How much compression do lights indicate on STRIP COMPRESSORS

When you use the compressors that are built into the Channel Strip on Cubase 7.5, you get a much more simplified display than using the regular insert version of the plug-in.

There are the lights that light up when you are compressing something. However, there is nothing to indicate how much compression exactly is taking place.

So, for example, on just the standard compressor on the Channel Strip, how many dB’s compression does each light indicate (and, yes, I see that the red light can be dimmer or brighter depending on how much compression is being applied). Is each light, like 2 db or something? It seems to be something like that. Or does it vary depending on how much compression is taking place or whatever?

Also, besides the “ease” of use in using the Channel Strip compressors and other Channel Strip EFX, is there an advantage in terms of processing power saved? Or does it not make it difference if I use a regular insert plug-in (of the same type) versus using the one built into the strip?

Thanks,
mike

The FX and devices in the strip are simplified versions of the standard plugins included. Using the full plugin as an insert will present you with the full metering. No doubt you’ve figured that out already. The point is, as with virtually all plugins, they require a certain knack, or “getting used to”. Once you get past the textbook settings for ratio etc. the rest is experience. After a while you learn to know the specific plugin, and how it should sound - the indicator lights are not so important (similar to some mixers that provide full metering for all channels compared to one that only provides a single LED indication per channel. When scanning the channels, all your really looking for is to see that all channels are at a decent level and that none are clipping which can also be accomplished with a single led glowing green or orange and red, and the full metering is somewhat superfluous).

To reiterate, these plugins require a certain amount of experience, which can only be gained in practise. Using the full plugin initially will help you get accustomed to the effect.
That the FX in the channel strip use the same algorithms etc. as their standard plugins I should think the processing power savings will be slightly better for the strip controls (especially less graphic power) , but perhaps not too dissimilar.

One thing I was quite happy to see in v7 was the gain reduction meters in the Mix Console meter bridge.

Reduction is indicated with a downward red line that may be accurate in terms of DB.

In any case it’s bigger and easier to see across your entire mix than the little “LEDs” in the strip.

Hugh

i think thats the only reason i don’t use the strip at all is because there is no meters on them …
shame really … if they at least let you see the meter when your editing them that would even work
i don’t use the meter bridge either …

Totally agree… last time I checked we are making adjustments as to what sounds good… not adjusting according to the pretty lights or db markers on said plugin. :slight_smile:

Your loss then … pity…

RTFM/Search I know… but quickly, how do I expose the ‘analogue’ controls (knobs) on the strip again?

…and we talk about all these console plugins like NLS, Satson, but the Cubase mixer is really the real deal (I have not used it like that yet) but with the gate, and tape… you can kind of get into that control surface/mix with the ears sort of thing, get pretty far without pulling up a plugin. That option is very nice. When I do mixes with only the 88RS, Its a different and refreshing experience. I love the idea of hard-wiring the entire strip to a control surface, very interesting :slight_smile:

My feelings exactly. When they made the entire Strip available on the MCU, I started using it more (having 24 channels of it).
I had not to that point partly because it’s so small on the screen . . . but with hard controls under my hands? Nice.
“Hands on” mix by ear kind of thing. And I DO use the bridge and love to be able to see how hard I’m hitting my comps (when using the Strip for this) across the mix in a glance. Artemus/Apollo style (and others). Wish they’d make plugin comps GR visible there, also.
And the Strip is really quite useable. Very good, in fact, in some cases.
Too many mixers hear what they think they should (or what they’re told to) because “it’s a classic”, “Industry Standard” and all that baloney.
It’s always fun to set up a BLIND A/B test for certain plugins with your Golden Eared friends. Match a “classic” EQ with the Cubase EQ as best you can (BY EAR, mind you), and see if they can ID the “Classic”. It’s quite eye (or ear, I should say) opening sometimes.

" . . only the 88RS"??
Hmmm . . .

I’ve never seen anything BUT knobs. Can I make them something else?
I know you can’t mean clicking on the name in the strip to drop them down . . .

Hugh

Ooops, I meant EQ, not strip. Mine are the classic sliders and text input fields.

I read/watched a video somewhere that showed a simple way to switch the mixer display to EQ knobs, … Or maybe I’m just confused and was looking at the strip?

PG.206 shows how to change the view in the editor, not the mixer?

I don’t think there is a way. I tried everything, even . . .(gulp) reading the manual.
Nothing.
3 possibilities in the Channel Edit Window. 1 in the Inspector.
Did learn you could double click EQ points to deactivate them (did not know that!).
Or even drag them outside the display.

Hugh

Hi
If you mean the properties window, select the EQ panel and in the top right corner there is a tiny green “LED” clicking it cycles between knobs, sliders and nothing.

Hope this helps.

I’d like to know how each red block represents too.

And do the red block represent the same amount of dB reduction in Pro 8 as 7.5 ?

Would love to know both.

I’m also interested. I like using the channel strip compressor in CP8 for dynamic management (as opposed to others for colouring the sound) as it’s convenient and I’m hoping it is less resource hungry.
But, it would be nice to know how much gain reduction is taking place so you could quick dial in the approximate amount of make up gain straight away and then adjust from there.

Any information on this, Steinberg, please?

Thanks

For anyone who was also wondering about this:

While looking at my Mix Console meter, and comparing the Channel Strip compressors to their respective Insert plugin versions, it looks like each little light on the meter equals about 6 dB of attenuation.