Cubase 7.5.20

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Cubase 7.5.20

Postby sycophant » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Jalcide wrote:
sycophant wrote:DPC Latency checker supposedly doesn't work on Windows 8 but I got 1000us, so is that a good score?

I think you want it under 1000; preferably under 500. It's been a while since I did the test, but I think mine was well below that bottom chart line (500). *shrug*

1000uS is probably ok for what I am doing (MIDI playback of VST and rendering of virtual instruments) but for recording I'd probably need faster hardware.

AMD A10-5800K.
sycophant

Postby Rhino » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm

sycophant wrote:
Jalcide wrote:
sycophant wrote:DPC Latency checker supposedly doesn't work on Windows 8 but I got 1000us, so is that a good score?

I think you want it under 1000; preferably under 500. It's been a while since I did the test, but I think mine was well below that bottom chart line (500). *shrug*

1000uS is probably ok for what I am doing (MIDI playback of VST and rendering of virtual instruments) but for recording I'd probably need faster hardware.

AMD A10-5800K.

It will reduce your low latency performance quite a bit, exports should be ok.
If you can live with higher latency you're probably fine.
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby sycophant » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Rhino wrote:If you can live with higher latency you're probably fine.
Rhino

No problem here.

By the time I get going with my productions (adding vocals etc) bounce in place will be a reality one would expect since it might be a great money spinner for SB and thus provide a fully transparent work flow.

In the mean time, I'd really enjoy a revamped batch export that allows independent naming of stems and an FTP upload to boot.
sycophant

Postby greggybud » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

msy wrote:
greggybud wrote:The upper half I keep "blank" for opening and closing VST's VSTI's and editing midi/audio.

Wow, some people just LOVE to misunderstand. ;)
I'm sorry but you can't have VST plugins always on top of the MixConsole in Cubase 7.5. You are talking about leaving parts of the screen blank. That is not a solution, sure it's sort of a workaround if you keep the MixConsole GUI really tiny and minimize all insert chains etc. I guess Rhino is talking about the same thing here.

The thing is that the new MixConsole is LARGE and it needs to take the most part of one the screens. It doesn't matter if we set it to full screen mode or not - VST plugins WILL disappear behind the mixer when you touch the mixer!

One other thing: Cubase doesn't have a key command for "set focus", so alot of Key Commands doesn't work when you have your VST plugin in focus and then want to change something in the MixConsole with a key command. Sure, I can get a third screen, but I'm not an elite professional with a large studio so I don't have the space. :lol:

I have also been using Cubase for 14 years (started with Cubase VST32). But we are talking about Cubase 7.5 here, right? Maybe you haven't notied that the MixConsole is a bit larger than the old mixer so leaving empty screen space is not an option for us that only have standard 24" screens and still wants the MixConsole to show its potentional.

The "upper half blank" means just empty space INSIDE the cubase "shell."

Based on what you just wrote you are not understanding at all. There is no minimizing involved.

There are lots of people working the way we do with multiple screens. For you to say "it doesn't work" means you either have a unique issue with your application or, most likely you don't understand the general set-up Rhino or myself has attempted to explain. First, are you sure your mix console is NOT set to AOT when its NOT in full screen mode?

Remember to select your VST's to AOT.

You can't have VST plugs stay always on top (AOT) ..ONLY..if you are using the mix console in full screen or the mix console is set to AOT. Get out of full screen mode and read Rhinos explanation again. The bug people here and Gearslutz have been addressing is with mix console full screen, then indeed it will hide the VST as soon as you focus the mix console...but only in full screen mode, or with the AOT selected.

Once your mix console is out of full screen mode, make sure the mix console is NOT set to AOT. In windows you can tell the difference because the "shell" looks more square with AOT, and more rounded with AOT unselected.

Once your mix console is not set to AOT you can keep VST's on top of the mix console. Click on the mix console, and the VST's will stay on top in plain view. You can obviously stretch the mix console almost as large as you did with it in full screen mode except now it will have a "shell" around it.

As Rhino and many others have mentioned there are numerous issues with navigation/focus/key commands when dealing with the mix console.

Remember if you have things set up the way he explained, you can always use ctr+tab to cycle through all those things like multiple mix consoles, VST's , project page, etc. ctr+tab will NOT work when mix console is in full screen mode. Also remember there is a key command to instantly focus the project page.

I too used VST32 which IMO was better than the following Cubase SX series simply because the Cubase-Wavelab integration was lost with Cubase SX due to introducing multiple undo's.

I'm on Cubase7.5 with the endless pursuit of making workflow as good as it was in 6.5, but failing miserably because of multiple issues mentioned repeatedly over multiple months in this forum and at Gearslutz.

Any further elaboration about the above sentence and there is a risk of a moderator deleting threads, posts, ban's blah blah blah. Anyway, review Rhinos post about stretching the Cubase "shell" over all of your screens. It will work, unless you have a specific problem or we are not making ourselves clear.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby msy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 am

greggybud wrote:The "upper half blank" means just empty space INSIDE the cubase "shell."

Based on what you just wrote you are not understanding at all. There is no minimizing involved.

There are lots of people working the way we do with multiple screens. For you to say "it doesn't work" means you either have a unique issue with your application or, most likely you don't understand the general set-up Rhino or myself has attempted to explain. First, are you sure your mix console is NOT set to AOT when its NOT in full screen mode?

Remember to select your VST's to AOT.

You can't have VST plugs stay always on top (AOT) ..ONLY..if you are using the mix console in full screen or the mix console is set to AOT. Get out of full screen mode and read Rhinos explanation again. The bug people here and Gearslutz have been addressing is with mix console full screen, then indeed it will hide the VST as soon as you focus the mix console...but only in full screen mode, or with the AOT selected.

Once your mix console is out of full screen mode, make sure the mix console is NOT set to AOT. In windows you can tell the difference because the "shell" looks more square with AOT, and more rounded with AOT unselected.

Once your mix console is not set to AOT you can keep VST's on top of the mix console. Click on the mix console, and the VST's will stay on top in plain view. You can obviously stretch the mix console almost as large as you did with it in full screen mode except now it will have a "shell" around it.

As Rhino and many others have mentioned there are numerous issues with navigation/focus/key commands when dealing with the mix console.

Remember if you have things set up the way he explained, you can always use ctr+tab to cycle through all those things like multiple mix consoles, VST's , project page, etc. ctr+tab will NOT work when mix console is in full screen mode. Also remember there is a key command to instantly focus the project page.

Ok, sorry guys, now I understand what you guys mean. :oops:
Unfortunately I have different resolutions/sizes on my screens, so that's why I haven't been able to try it that way. Thanks for the explanation.
Cubase 7.5.20 (64bit) on Windows 7 (64bit) using jBridge for 32bit plugins.
HALion 5.0.1 (64bit)
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 I/O
DAW: Intel Core i7 3820 |
ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 6GB DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | 2x2TB SATA2 | Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 256MB (with drivers from the original CD)
Comp. related hardware: Access Virus TI, 2xUAD-2 Duo, Behringer BCF-/BCR2000, Akai APC40, Eventide TimeFactor, ...
msy

Postby Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:23 pm

msy wrote:Unfortunately I have different resolutions/sizes on my screens, so that's why I haven't been able to try it that way.

Even that works. Use the bigger screen as #1, drag open the Cubase window over both screens starting from #1.
This will leave you with a bit of "uncharted territory" at the bottom of #2 if you have aligned them at the top.
Now set up your child windows so that they don't use that area, save as workspace, done. 8-)
Not perfectly elegant, but I've been doing this once for over a year, before I caved in and bought another screen matching the bigger one. Nowadays I only upgrade the main screens as a pair.
cheers,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby alexis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Rhino wrote:
msy wrote:Unfortunately I have different resolutions/sizes on my screens, so that's why I haven't been able to try it that way.

Even that works. Use the bigger screen as #1, drag open the Cubase window over both screens starting from #1.
This will leave you with a bit of "uncharted territory" at the bottom of #2 if you have aligned them at the top.
Now set up your child windows so that they don't use that area, save as workspace, done. 8-)
Not perfectly elegant, but I've been doing this once for over a year, before I caved in and bought another screen matching the bigger one. Nowadays I only upgrade the main screens as a pair.
cheers,
Rhino

Hi Rhino!

Would you happen to have any advice for a single screen user ... would it be to drag the Cubase window big, then drag the mixer window big, neither one being "maximized" using the Windows button?

Does C7 have the ability to store "Workspaces" I think they were called in C6.5 so that I don't have to do all this dragging every time I open a new project?

Thanks!
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Correct, that's how to do it.
And yes, even just using one workspace resets your windows to the positions you defined.
Tip: in case the windows tend to wander a bit, make sure to leave at least one pixel of free space around each one, that'll teach them to behave ! :twisted:
Up to 6.5 you could also save all visual aspects of the mixer with a workspace, in 7.x this is all messed up.
If you make a workspace global, it will be available in any new projects and can be loaded in older/not your own projects, in 7.x most of the visual settings of the mixer have to be redone manually however for every single project version you load, no way of making them global, defining a system default or even only transferring them between projects.
How cool is that ? 8-)
oh well,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby Steve Helstrip » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm

All of you Windows users that can't live with the 'plug-in hiding behind mixer' problem, switch to Mac! No such problem here :P

I always knew Macs were better!
Mac Pro i7, 12Gb, OSX10.9 MacBook Pro i7, 4Gb, OSX10.9
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

http://www.thethrillseekers.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/stevehelstrip
http://www.facebook.com/thrillseekersofficial
Steve Helstrip

Postby SteveInChicago » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Steve Helstrip wrote:I always knew Macs were better!
I'll get some popcorn, and a seat to watch from a safe distance. :lol:
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby ♫♪♫♪ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:23 pm

♫♪♫♪

Postby iBM » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:35 pm

♫♪♫♪ wrote:Image

Sincerely yours. Mr Apple MacJerkoff :ugeek:
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
C7.5/N6 is installed on several test systems only.
Dynaudio BM15A | Universal Audio 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 |
TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++
iBM

Postby Steve Helstrip » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:04 pm

LOL. I asked for that!
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Steve Helstrip

Postby Jalcide » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 am

♫♪♫♪ wrote:

With VEP offloading much of the workload, one would think a crash would be rare.

Is VEP working well, otherwise? I'm thinking of taking the plunge.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase 7.5.10 64-bit, Win 8.1 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
Jalcide

Postby sycophant » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 am

Only because the hardware is properly speced.
sycophant

Postby abyss » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 pm

I hope they have improved the configurations in the mixer to take ZOOM into account cause as it is configurations is not really usable and I'm resorting to using 3 mixers instead

id like to use configurations so i can view my 12 Group channels or buss channels if you prefer preset one configuration and set so there nice and wide to see all the indicators of each channel and have All the 60 + audio or instrument channels nice and narrow so they all fit on one screen with another configuration

at the moment when you swap from buss to 60+ audio channels in my configurations or back i end up with every channel so stretched it takes like 6 minutes to find the channel I'm looking for or swapping the other way around my busses end up squashed in the corner of my screen

configuration really need to remember the ZOOM !!
abyss

Postby beatpete » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Bastard...
Comp1: Windows 7 64bit, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel I7 970, 12 gig Patriot DDR3 ram, RME Digiface, Geoforce 66000 PCIe, , Cubase 7.5.10
Comp 2:Windows 7 64bit, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, Q6600, 8 gig Corsair XMS ram, , MR816 X(x2) VE Pro
beatpete

Postby Brock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Whoa, I didn't realize the full screen mixer with plugins AOT finally worked on Mac. Thanks, Steve!! :D
Brock
MacPro 2x 2.93 Hexacore | 32 GB RAM | OSX 10.9.4 | Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 | Nuendo/Cubase (latest) | UAD-2 Satellite Quad Core | Fractal Audio Axe-FX II | Agile Septor Elite 928 EB Tribal Purple 9-String Guitar
Brock

Postby Steve Helstrip » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 pm

beatpete wrote:

Bastard...

Language, please!
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Steve Helstrip

Postby Brock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:04 am

An issue with using Full Screen for the mixer: while the plugin windows stay on top (on Mac), the editors (e.g., the sample editor) do not. Am I missing something - a setting I don't know about to fix this?
Brock
MacPro 2x 2.93 Hexacore | 32 GB RAM | OSX 10.9.4 | Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 | Nuendo/Cubase (latest) | UAD-2 Satellite Quad Core | Fractal Audio Axe-FX II | Agile Septor Elite 928 EB Tribal Purple 9-String Guitar
Brock

Postby Helge Vogt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Hi all,
I've just updated the announcement thread with full Information!

Cheers,
Helge
Helge Vogt - Team Leader Product Marketing Group
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Helge Vogt

Postby Mauri » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 am

"Remove recent projects from list", this one has always 'bugged' me. To remove recent projects from the list at the moment is almost painful, if you have many, as I tend to accumulate.

Thanks SB,

Mauri.
Australia
Steinberg forum member since aug. 2002

Cubase 7.5.20 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 8 | Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot on 2 x 128GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD + 2 x 256GB Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSDs for samples and project/audio files | P5E | Q6600 @ 3.24GHz | 8GB RAM | Echo Layla 3G PCI | ASUS HD6570 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | Acustica-audio Nebula and many libraries | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Guitars: Formentin Signature Series (strat style) | Les Paul Junior | Epiphone Casino NA

Amps: Blackstar Series One 45w 2 x 12 Celestion combo | Rivera Knuckle Head 100 + 4 x 12 Celestion quad box
Mauri

Postby Steve Helstrip » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Helge Vogt wrote:Hi all,
I've just updated the announcement thread with full Information!

Cheers,
Helge

Wow, that's some list. Looking forward to this one. Thanks! :)
Cubase 7.5.20
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5.

Steve Helstrip

Postby roel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Jalcide wrote:
♫♪♫♪ wrote:

With VEP offloading much of the workload, one would think a crash would be rare.

Is VEP working well, otherwise? I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

I'm VEPPING around for more then a year now, using it live and keeping everything preserved on those servers, also enjoying the way this thing handles the vsti's much better than any of the competition, and still have to have my first crash or other kind of error with it. That host is stable as a very solid rock and very "green" on resources.

Some minor niggles though:
- you loose the multitimbral functionality. For each channel you need a different dll. I know there is a workaround for that, but my IQ isn't high enough to take that into account.
- it is an extra workflow
- since it is an external host, automation is a bit more difficult, but possible

Some major advantages:
- much much better resource handling (much more vsti's loading on f.e. a single system)
- scalability added to a DAW in terms of extra computers over LAN is possible
- you can preserve your instances (so changing arrangements, when using the same vsti's is much much faster, and if there would be a crash on the main daw, everything stays alive vstiwise
- you have control over buffersize per instance, so you can do some tweaking and preserving some resources when handling with very large setups f.e. on a single system

so: in my opinion. Untill SB listens to our features requested where we are asking just those features for cubase, yes it is definitly worth it.

kind regards,
R.
Cubase 7.5.x, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, W170, i7 2760Qm, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, +touch screen
Slave: desktop: Titanus, Q8440, 8 gig, 2x WD HDD + SSD
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb)
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, and a lot of others
roel

Postby HughH » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

roel wrote: you loose the multitimbral functionality. For each channel you need a different dll. I know there is a workaround for that, but my IQ isn't high enough to take that into account.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I'm a new VEPPER (v5) but I can use as many outputs as any VSTi provides with a single instance inside VEP5 (Kontakt, Play4, etc).
You click the little plus sign on the first output and another is created - from the same DLL.

Hugh
Cubase 7.5.2 64bit
W7 i7 12G ASUS MB Studio Machine, Dual Monitors
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn) / Novation AutoMap (Nocturn)
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
VEP5
W7 i7 Sony VAIO Laptop 8G Slave/Remote Machine
RME Digiface PCIe for both
HughH

PreviousNext

Return to General