Nuendo 6.5?

Well,
I, recently, did receive a letter from my Volvo Dealership stating that they wanted to update the software in my vehicle for free. This was for the purpose of fixing some bug issues with the vehicle. Mind you it is an older vehicle from 2004. It is nice to see them stand behind their product.

I have been using Nuendo since version 1 and I do NOT recall ever having to pay for a .5 version. Where is the “traditionally” statement coming from ?
Especially with this disaster that is Nuendo 6.
After 25+ years of using Steinberg products starting with Cubase 1 I moved over to Pro Tools for recording and mixing mid last year but still kept Nuendo for composing. However every time I open it I can’t get over the ugly mixer and the amount of crashes things that prior to N6 had never been issues.

I wholeheartedly agree that at the very least Steinberg should NOT charge for this release and focus on fixing what used to be a great product. Also stop with the features nobody is asking for and focus on features that have been asked for for ages now… actually stop with new features all together until you have a stable product again.

My 2 cents

I quite agree. I’ve been around since the PRO24 days. Some time ago, when I was refitting the studio, I was being pressurised to change to ProTools but resisted it only because I did not want to have to learn a new interface. Now, with the ever present issues and unwanted changes and new features I think I should have made the change. I’m also fed up with valid feature requests being ignored for years.

A .5 update indicates to me that the version is only halfway there and therefore should not be charged for. I can’t recall having to pay for a bug fix update midway through a version cycle either.

I have no idea what new features are being thrown in to n6.5 to justify an update charge, but I do know that I don’t want them - what I do want is bugs to be fixed and the interface fixed so that it works as smoothly as previous versions.

Agreed.

Imo we need back some old but very important nuendo-benefits, which we used to have ON TOP:

• Opportunity to fire up mixer shortcuts (from keyboard + or midi) when working and mixing in projectwindow! The need to click with mouse into mixer before is inadmissible.

• This switching tabulator-views has to be kicked. We need back our customizable windows where we users could decide what to view at the same time. Right now no chance to do proper send-panning, insert-routing, etc etc.

This for me is much more important than any new cubase-feature.

Hello,

we are aware of this, however it is not at all a “bug”, but a way of designing window handling. This approach follows
the standard logic how operating systems handle active windows. Thanks to the feedback in this forum as well as additional feedback we’ve received via other channels, we’ve clearly recognized that this behaviour needs to be changed to a different way of window handling. It requires a re-write of the window handling logic, which is already scheduled, but this will require some dev time.

Thanks,
Timo

This is such great news.

I feel a need to chime in with my agreement around the disappointment that 6.5 will be a paid upgrade (this hasn’t happened before) and that 6.0x is apparently not going to be completely fixed before the 6.5 release leaving us with no real choice but to pay for the fixes in 6.5.

Dean

+1

+1

will there be a different price for upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5 than current price from 5.5 to 6.0?
Grace Period?
Wait or buy update now, what´s cheaper, or is it the same price?
Pre-Order discount?
Early Access?
Launch the promotions, I´m ready! :mrgreen:

+1

I keep trying to work with N6 but always return to 5.5.6. A real disappointment.

+1

When new features are added to Nuendo I expect to pay for an update. This update has new features, so charging is justified.

I just wish some things would be fixed before new updates are added…

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Hello!

As a past Cakewalk/Sonar user, I find this aspect of the discussion quite interesting. There was a time, with Cakewalk/Sonar, when you only had to move the mouse over a window to make it active, and bring it to the front. Many users complained. They said it got in the way. Apparently, some people move the mouse around while they think so, the changing windows distracted them.

I don’t know about writing code, but maybe there could be an option to control this window-mouse relationship, so that those, like me, who scratch their chin while they think, could leave the “auto-activate” feature on, and those who move the mouse could turn it off.

This is a comment from a future Nuendo user.

Hi, it’s about not using the mouse at all! I don’t care if to click or not to click and just mouse over, it’s just that we were used to fire up mixer commands via keystroke or midi-message from a controller without having the mixer-window in focus. It’s paradox, if you have a midi-controller for mixing, but always have to move the mouse into mixer to “activate” the full functionality via click after every editing in edit-window. Then no more need for keycommands.

I do not follow the complexity of implementing this, since we got this functionality in all prev. Versions until N6, but I’m thoroughly optimistic that Steinberg will fix this soon.

(Btw: Since N6 the “close”-command in file-menu, which always was for closing the current session, now only closes the window which is in focus, so when trying to close the project I always keep on just closing the mixer or marker-window. Also a strange new design for me. Why do I need a close-command in file-menu which closes single windows?)

We need a NEW (from the N6 cycle) concept for the Mix Console and Control Room. Closer to N5.5 IMO (w/ track versions and track visibility of course).
N6 should never been released in this state, but it is the only way to get enough beta testers to cover as many aspects of the app as possible.

O.K. I see what you mean. Hmmm! :slight_smile:

N6 should never been released in this state, but it is the only way to get enough beta testers to cover as many aspects of the app as possible.

No there are other ways, one of them is to pay beta testers.

Anyway the main problem with Nuendo 6 is not really at this level. The problem is that the test procedures were not clearly defined and / or completes. If they were, we would have seen less evident bugs like the one i did find for the missing automation delta level indicator.

You can have many testers and still miss some bugs if a complete test procedure is not rigorously defined and strictly applied by testers before release.

Obviously defining test procedures is not something programmers like to do, it is a full job for peoples that like to do that. But Nuendo needs this now and i think that the announcement for Nuendo 6.5 prove that SB is now aware of that and for sure you will see that Nuendo 6.5 will be a strong release.

I think you are wrong about that.
In many cases, the test procedures are even written before the actual feature is build.
Much effort is put into regression tests, simply because they are extremely important and reduce the risk of having severe bugs send to the beta team.
However, these regression tests are only testing the functionality of the feature, and other regression tests (from other features and within other places of the DAW) are making sure that the new feature doesn’t break anything else. This does not include “cosmetic” bugs. Which is the case of the problem you are referring to.
The trim function works as designed, the only thing that was “broken” was the delta indicator. Which is the visual aid for the feauture. Which again, by itself is located in another area. 'Cause it was also used for midi tracks.
Not trying to minimize “your” bug, but cosmetic stuff is usually last in the row of “things to be fixed”.
Will be fixed in the upcoming 6.5.2 by the way …

Fredo