Steinberg / Arturia V-Collection

Hi again,

Here is a BRILLIANT video on this vst lasting 25 x mins by Rupert Brown and the DSP Project :-

I am still considering purchasing it (Rupert demonstrates some amazing FX and SEQUENCER features exclusive to the vst version). But could anyone confirm please if this is exactly what comes along in the Arturia V-Collection (because the DSP video talks about it being for sale as a SINGLE item) ??

Cheers,

Paul

Very thorough video! Definitely getting a good 80s vibe from that.

As far as I can go in the site, the entire collection is still @ $399.00, while the individual is at $129 (USD).

Hi MP,

You mean its $399 on the Arturia website but still @ a 55% discount in the Steinberg-Arturia sale (on the Steinberg site) ??

Cheers,

Paul

oh! OK I just looked at the Arturia site, and found out that the singles are $99 for download/$129 box

I think $399 must have the discount included. There are 10 (!) synths (maybe too much choices for myself!) so around 55% I guess you end up around that final price $399…

I probably do not want 10 synths from the same company because I am afraid that may have a “family sound”. Or the effects will be shared between the synths, something like that.

I like the 8V, the Wurli, possibly Prophet.

I should add that Trilian Bass Synthesizer has sampled excellent bass from many of these synths, I really like using that already, they are not modeled… I actually enjoy using the Trilian Juno samples alongside the TAL UNO emulation, just makes me feel warm inside. But again, in that case they are not the same, it is not family sound, and I prefer that to a degree.

Thanks MP,

Yes, $399 is the DISCOUNT price (which is very good !!).

I had not considered your point regarding a library having a ‘family’ sound. Though to be honest I am not too fussy or worried about that (esp. @ $399 !!).

I am thinking of upgrading to HALion Sonic 2 and HALion 5 but am not sure if it would be worthwhile purchasing the Arturia Collection as well ?? Last month I installed the ‘trial’ versions of the two HALion programs, but unfortunately, due to some technical problems I have not been able to test them out or even use my Cubase (until today after Technical Support took remote-access of my PC and address many of the issues).

Been a very bad month for me Cubase-wise !! :cry:

H5 is very deep.

It has synthesis capability in it’s rawest, but it doesn’t replace the well thought out, tried and trusted schematics of those famous synths. They are about workflow and certain combination of component that produce those sounds, and how you are inspired by the layout. HW or SW.

H5 is more modular system, requires more of having an initial ideal sound and going thru the building blocks of the program to produce it. Of course it has capable synth presets, I mean it can do anything you need, but I can’t compare it on the workflow angle. You can of course call up from 1000s of synth/sample sounds, maybe 10s of 1000s!

If you have built a collection of synth sample folders, H5 is good for collecting and cataloguing, making splits, creating complex dynamic patches, with round robin and velocity. Its a full fledged music scripter.

I admit that because I have H5, I’m not too quick to buy new synths, I feel the need to learn it first, and H5 opens up new territory for all the years of unused samples on my HD, it’s like a library of so much material, it’s maddening! If you get H5 be ready for it to consume ya! :smiley:

__

H5 is very deep.

You mean complicated and will take a long time to learn ??

It has synthesis capability in it’s rawest, but it doesn’t replace the well thought out, tried and trusted schematics of those famous synths. They are about workflow and certain combination of component that produce those sounds, and how you are inspired by the layout. HW or SW.

Well, I have traditional HW equipment as you can see in my ‘signature’. But I am trying to learn more about modern day methods of creating music using a PC and software etc.

__

H5 is more modular system, requires more of having an initial ideal sound and going thru the building blocks of the program to produce it. Of course it has capable synth presets, I mean it can do anything you need, but I can’t compare it on the workflow angle. You can of course call up from 1000s of synth/sample sounds, maybe 10s of 1000s!

So does H5 actually come shipped with any factory Presets/Samples ?? Or does it use (if any) the contents of HALion Sonic(s) ??

__

If you have built a collection of synth sample folders, H5 is good for collecting and cataloguing, making splits, creating complex dynamic patches, with round robin and velocity. Its a full fledged music scripter.

At the moment I do not have any Samples or a library as such. Only the material I have purchased from the Steinberg site.

I admit that because I have H5, I’m not too quick to buy new synths, I feel the need to learn it first, and H5 opens up new territory for all the years of unused samples on my HD, it’s like a library of so much material, it’s maddening! If you get H5 be ready for it to consume ya!

Where did you acquire the Samples you have on your HD ?? Are they ones you have created yourself ??

Ta,

Paul

Thanks for the discussion!

Thank you MP0,

That’s a very helpful reply because it is not always possible to find everything out from reading reviews or watching You Tube videos. It is much better to find advice from members who already own the software and are familiar with using it.

Yes, I would like to learn about how to SAMPLE some of my HW gear into H5 like my Juno and Minimoog. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time but I have been unsure as to the best method to used because (as I say) I am quite new to computers and Cubase etc. I would really like to post here on the forum lots of interesting samples for Cubase members to download and share.

I was looking to purchase some samples from sites like Producer Loops and Time&Space. They seem to have a lot of materials for sale as downloads. Have you heard of either of these companies before and their sample-packs ?? Do you think that would be a good way to build up a library ??

You say that H5 comes with lots of sample presets. I did not realise this. I thought that all you got was the Sample Player and the only sounds available would be what you already have with the HALion Sonic(s) libraries ??

Cheers,

Paul

Hey Paul,

In some circles there will be a distinction between sampling INTO H5 -and- sampling into Cubase and importing the sample into H5. But anyways, beyond that…

I have heard of those companies, but I have not bought anything. I usually buy specific need stuff, like if I need a clap, congas, I will buy dedicated. I don’t use looping or construction material at all. I could be wrong, but I think those companies specialize on construction packs, which are music building blocks imo.

H5 has ‘programs’ that you load, they are containers for different type of zones, synth or sample zones. So yes there are presets that already have samples incorporated in the patch. The patch might have a combination of samples and synths. You can always extract the sample from the patch, if you want to focus on the sample.

But yeah, it’s not like a sample library or anything. The incorporated sample in H5 are probably catered towards layering textures.

Building a library will depend on what kind of tunes you create! I love live music, and try to incorporate those elements in my music, so I go for multisampled snares, tambourine, claps, sometimes Jupiter 8V stabs LOL, I am still looking for a good conga library. I do not go for samples that are someone else making synth sounds, but I have plenty of that stuff from freebie CD. Keep in mind that the free magazine CD stuff was once part of a purchasable collection, free samples do not mean cheap quality!

I’ll give you this though, buying those libraries mean that the samples are properly tagged and foldered. This saves you so much headache when you want to import an entire key/velo range into H5. It reads the tags and places everything where it should go. My piecemeal samples mean that I will need a few days to get it working.

I have heard of those companies, but I have not bought anything. I usually buy specific need stuff, like if I need a clap, congas, I will buy dedicated. I don’t use looping or construction material at all. I could be wrong, but I think those companies specialize on construction packs, which are music building blocks imo.

Yes, they do make a lot of CONSTRUCTION KIT LOOPS. I bought a handful of the Steinberg ones a couple of years ago as a means to creating some backing-tracks for myself and also as a tool for learning my way around Cubase. I thought they were excellent and got some good results.

__

H5 has ‘programs’ that you load, they are containers for different type of zones, synth or sample zones. So yes there are presets that already have samples incorporated in the patch. The patch might have a combination of samples and synths. You can always extract the sample from the patch, if you want to focus on the sample.

I see. So you can use the Presets in their ‘default’ form, of you can extract the samples to use them in isolation (or to re-combine with something else).

__

But yeah, it’s not like a sample library or anything. The incorporated sample in H5 are probably catered towards layering textures.

So the Presets you get with H5 are NOT duplicates of the other HALion libraries ??

Building a library will depend on what kind of tunes you create! I love live music, and try to incorporate those elements in my music, so I go for multisampled snares, tambourine, claps, sometimes Jupiter 8V stabs LOL, I am still looking for a good conga library. I do not go for samples that are someone else making synth sounds, but I have plenty of that stuff from freebie CD. Keep in mind that the free magazine CD stuff was once part of a purchasable collection, free samples do not mean cheap quality!

I have always played LIVE in bands (unless I am backing a show in which playing along to a ‘click track accomp.’) most of my life though recently I ran a Duo in which we used MP3 backing tracks (and I muted the main keyboard parts which I played myself on my Nord and Roland JV1080). What I would really like is to learn about how to understand and create ‘Electronic’ music (like DANCE etc). Lots of people (I read in forums) seem to use ABLETON rather than Cubase, or sometimes in conjunction with via REWIRE. There is a college in my nearest city (Liverpool) called SAE and it runs a 6 x month course dedication to the letter mentioned. It is 2 x evenings per week (3 x hours each) costing around £2,000.

I’ll give you this though, buying those libraries mean that the samples are properly tagged and foldered. This saves you so much headache when you want to import an entire key/velo range into H5. It reads the tags and places everything where it should go. My piecemeal samples mean that I will need a few days to get it working.

That’s great to know thanks. Simple, quick and easy is a method I will be preferring at my elementary stage.

I see. So you can use the Presets in their ‘default’ form, of you can extract the samples to use them in isolation (or to re-combine with something else).

Yeah, Halion lends itself extremely well to ‘swapping’. You have a program list, a program tree. and program slots. Without getting into that, you have these hierarchical containers where you can expose a patch’s contents and extract what you want into your ‘working’ patch. I’d almost suggest that it is The point of Halion 5!

So the Presets you get with H5 are NOT duplicates of the other HALion libraries ??

Ah I gotcha. Yeah they actually are dups. Check this out. http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_and_halion_sonic/line_up.htmlI guess you do get 300 special patches! But going back to the ‘swap’ workflow, and looking at 2800 patches, you kinda see what you’re working with. Hey I’m new to this too, so I’m also wrapping my head around how to use this. There are some users here who get VERY deep, I’m envious :laughing:

I have always played LIVE in bands (unless I am backing a show in which playing along to a ‘click track accomp.’) most of my life though recently I ran a Duo in which we used MP3 backing tracks (and I muted the main keyboard parts which I played myself on my Nord and Roland JV1080). What I would really like is to learn about how to understand and create ‘Electronic’ music (like DANCE etc). Lots of people (I read in forums) seem to use ABLETON rather than Cubase, or sometimes in conjunction with via REWIRE. There is a college in my nearest city (Liverpool) called SAE and it runs a 6 x month course dedication to the letter mentioned. It is 2 x evenings per week (3 x hours each) costing around £2,000.

There is so much information these days, some forums are very good. I don’t post at them, but occasionally look thru Reaper forums and KVR, the people there are kind and share tons, I mean they drop college courses in some threads, if you look hard enough. I also like Groove 3, $15 per month gets you all access, the information you can get there is astonishing. I like to get an hour a night in, and I read everything whether it’s relevant to my setup or not.

Simple, quick and easy is a method I will be preferring at my elementary stage.

You’ll be fine! Simple, quick and easy is how I prefer to do things at every stage, keeps it fun! :smiley:

__

Ah I gotcha. Yeah they actually are dups. Check this out. > http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_and_halion_sonic/line_up.html> I guess you do get 300 special patches!

Ok cheers, I see now. Its 300 x Patches you get.

I also like Groove 3, $15 per month gets you all access, the information you can get there is astonishing. I like to get an hour a night in, and I read everything whether it’s relevant to my setup or not.

Yes, funnily enough a guy from the Yamaha forum I frequent told me about Groove3 only yesterday !! It looks very good and there is a Cubase (Beginners and Advanced) DVD tutorials costing around $20 I think. I watched the demonstrations and they looked very professionally and well done. You can download the library of MP4’s and so watch them offline via the Gplayer.

The way of purchasing and especially receiving the product afterward is very poor with Arturia, sorry to say.
I bought it yesterday, but normally then shortly after you receive an email with the download information.
BUT NOT WITH ARTURIA!
I read on their forum afterwards (should have done that before) that some people still didn’t have their download email more than a week later. So I think I am going to be happy if I HAVE the product. But I don’t have it yet. Paid for it, but no link. I truly hope for better experiences with other customers.

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your helpful posting (which unfortunately I only just read after my purchase).

I bought it 14 x hours ago and I have still not received it. Totally dreadful service from what you have just said !!

Anyway, I have emailed them this morning and the confirmation ‘sent’ message said :-

Thank you for contacting Us

We know how you appreciate our ongoing efforts and thank you for your praise. We will take any suggestions you may have made to heart and will endeavor to respond to you in a timely manner.

Below is a copy of your message:-

Dear Sir / Madam,

I purchased the V-Collection 12 x hours ago and was promised that I would be receiving a ‘link’ to the download. So far I have received nothing whatsoever ?? Can you please look into this matter because I feel 12 x hours is a fair amount of time to wait.

The payment has cleared and I have printed the receipt as well as a screenshot of the transaction.

Thanks very much indeed.

Paul David Seaman

The second sentence implies that this is a FEEDBACK form and not Tech Support (though it did say for ‘tech issues’ on the submission form) ?? If it IS just a feedback form and I do not get a reply then I will be very angry.

Because I paid using my credit-card I should be able to appeal against the transaction as ‘Goods not received’.

‘Link’ to Arturia Forum thread :-

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=80793.0

Ta,

Paul

What a complete nightmare !! :imp:

All sorted out now though (technical faults at Arturia’s end) and I have finally managed to get the software registered OK.

The Arturia JUPITER 8 and MINIMOOG vsti’s sound totally fantastic (I just tried them thru my Yamaha HS7 monitors). Very pleased with the package despite the hic up with the sale. A brilliant collection @ 55% discount !! :mrgreen:

Today, wednesday (purchased V Collection on saturday), it is sorted out here as well.
Monday I received an e-mail from support with the serial and unlock. Unfortunattely the serial seemed in use already…??
So a reply from me to Arturia again. Now wednesday I received another serial and unlock code, and now I could indeed register. So Arturia V Collection works now.
So on to Cubase to try the Arturia software. Since my 7.5 Cubase update I got the Register message again, so I thought, let’s go to MySteinberg. And what do you think. It says one of my eLicensers belongs to another account…
Exactly my eLicenser with all the Steinberg registrations. Strange. So now a message to Steinberg support to sort that out. But at least everything works.

Hi Arno,

Wow, your situation is more complicated than mine was !!

I hope you manage to get it sorted out soon mate.

Paul

I was at the store and played around with the Juno and 8V, only had time to romp thru presets but they sounded really good. I guess I was confused about hybrid patches because evidently (at least from what I could see) the 8V did not have them. From the headphones available though, the 8V could definitely see some lead time over here, even with that vat. Probably the first time I’ve ever heard thru all the patches in solo. Of course for me it’s all about the strings!

Groove 3 all access all the way, get ALL the Cubase tips in, and both HALion courses in and cancel by the end of the 30 days, is the best bet.