Midi timing suggestion on recorded VST instruments.

Hi,

I just registered to the forum so that I could comment on this issue, as I believe it accurately describes the problem I have been working around for the last few months since getting Cubase 7.

Description of my system/issue - I run Cubase 7 on a 6-core 2011-2012 Mac Pro (OS 10.8.5) and use Vienna Ensemble Pro networked from a PC to host most of my virtual instruments. My current interface is a PreSonus Firestudio mobile.

Example of the issue in practice - I have a single staccato line quantized to each half note and the metronome playing so I can VERY clearly follow the rhythm for testing purposes. On a new track, I record arm and watch the timeline as I play exactly in time with the staccato and the metronome. Everything sounds correct while recording, but watching the grid as I play, the notes themselves are placed just shy of a 16th ahead in time of what I am hearing, and on playback they now sound early.

I have tinkered with buffer size, ASIO-Guard, Adjust for Record Latency, Delay Compensation, and every other timing setting I can find but cannot resolve the issue. I have also verified that it is not an issue related to VE-Pro - the behavior appears even on standard instrument tracks. The issue is more global than that, like the playback head/cursor itself is displaying behind the actual audio. The issue remains even at lower buffer sizes. I compared notes with a colleague running a very similar setup on a Mac but uses a Steinberg MR816X Firewire Interface - he doesn’t seem to have the issue, leaving my best guess to be that this is somehow hardware/clocking related?

I apologize for posting to what seems to be an already saturated thread topic, but wanted to contribute my observations since my problem seemed to align with the original issue of the thread.