High latency since 7.5.1 (resolved)

Thanks for the reply.

I tried that and it made no difference. It seems like the CI2 is not the active output, but it is set as the only playback and recording device, in fact the CI2 is the only device it lists.

As I said before the latency I hear stays the same no matter how I set things in Cubase.

Thanks for the reply.

No plugins, I double checked. I also created a new track a few times when checking it.

Seriously, start from the ground up with LatencyMon and / or DPC Latency checker.

If it was not Cubase wouldn’t I have latency problems with Wavelab also?

I used LatencyMon…

Precisely the reason you should consider an internal soundcard.

P.S. I will check out that LatencyMon program (could not view your image).

I have an internal soundcard, MAudio 2496, I switched to the CI2 and it has worked fine for over a year, until now. Works better for me than the 2496 (or did).

My image shows LatencyMon, it says 'Your system appears to be suitable etc." and latency in Cubase; input latency 5.578 ms, output 8.299. It has always been about that and should be fine, but I ‘hear’ at least half second of latency. ASIO-guard says 11 ms, but it makes no difference on or off.

Maudio is not really very good when it comes to drivers, at least in my opinion.

I use Echo Audio gear, simply because they support modern standards such as WASAPI, MMCSS and ASIO 2.2.

RME is supposedly decent but they would never confirm whether or not these standards were used, so I did not buy them but they may do now after going PCIe.

OK, good - looks like your system generally is ok. If you’re hearing half a second when its reporting 11ms, then clearly something is wildly amiss within Cubase. Maybe it is something specifically to do with 7.5.1, but AFAIK no-one else has reported an issue like this so if it is it must be very configuration-specific.

If you’ve disabled all other soundcards and its made no difference, you could try swapping to Asio4all drivers (free download). They’re pretty good, and it will isolate if its a specific driver compatibility problem to do with the C12 and Cubase (which would be ironic if it was). I do know that Steinberg hardware doesn’t have the greatest reputation for drivers, so it’s not impossible I guess.

You can safely ignore the generic internal soundcard advice, as you’ve experienced its perfectly possible to get consistent, excellent results via USB from a solid manufacturer.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Okay, this is a bit left field, but just in case…

The only time I had a serious problem with latency in Cubase was as a result of a (Steinberg) plugin, one of the compression plugins. There are settings that allow the compressor vst to run without big latency, but if these are not set you can get horrible latency that, irritatingly, is not measured anywhere by Cubase.

Are you running a project with Steinberg compression plugin?

Steve.

Thanks, tried Asio4all with no luck, gives me 11ms but still the same high latency in monitors.

I just noticed that ‘direct monitoring’ is greyed out, pretty sure I used to have that turned on?

YOu could try to open your case, remove your soundcard, restart windows, make sure all uninstalled, power off, put sound card back in.

Thanks for all the suggestions it is finally resolved.

Feel a bit stupid I didn’t try this before just didn’t think about it. I opened a new project and imported everything from the old project and latency was gone. Still weird though cause nothing is different in the new project.

Excellent!

Using some Iinear phase eq’s will introduce latency. Don’t know if you were using one though. Could have been plugin related.

I’ve read that doing this has fixed a number of other issues people have had in other threads.

That’s good to know, thanks.

I had the same problem, half a second’s latency no matter what I did. For any reason, don’t get it, control room was enabled and when I disabled that one, everything returned to normal.
Computers are strange guys.
Programs are strange guys.
Humans, with all their inconsistencies, are strange but reliable guys.

This forum is human.

RME are indeed excellent. I use a Fireface UC and it performs extremely well. I can use 64 although I am mostly using 128 when using a lot of VSTi’s. I had a long conversation with RME tech support when I was considering a new soundcard as I was thinking about replacing my old one. He dissuaded me from the PCIe route as he felt that the USB performed as well if not better with regard to latency. Believe me the sound quality was a step up from anything I had experienced before. This was three years ago and it has performed beautifully with even the most heavily loaded project. They are reputed to write the best USB 2 drivers in the business.

I also had a long conversation with RME once, begging them to make a USB interface and of course buss timing was supposedly a problem but alas you have seen the fruits.

The big problem is lack of support for 1394 in Windows OS going forward from 8.