Why Does Cubase Ruin My Creativity Every Time?

May i suggest an acoustic Daw instead of a Digital one , they are less trouble some and power free :wink:

1 Like

+1
I use 64 bit Cubase and have a similar number of plugins. I disable all my 32 bit vst duplications and only run 32 bit plugins that work in JBridge. Most of the problems I had in the past were 32 bit plugs. When I was running Cubase 6 in 32 bit I had no end of issues with crashes related to running out of memory. A thing of the past now thank goodness.

nonlocal you did not say what system you are using and whether you are running a 32 or a 64 bit version of Cubase?

1 Like

The plug-in rescan and things of this nature are pretty small things to be complaining about. Granted if we removed the dongle from the equation it would certainly speed up the process, and this has already been proven, but unfortunately that isn’t ever going to happen. Every DAW has it’s quirks, but regardless of the problem, the mix will be there for you to tweak once the wait is over. As far as “killing” creativity, the DAW has no bearing on the guitar in your hands, or the piano in front of you. No reason to stop writing due to a slight wait for a plug-in rescan. In many cases I already have CB running minimized long before I start a session, and while it sounds like you already have your mind made up, every DAW has it’s own set of issues. Sounds like some hardware specific issues in the OP’s case due to all the blue screening and the like. Back when we had nothing but analogue you would be firing up the entire studio and here we are whining about a software program taking a bit more time to boot up… Just sort of funny… There will never be nothing to complain about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so that I can remake them in a different DAW, and when I am done, I am going to sell Cubase, I have wasted too much of my life with this flower program.

You mean, imposing your own absolute horribly devastating situation on another fellow human being?

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do… good book morals at its best!

Let me suggest a sarcastic alternative for you:
41KzsRwtMAL__AA160_.jpg

1 Like

Maybe, for your creativities sake, you should use a simpler program as a goto for your basic idea sketchpad. Then bring it into Cubase 7.5 for fine tuning.
But also think this. As this type of post appears only once every year or so (and may also attract the odd “+1 me too, I’ve had it since 1863 and so did grandpa.”) maybe the way your rig is set up might need a good looking at even if it is top notch and custom built. Even custom builds have had their problems (even some of mine). Solutions are surprisingly close sometimes. Infuriating too, though.

Have you ever posted anything in the Issues section of the forum?
Selling Cubase? Hm. :unamused: See you next year. :mrgreen:

You mean, imposing your own absolute horribly devastating situation on another fellow human being?

:mrgreen: A guys got to make a profit and cheer himself up somehow.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not just the scanning plugins taking forever though…

It’s opening older projects to find the windows all over the place and the mixer settings all wrong

It’s having to constantly reassign inputs outputs and especially external plugin settings because no presets

It’s putting up with “workarounds” instead of an elegant solution provided by the programmer

it’s the focus on new features and vstis instead of fixing basic simple stuff, like no bounce in place

It’s the MIXER being introduced and slowing down workflow by making single clicks into double clicks and pause-open

It’s lots of little things that add up to slow me down and wear down my patience, and I have a lot, I was using Cubase in 1996!

But it’s over now, I can’t take any more, I have seen through Steinbergs game after all these years, they will never get it right because then no one will upgrade.

good luck to you if it’s working well for you though, but I think you are viewing things through rose tinted glasses.
7.5 is slower than 5.5 and 6.5

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not just the scanning plugins taking forever though…

It’s opening older projects to find the windows all over the place and the mixer settings all wrong

It’s having to constantly reassign inputs outputs and especially external plugin settings because no presets

It’s putting up with “workarounds” instead of an elegant solution provided by the programmer

it’s the focus on new features and vstis instead of fixing basic simple stuff, like no bounce in place

It’s the MIXER being introduced and slowing down workflow by making single clicks into double clicks and pause-open

It’s lots of little things that add up to slow me down and wear down my patience, and I have a lot, I was using Cubase in 1996!

But it’s over now, I can’t take any more, I have seen through Steinbergs game after all these years, they will never get it right because then no one will upgrade.

good luck to you if it’s working well for you though, but I think you are viewing things through rose tinted glasses.

1 Like

Saying it twice doesn’t make it more true.
You still have not given more information about your system.

I was a teacher and I know that fixation with the things you don’t like is a barrier to moving forward with your own development. Another DAW will give you different things to complain about and you will eventually build those faults into a deal breaker. For instance in Live you will be frustrated with the mixing and sound… Wait a minute I thought you were fed up with the Cubase mixer. I’m thinking frying pans and fire.

1 Like

Nice observation.

1 Like

What is stopping you using those? And will we see you saying the same things about Cubase 8?
And “creativity”? Large subject. Is that songs, sounds, production etc?
Being a bit retro I always found that the least creative environment was a full fledged do-it-all studio. Always needs setting up, routing, tape decks, calibrations, leads to plug in, soundchecks… etc. and a simple tape machine or digital recorder did the job of getting an idea off the ground much quicker while an engineer wrestled with all that gubbins. I don’t see much has changed. Just an absence of the tape and tape decks.
In any trade be it plastering, bricklaying, shipbuilding it’s the preparation of the machines to get you to the end game that is 90% of the job. The creativity is usually always scribbled on the back of the fag packet.
And it takes at least 5 years hard slog on an instrument to get to the stage where one can pick up the instrument and get that crucial idea down in two minutes.
Just trying to put a little perspective down so things don’t look as bad as they seem.
Everything has bugs. Strings break, batteries go flat and software can be damn hard to set up.

1 Like

Hi All

Was chatting with a mate the other day and we came up with the principle of, “It’s the person , not the platform” which seems somewhat appropriate here!!

Best Regards

Dave

1 Like

And you seem to have felt the strong need to let us all know about your decision and greatly earned wisdom… nice… :unamused:

Donning my rose tinted glasses and getting back to work. :laughing:

1 Like

What??? The earth doesn’t revolve around me or you or anyone else?

Doh!!!

How long hasn’t that been happening?

[Actually, I knew it all along. :ugeek: ]

+1

1 Like

Humble! I Love it.

The only acceptable way to be! :slight_smile:

1 Like

An observation on the real world. This is where, if something doesn’t work you send it back, sell it or find another door to hold open. You don’t tell anyone, especially a roomful of strangers. You just do it.

1 Like

Absolutely! Today, we do not have computers that are not robots with the capabilities of self-repair. Until we do, one has to concede to the fact that it is only a machine, albeit complex. This means a certain amount of common sense and attention has to be given in order to maximize the ability and availability to use it. In the same way, one also has to minimize the risks surrounding any particular machine. A computer has many of these, since it is versatile. The more involved (hardware, software, features, choices, settings, etc.), the more risk.

Like a motor vehicle, :wink: if you do not take care, you will soon be seen moving around, pretending with your two legs and using your mouth as the (audio) engine. All the while, that one person seem to always pick a better car…

1 Like

With all due respect: it doesn’t.

As an attempt to contribute to the question behind your question: You might want to have a closer look at your personal creative process. “Flow” is something that Comes with attitude and an ability to relax when “technical” Problems occur. You may compare it to sexual intercourse: To make it pleasant you must not think of failure, even when you have issues from time to time. Otherwise you are getting into a vicious circle that drags you deeper and deeper into Problems.

Cheers, Ernst

1 Like

Backfire = this thread :laughing:

1 Like

The least of my worries is waiting for plugins to load, because I’m usually getting the system started up before I’m ready to get busy, for some of my projects take good time to get thru the samples (Trilian, String Machine)

But man I can relate to the intrusion of technical faults (whatever they might be or by whomever’s causing) that just get in the way of trying to quickoly express an artistic or musical (however you look at it) idea.

When I start getting a muse, I speed up, and I want to go fast, I need to be at the speed of my brain as it has a limited window for expressing a sudden gush of inspiration. This is the out-of body experience that I love, it is the resaon why I do it.

So while I may disagree with the OP, but for the way he frames his topic, sans using “Cubase”, the overall message is that we don not really want anything to intrude or interrupt the process. That is very important to me. I don’t get multiple chances and infinite time to get it out, and the second time around is often compromised, as you’ve just moved on to a whole 'nother section of the brain then, trying to replicate an original thought.

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like