Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Re: Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness.

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Tomek wrote:
Bredo wrote:
Tomek wrote:"floating" inspector bar, PT style ;)

make it allways on top and will automaticaly scroll during selecting track

http://www.gifti.me/i/b9qAm.jpg

I see you have used the third Mix Console.
Can you save this as a mixer configuration? Or a workspace? (I will try my self when at my DAW).

Nice tip.

simple mixer configuration

btw. does it update automatically then, following the selected track(s) in the arrange without having to use an extra keycommand? still quite new to the new mixer. so far i can only update the console to the currently selected track in the arrange manually, using a keycommand.
c6, c7.5.2, w7, i7 4930k 6core, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, SSL duende, RME HDSP, audeze lcd-2, avantone mixcubes, slate digital, ...

www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby GrahamInChezzy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:35 am

Here's a very nice solution to the problem of creating a click count-in for a tempo change, contributed by the ever-creative Vic France.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=55217
GrahamInChezzy

Postby Pondstreetstudios » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for this excellent thread!

Maybe a bit off topic, but real time savers

- replace your HD with an SSD
- move to 64bit (W7, Cubase, plugins)
- say goodbye to any plugins that cause crashes
- use a wireless keyboard with key commands for recording (arm, rec, play/pause, go left, undo) so you have kind of remote control

Key commands have been mentioned already. If you have trouble remembering them, invent some system and make them somewhat failsafe. For example, my first level key commands are all non-destructive (mainly zoom an transport functions), so I won't accidentally delete an entire project by just hitting the wrong key. Shift is mainly for audio functions (like gain, pitch), and CTRL will mostly open editors. I always try to associate a word with the letter of the key, so it's not so hard to remember. Maybe not your preferred way, but I think you get the picture...

Pondstreetstudios
Studio A | Cubase 7.0.7 64bit | W7 64bit | RME UFX | Midex8
Studio B | Cubase 7.0.7 64bit | W7 64bit | Scarlett 18i20 | UM-3G Midi
Pondstreetstudios

Postby Prock » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 pm

For Windows O/S: Here is a way to restart a USB midi device that was plugged in before starting Cubase and was running properly but somehow got disconnected during the session.

Once you discover your USB is disconnected and not working do the following procedure:
1) Shut off your USB midi device
2) Re-plugin your USB midi device
3) Turn on your USB midi device
4) Go to Devices>Device Setup...>MIDI Port Setup
5) Find your USB midi device in the list and uncheck the box "In ALL MIDI" this will make the state "Inactive"
6) Recheck the "In ALL MIDI" box to make the state "Active"
7) Hit OK

You would think just hitting the "reset" button instead of doing steps 5 & 6 would work but it doesn't work for me. :?:

Regardless, you should be all set.

Sincerely,
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase 7.5.20 (64bit), OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz, RAM: 8GB, Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 650, AI: PreSonus Firebox
Prock

Postby Paul Coyle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi All,

Couple more tips collated into the main post, thanks to everyone for sharing their incredible cleverness.

PC
DAW W7 32Bit-Cubase 7.5.2-Wavelab 8.0.3-Core2 Quad Q9400-4 Gb Ram-Lots of HDD's-Dual Monitors-Old, but solid! Interface AD/DA Focusrite Liquid 56 (Mix Control 3.2)-Focusrite Octopre Platinum (Via Twin Light-pipe)-DBX 386 dual valve Pre (Via AES/EBU)Monitoring Genelec 1029A's-Yamaha HS10W Sub Console Yamaha PM2000 24/8-146kg of analogue goodness
Paul Coyle

Postby mozizo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Alt+mouse scroll (a little hand icon appears) to move the projects view around
Edit:my english messed up, SteveInChicago correct me on this.

click mouse wheel and Drag project and editors Screen area + projects inspector( seems it doesn't work on inspector areas inside editors)

Edit 2: another related to navigation.. try ctrl+ scroll wheel .. Shift+scroll wheel and see what it does :)

(its all new to me so i share it for those like me who didn't know about it..)
Last edited by mozizo on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:20 am, edited 8 times in total.
cubase 7.5.20 64bit ,halion 5
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win7 64bit 8gb
(PC Desktop AMD dual core win xp32 cubase 7-32)
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6 Kawai Mp4 Korg PA800.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby SteveInChicago » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 pm

mozizo wrote:Alt+mouse scroll (a little hand icon appears) to move the projects view around

You're saying you drag the interface or you use the scroll wheel? Drag, I suppose...

For Mac that would be Middle-Click drag, works everywhere.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby mozizo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:16 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:
mozizo wrote:Alt+mouse scroll (a little hand icon appears) to move the projects view around

You're saying you drag the interface or you use the scroll wheel? Drag, I suppose...

For Mac that would be Middle-Click drag, works everywhere.

Drag indeed :) its new to me so i didn't examine it yet on other places.. good to know it works everywhere
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby SteveInChicago » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Check it out in the Inspector.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby mozizo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Check it out in the Inspector.

:mrgreen: nice.. not sure if i gonna use it personally, but good to know its there.
actually i probably will use it, cuz sometimes opening more than one inspector "slot" can exceed the screen, now i can drag the inspector up and down :!: cool
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby SteveInChicago » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:42 pm

mozizo wrote:sometimes opening more than one inspector "slot" can exceed the screen, now i can drag the inspector up and down
Exactly.
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby alexis » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:31 am

Pondstreetstudios wrote:Thanks for this excellent thread!

- use a wireless keyboard with key commands for recording (arm, rec, play/pause, go left, undo) so you have kind of remote control

Key commands have been mentioned already. If you have trouble remembering them, invent some system and make them somewhat failsafe. For example, my first level key commands are all non-destructive (mainly zoom an transport functions), so I won't accidentally delete an entire project by just hitting the wrong key. Shift is mainly for audio functions (like gain, pitch), and CTRL will mostly open editors. I always try to associate a word with the letter of the key, so it's not so hard to remember. Maybe not your preferred way, but I think you get the picture...

Pondstreetstudios

Boy, that sure would be nice to control my DAW from down the hall and into the next room!

I tried to see how far this home computer's keyboard could be from the tower and still control the computer ... not too far :cry: .

What is it that determines how far one can be ... battery power, specific models of keyboard, "muscleness" of the wireless system, ... ?

And if this is asking too much from a tool that is not meant to be used in that fashion (wireless keyboard as a very remote controller) ... does anyone have personal experience with an "in-the-next-room" controller for Cubase (7.5.20) on PC?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby ulesto » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:29 pm

What is it that determines how far one can be ... battery power, specific models of keyboard, "muscleness" of the wireless system, ... ?

Bluetooth wireless has a range of about 30 feet. At around that limit my wireless mouse is quite laggy, but combined with Cubase iC it does the trick. You can buy a bluetooth usb dongle which may give you an extra 10 feet or so on the end of a usb cable, but usb cables have a limited length as well. I would imagine that it also depends on how much junk the signal has to get past-ie appliances, walls full of plumbing and electrical boxes, etc. In my case the five feet of iso booth can kill the connection so placing it on the wall closest to the transmitter makes all the difference.
[i}Mac Pro, OSX 10.9, MR816CSX, Cubase 7.5, Halion 5, Halion Sonic, HSO, Waves, UAD...
ulesto

Postby nke » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted everyone in the solution below to get credit!

I was looking for a way to save an entire folder as a preset. An interesting solution emerged (below). Apologies if this is something obvious; It's a real timesaver for me!

nke wrote:

Is it possible to save entire Folders as a preset?
by nke » 14 Mar 2014 08:34

Hi.

I have some folders set up with multi-timbral multi-output VSTs (e.g., Kontakt 5 16 Out). These are set up with the VST, outputs and midi channels all set up properly, named, etc. Is there a way I can save the entire set up (ALL tracks and their assignments in the folder) as a single preset? I know I can save the VST and it's outputs as a preset, but I have to set up the midi tracks and their assignments every time. I'd love to have a series of preconfigured folders I could just drop into a new template as needed. (You can do something like this in LOGIC X with Folder Stacks. Really convenient alternative to trying to have everything in a template.)

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

rpaillot805 wrote:Hey Guys,

Good news, what you ask is already possible, with some limitations regarding routing and sends !

I basically created an instrument track with 5 strings section loaded ( cellos, bass, violas, violins 1, violins 2 ) with a discrete audio output for each, and different insert FX on each section.
You cannot save a folder as a track preset, but just go inside your folder , and if you select all the tracks of your instrument track and right-click to save preset, it saves the whole instrument track with the selected tracks, saves the output scheme , as well as the insert FX.

I tried to make a group channel ( lets say a reverb for the strings) , and send each output to the reverb via send, it unfortunately doesnt save send and group channel informations, as well as routing ( if you want to route all the audio outputs to a group channel ) , maybe for a future version of cubase ? :)
But you can "overcome" this by saving the instrument track preset and do another save for the FX channel. Then you'll just need to remake the send manually for each output.

Or you can do like me, use reverb as insert FX , I know its a shame for some, but I like it .... but this way reverb settings will be saved in the instrument track preset

I gotta thank you. This actually does what I'm after! (My needs are simple. :) )

- I created an instance of Kontakt with 5 instruments (Vln1, Vln2, Vla, Vlc, CB).
    - Made sure the outputs were activated.
    - Assigned the instruments to the outputs.
    - Named and assigned midi tracks to the instruments.
    - And this is what I didn't do before: I highlighted all of these tracks in the arrangement view (Kontakt PLUS the midi tracks) and created a track preset.

I could then add the whole kit and caboodle as an instrument using the menu: Project>Add Track>Using Track Preset. (It took me a bit to find it ... it showed up quicker once the "Track Preset Multi" selector was chosen under the "media Type" column.) I've attached a picture. Everything from track 15 to 27 was loaded in one fell swoop! Sorry if this is old news to folks, but it's news to me and I thinks its cool!

BTW you are right: The routings to sub mixes don't hold, and I have to put the new set of tracks into their own folder after they are created, but that's fine. This gets me 90% of the way there!

I'm a happy camper.
Attachments
Cubase Test.png
Tracks 15-27 loaded in one click, pretty much configured to go...
(228.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
12 core MACPro | 10.9.4 | 14GB | Cubase 7.5.2 | Coming to terms with Live | Intrigued but intimidated by Renoise...

http://www.gesslr.com
twitter @gesslr
http://www.soundcloud.com/gesslr
FB - gesslr.gesslr
nke

Postby Ian s » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Ian s wrote:
Stealth wrote:Select midi event(s) in the project/arrange page then Shift + up or down arrow key to change octave

I never knew that. Stunning tip!

After using this for a month, I can honestly say that this post from Stealth has improved my life no end.

Thanks again!
C7.06 | W7 | MR816CSX | CC121| ES-175D | Es-345
Ian s

Postby vanhaze3000 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 am

Don't know if my tip is already posted in this thread ( sorry, thread is just too long to read all).
But a way to delete a plugin from the Inserts pane in the Inspector in the Project window:

Just click the plugin and drag it out of the slot: It will be deleted from the Insert Slot !! :D
I can't remember from which person i got this info but i really want to thank him and i assume this workflow is faster than
opening the plugin choose window and choose "no plugin" 8-)
How simple and nice can things be ... yikes !
Hackintosh I7 3.5 Ghz 32 Gig RAM * OSX 10.9.2 * Cubase 7.5.1 (64bit) * Maschine Studio * Novation Impulse * Lots of legal plugins.
vanhaze3000

Postby Ian s » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:51 pm

vanhaze3000 wrote:Don't know if my tip is already posted in this thread ( sorry, thread is just too long to read all).
But a way to delete a plugin from the Inserts pane in the Inspector in the Project window:

Just click the plugin and drag it out of the slot: It will be deleted from the Insert Slot !! :D
I can't remember from which person i got this info but i really want to thank him and i assume this workflow is faster than
opening the plugin choose window and choose "no plugin" 8-)
How simple and nice can things be ... yikes !

Nice one!
Ian s

Postby mozizo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

1:To start play from event start to its end:
select an event(s) (also works on midi notes in midi editor), use alt+spacebar

2: to set locators upside down to an event (red locators) select event use ; control+enter(on numeric pad).
to skip that event in playback when locators are red activate the cycle on transport bar.
cubasis,cubase ic pro
mozizo

Postby trashdinner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 am

Pondstreetstudios wrote:Thanks for this excellent thread!

Pondstreetstudios

I just upgraded to a SSD and Cubase 64bit :D It took me 3 days to reinstall everything, but man I'm glad I did!!! So much faster, more stable ect!
trashdinner

Postby Tanant » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:19 am

On an instrument track in the mixer, left-click and drag the mouse over 'e' for edit and let go before your mouse leaves the 'e' button and you'll open the VSTi panel.

So, a quick, short left click drag over the e to open the instrument.

Not sure if everyone knows that already.
Cubase 7 x64 | Win7 | Core i7 2600k@4.7Ghz | 16GB RAM | MOTU Ultralite
Tanant

Postby Grim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:35 am

So, a quick, short left click drag over the e to open the instrument.

Is this any different from the official click and hold to open the vsti?
I suspect this is all you are really doing and the short left drag is unconnected.
i7 930@2.8, 12Gb, W7HP x64, Cubase 7.5.20 x64, Steinberg UR28M, Alphatrack, Wavelab Elements 7.2.1.
Grim

Postby Ian s » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 am

ulesto wrote:

Bluetooth wireless has a range of about 30 feet. At around that limit my wireless mouse is quite laggy, but combined with Cubase iC it does the trick. You can buy a bluetooth usb dongle which may give you an extra 10 feet or so on the end of a usb cable, but usb cables have a limited length as well. I would imagine that it also depends on how much junk the signal has to get past-ie appliances, walls full of plumbing and electrical boxes, etc. In my case the five feet of iso booth can kill the connection so placing it on the wall closest to the transmitter makes all the difference.

I find also it depends what you put the keyboard on:

substantial metal desk music stand - doesn't work at all
lightweight music stand - range about 10 feet
cheap fally-over music stand - 20 feet but your keyboard crashes to the ground.
Upended cardboard box - all over the studio!
Ian s

Postby Carlo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Very useful for dialog editing and AFAIK not documented specifically:
You might know the situation where an actor, while speaking, turns her or his head. The sound changes dramatically and you want to apply some EQ on just a small section of a clip. So you chop it up, hit your KC (another situation where its a huge time saver) to bring up your preferred offline EQ, adjust and hit process.
Now, as your clip is still selected, all you have to do is hit "X" (the default KC for Crossfades) and Crossfades will be created at the beginning and end of that clip. There is no need to select the clip before and after the one that you processed !
8-)
Carlo

Postby bjones306 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 pm

ulesto wrote:

Don't know if it's been brought up already, but there are plenty of wifi solutions that would work much better for a wireless controller situation. And many are quite cheap as well. Cubase IC and V-control pro for instance if you already have an iphone, ipad, android phone, android tablet or the like. Your going to get much better range using wifi than with bluetooth or IR. V-control pro is still pretty viable for multi touch wireless mixing with C7.5 although I do hope they end up updating it for the new mixer. Cubase IC is great if all you need is basic transport functions. Just a few suggestions if your concerned about range. Also, if your dealing with an iso booth, you may just want to drop a hotspot above the ceiling, or even snake one into the booth if reception is that bad.
Cubase 7.5 64bit -- Windows 8.1 64bit -- Intel I7 Ivy bridge -- Asus Sabertooth z77 MB -- 32 gig ddr3 ram -- 2x MR816csx -- Steinberg CC121 -- Radeon HD 6800 Series Video Card
bjones306

Postby Bacizone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:16 am

Hope it was not listed yet:
In the Track Inspector, Alt+Click on the Bypass buttons will reset the settings of Insert / Strip / Equalizer / Send.
Bacizone

PreviousNext

Return to General