190

Postby Codsworth » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:01 pm

socrates190 wrote:On Facebook they stated that there will be an update in mid April.... lets see if this will fix some issues
here s the link

https://www.facebook.com/Steinberg

Thanks
Codsworth

Postby beerbong » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:59 am

Try changing the Processor Scheduling. Try both ways and see what works better. I find that Background Tasks works well for me. There should be a noticable change, worth it to try for Windows.
BB
beerbong

Postby socrates190 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46 am

Weeeelll .... i did some changes....!!!! Thanks to you all and to the Tascam-Forum. everything is almost ok..

:)

1st changed the GraphicCard . From two HD 5450 ---> one ATI FirePro V4800 (now i have to buy one)
2nd did some changes like allocation of the CPU recources... for me it works better with programs
3rd changed my Firewirecard from TI-Chip ---> VIA Chip
4th replaced the mousepointers and the hand
5th stopped some services like AMD external Events Util. / WinDefender
6th Hyperthreating ON and ASIO Guard also

and everything is back to normal, how it should be.

Now, i will post that also in the other topic "Play 4 issue"...

but i wanted also to state it here : one of my major problems with the play 4 version was that the realtime peak meter was in red almost all the time. the result was that i had major drops clicks and the mixer and all the graphics didnt show up right. Now with the changes i made , everything works fine... just sometimes and of course roel was right, when i move (hoover) over some elements (not all, not all the time and not the same element every time (weird?)) i get some peaks. But ok, i didnt move the mouse when i want to record something. :) and i wait until mid April for Steinberg to fix it with the upgrade.

THANX TO ALL YA

Socrates
socrates190

Postby byzantinos » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:27 pm

socrates190, θα ηθελα τη βοηθεια σου..να μιλησουμε λιγο με pm?
socrates190 i nead your help. can i talk with you with pers.messege?
thanx
WINDOWS PRO 8.1 X64 Bit
SOUND CARD: EMU 1616M PCI,
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3,
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ Eight Core AM3+,
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB DDR3_1866Mhz
GRAFIC CARD: GeForce GTX 650
DAW: CUBASE 7.5.30
byzantinos

Return to Miscellaneous