Nuendo 6.5?

This is such great news.

I feel a need to chime in with my agreement around the disappointment that 6.5 will be a paid upgrade (this hasn’t happened before) and that 6.0x is apparently not going to be completely fixed before the 6.5 release leaving us with no real choice but to pay for the fixes in 6.5.

Dean

+1

+1

will there be a different price for upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5 than current price from 5.5 to 6.0?
Grace Period?
Wait or buy update now, what´s cheaper, or is it the same price?
Pre-Order discount?
Early Access?
Launch the promotions, I´m ready! :mrgreen:

+1

I keep trying to work with N6 but always return to 5.5.6. A real disappointment.

+1

When new features are added to Nuendo I expect to pay for an update. This update has new features, so charging is justified.

I just wish some things would be fixed before new updates are added…

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Hello!

As a past Cakewalk/Sonar user, I find this aspect of the discussion quite interesting. There was a time, with Cakewalk/Sonar, when you only had to move the mouse over a window to make it active, and bring it to the front. Many users complained. They said it got in the way. Apparently, some people move the mouse around while they think so, the changing windows distracted them.

I don’t know about writing code, but maybe there could be an option to control this window-mouse relationship, so that those, like me, who scratch their chin while they think, could leave the “auto-activate” feature on, and those who move the mouse could turn it off.

This is a comment from a future Nuendo user.

Hi, it’s about not using the mouse at all! I don’t care if to click or not to click and just mouse over, it’s just that we were used to fire up mixer commands via keystroke or midi-message from a controller without having the mixer-window in focus. It’s paradox, if you have a midi-controller for mixing, but always have to move the mouse into mixer to “activate” the full functionality via click after every editing in edit-window. Then no more need for keycommands.

I do not follow the complexity of implementing this, since we got this functionality in all prev. Versions until N6, but I’m thoroughly optimistic that Steinberg will fix this soon.

(Btw: Since N6 the “close”-command in file-menu, which always was for closing the current session, now only closes the window which is in focus, so when trying to close the project I always keep on just closing the mixer or marker-window. Also a strange new design for me. Why do I need a close-command in file-menu which closes single windows?)

We need a NEW (from the N6 cycle) concept for the Mix Console and Control Room. Closer to N5.5 IMO (w/ track versions and track visibility of course).
N6 should never been released in this state, but it is the only way to get enough beta testers to cover as many aspects of the app as possible.

O.K. I see what you mean. Hmmm! :slight_smile:

N6 should never been released in this state, but it is the only way to get enough beta testers to cover as many aspects of the app as possible.

No there are other ways, one of them is to pay beta testers.

Anyway the main problem with Nuendo 6 is not really at this level. The problem is that the test procedures were not clearly defined and / or completes. If they were, we would have seen less evident bugs like the one i did find for the missing automation delta level indicator.

You can have many testers and still miss some bugs if a complete test procedure is not rigorously defined and strictly applied by testers before release.

Obviously defining test procedures is not something programmers like to do, it is a full job for peoples that like to do that. But Nuendo needs this now and i think that the announcement for Nuendo 6.5 prove that SB is now aware of that and for sure you will see that Nuendo 6.5 will be a strong release.

I think you are wrong about that.
In many cases, the test procedures are even written before the actual feature is build.
Much effort is put into regression tests, simply because they are extremely important and reduce the risk of having severe bugs send to the beta team.
However, these regression tests are only testing the functionality of the feature, and other regression tests (from other features and within other places of the DAW) are making sure that the new feature doesn’t break anything else. This does not include “cosmetic” bugs. Which is the case of the problem you are referring to.
The trim function works as designed, the only thing that was “broken” was the delta indicator. Which is the visual aid for the feauture. Which again, by itself is located in another area. 'Cause it was also used for midi tracks.
Not trying to minimize “your” bug, but cosmetic stuff is usually last in the row of “things to be fixed”.
Will be fixed in the upcoming 6.5.2 by the way …

Fredo

6.5.2? - N6.5 is not even released yet and you are talking about 6.5.2 ! - Is this the initial 6.5 release or is it already a bug fix update for 6.5? - Is there also a 6.5.1 ?

That is a frightening thought! So we are expected to pay for updates and at the same time be seen as beta-testers by Steinberg. If that is true is would indicate a huge lack of respect for its customers by SB.

It is definitively a frightening thought. But how else could they have such many reports back, on the level of so many different features and workflows?
Good developement tactic, bad customer treatment.

Me thinks that the Cubase 7 and the Nuendo 6 cycle is a strategic intermediate stage to the real new versions. Which is the next major versions.
All business strategy IMO. We are actually paying up front fro the next version, especially when paying for x.5 updates/upgrades.

I think I’ll play some tactics back :wink:

No consperacies, no ripp-offs, no cheating …

Its a workflow model which is designed to be as productive as possibly can, within the least amount of time at reasonable cost. And that goes for the customer too.

Any other suggestion (fix this first, drop everything until …,etc) is nowhere near as efficient and cost effective.
Yes, there are drawbacks and negative sides to it. But any other “system” would produce much more unconveniences.

And before someone says: “hire more people” … that also comes with a price tag.
A price you are paying for …

Fredo

FWIW, as a new convert to Cubase (from Logic) and potential Nuendo user (just as soon as 6.5 comes out), I find it pretty refreshing that these kind of discussions can even take place with genuine developers and their representatives. Try having open discourse with Apple devs on Logic, or even Avid regarding ProTools (both products I’ve used for upwards of 10 years) and you’ll get nowhere unless you raise a support case - something you usually have to pay for.

No developer will please everyone all the time, but the fact that they appear here and make honest contributions in public space is a major credit to Steinberg.

[fan mode off]

Jules