Cubase iC Pro official video tutorial

Must you create a separate network to use Cubase IC PRo? What if I already have an established network and just want to use IC Pro across it instead of having to switch out of my existing into a specially created one for this app. Sorry if I’m missing something here but wanted to ask before buying.

Thanks!

Hm, complicated answer. You do need to install Bonjour and then install the Ski software. Then you need to create a network for the ipad to connect to on the main computer. If you don’t create the network then the iPad won’t find the main computer. It’s like a sub internet.

You can keep your internet connection and do this or do the ad hoc network connection that disables the internet connection. I prefer disabling the internet when I record, of course, but I have to say that this is the hardest connection to make. Its a Win7 issue in part, one that fights you for the connection. Typically, to make connection using the ad hoc network I have to run the Win7 Home network diagnostic after I have the ipad recognizing the network, and yet still trying to communicate with Cubase. It is a mind numbing event for the most part because there is no way around this diagnostic fix that I can see. The KEY IS: When the ipad is trying to connect, pull down your device window from Cubase and see if the iC Pro is in the device window of the the Ski device box. Funny thing here is, it wont show up UNTIL you make connection - but then you don’t need to see it!! So drop this box down to see where you are at basically. It may mean - not seeing the iC Pro listed - that you are sitting there without a clue waiting for something that will never happen. Which means you need to check all your network settings in the iPad and maybe the Daw again. (Once things are working, you will see it listed in the box, of course.)

Here’s the order of turn on, BTW: Turn on Cubase > Connect your DAW to the iPad network via your wireless connections icon > Direct your iPad to the iPad network in its Setting icon > Click on the iC Pro icon > Run the ‘Home network’ diagnostic tool.

…and then wait. IF you have your internet connection network on ‘Automatic’ just remember that as soon as the iPad connection is lost it will reconnect to your internet connection if you have your iPad connecting to your wi-fi. So here you might be looking at your iPad Settings icon dropdown window to see if it has jumped ship back to the internet connection, as well. (The same is true for your DAW.) Gee, its a tap dance to get everything going. If only there were a way to switch Win7 to the Home network that I set the ad hoc network up in without running the Home network diagnostic tool!! You’ll see, haha!

But then after a few minutes, maybe 5, everything finds everything and it all works. Just remember it’s not as easy as that video would have you think. AND IF IT IS, THE STEINBERG NEEDS TO MAKE A BETTER VIDEO TO SHOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO GET THERE DEVICES CONNECTED. Ha! But eventually they will get this sorted out and it could become easier. I hope. Good luck and I hope what I have written has made sense to you. :sunglasses:

A follow up here. I have looked all over the internet and not found one explanation as to why the new Home Group I have established just for my DAW and my iPad, will not automatically install itself. It wont switch over to the new network automatically, in other words.

It seems to be a Win7 thing and probably something to do with the firewall settings. I will call MS tomorrow or the next day to see if they can help. But for now, if I want to use the new ‘Home Group’ I created and one that is disconnected from the internet (the automatically created ‘Home Group Network’ that Win7 sets up for internet connection), I have to run the Win7 diagnostic network tool. I can get the DAW to find the iPad, and I can get the iPad on the ad hoc network that is shared by the DAW, but to complete the connection - to have the Cubase software connect to the iPad, I need to run the Network Diagnostic Tool to have the original Home Network switched to the NEW Home Network. Its lame and takes about 3 minutes now to get everything connected but it does connect finally.

So the problem is that I am switching from one Home Network to another Home Network and for some reason Win7 does not like this.

The funny thing is, when I first tried running the iC Pro app, I just installed it on my original Home Network - the one connected to the internet - and everything worked fine without running the Network Diagnostic tool. Um, but then you are connected to the internet while you are recording - not good. So I took Steinberg’s advice and created the ad hoc network for my iPad and then created a new Home Network (that was disconnected from the internet) and here I am. I agree that the ad hoc network is the best way and that you should be disconnected from the internet, I just wish it was an easier connection.

Just a follow up. After talking with MS, we have decided that my process is typical and that the ‘home network troubleshooter’ needs to be run if I am to connect to the ad hoc network that I set up for my DAW. I use Win7 Home Premium and it seems that if I purchased the ‘Pro’ version I might fare a little better but perhaps only because the Pro version gives me an opportunity to rename the network that makes connection to the local devices. But they weren’t real sure about that, just a possibility. :laughing:

It seems that if I had a couple of Win7 computers I was networking to then things would be different, but because I am using an iPad, an iPhone, and a Win7 DAW I will always have this step to perform.

So to those of you that have followed my steps and are having problems I don’t know what to add. It can be done. Also note: I did setup the ad hoc network and named it ‘iPad Cubase6’, so this will show up under my list of connections. After opening Cubase and then minimizing it, I open my taskbar wireless connection list, disconnect from my internet provider connection, and then connect to this, iPad Cubase6, my local ad hoc network. Then I do the same on the iPad.

The network that windows displays (once the connection is made) is called ‘Unidentified Network’ and has an icon that looks like a computer screen. (BTW, the reason MS has set things up to display an ‘Unidentified Network’ is for your protection, I’m told.) In the fine print to the right of the connection icon, you can see that the iPad Cubase6 ad hoc network is listed and if you click on ‘device map’, while the two devices are connected,you will see my DAW and the iPad sharing a connection. The DAW and the iPad are also listed in the ‘Manage Wireless Networks’ window even when the two devices are not connected.

There is also a way to setup using a password when joining the network, probably a good idea.

I do not understand why you are fighting with an ”ad-hoc” network and “home group” at all.

The problem with SKI and IC Pro must be somewhere else (My guess is that Steinberg has chosen a technical solution that is not good enough on Windows. I.e. the product is not suited to be sold for Windows users)!

I have both OS X Lion and Windows 8 running on the same PC (a “Hackintosh”).
If boot into OS X, IC Pro has no problem at all to connect and control Cubase (note, this computer is connected to the router via Ethernet).
If I boot into Windows 8 (the same computer) It is more or less impossible to connect with IC Pro to Cubase. The same computer, same hardware, same router, same Ethernet, same IP, same network, same Cubase version (7.02), same SKI version etc etc! I have disabled the firewall, changed to WEP, tried both Bonjour via iTunes and the manually installed version but no prevail (except some rare, limited connections).

I think that Steinberg should choose another solution than Bonjour for Windows. It is not fit for the task (and if not, I would like to be refunded. NOT because it is a lot of money but I am tired of being a unpaid (paying) beta tester). 2 working days+ spent on this crappy software.

I think I need to clear my part in this post up. I downloaded the new app and the new SKI remote, the ones available as of 3/1/13.

Things are working well here but there is a turn-on process that I have to obey if I want things to go smoothly. I find that if I have only one device I want to connect, say my iPad, I can automatically connect to my DAW - if Cubase is running - by turning on my iC Pro app. HOWEVER - i have found that this is not always the best way to assure connection, and definitely not the best way to assure connection if two or more devices are going to be used. So I do not connect in this order any more. Instead I ALWAYS turn the app on my devices first, and then turn on Cubase. When I do things in this order I can connect to my devices every time without fail.

I realize some folks are still having problems connecting with the app. I am starting to wonder if it is because these folks already have the other free Cubase iC app on their device. :question: I can’t get a solid answer from anyone about this but it is very simple to remove an app from an iPad or iPhone so eventually they’ll get back to me on this. It’s just a theory but since I am not having problems connecting - and since I don’t have any other DAW control apps on my devices - I think it could be a factor.

Alright, that’s almost my whole story, just one more thing. In a perfect world, I would like to be able to run on the private ad hoc network that is available in Win7, and the one that Steinberg suggests in their video. Why? Because I don’t really want to have my DAW running on my PC while it is on line. And I can connect to this private network but to do this I have to run the Win7 network diagnostic connection tool which is another step. This is the area that I think needs to be addressed by Steinberg and I think that eventually they will. But for now, my DAW runs fine while it is connected to the network and the iC Pro connection is very easy to make. Eh, call me lazy but after spending so much time on this app, I just want to forget about perfection and get on with things. :slight_smile:

I also downloaded C7 as a trial and found myself wondering what would happen if I opened both C6.5 and C7 on my PC - not at the same time, but keeping one in the tray while I opened the other and vice versa. What’s cool is, having opened C6.5 first and then the iC Pro app in my iPad and then C7, connecting and then disconnecting, I saw two instances of ‘Cubase and my computer name’ show up in the iC Pro connection box, one of them with the number ‘2’ behind it. And then, as I opened either instance of Cubase, I found I could disconnect from one, choose the other connection, and then connect to the other version. Each version of Cubase, in other words, created its own connection different from the other version.

So, I’m thinking the use of this is NOT going to come up very often as a tool in the home studio, but I point it out because I think it shows some sophistication with the app that I didn’t know existed. :astonished:

Steinberg has released a new Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver version 1.7.3 for Windows. The free update fixes a previous problem which led to noise occurring during audio playback with the WDM.

Wha? I don’t need a USB driver to connect my iPad or iPhone to my DAW.

Also, reading my other posts, I forgot to update my info. I DO NOT use an ad hoc network any longer. It was too much trouble connecting things. So, since my DAW is has a wifi connection, I simply use it. I have all programs setup to NOT update - and not connect automatically to anything - and this seems to work fine for me. True, while I record my computer is technically ‘on line’ but it is not actually on line, just on the home network. Which is where the SKI remote and iC Pro finds my DAW. It works great.

Steinberg should really amend their set-up information for the Mac in the video. This only pertains to Macs with built in Wi-Fi cards.

If you already have a wireless network, which I suppose that the vast majority of Mac users with a Mac and an IPad has, forget any ad-hock networks.

1. Launch Cubase
  2. Launch IC pro and select your computer when prompted. (The next time you launch IC Pro, this will happen automatcally.)
  3. Start controlling Cubase.

It’s as easy as that. All this talk of setting up ad-hoc networks only serve to confuse matters, for the majority of Mac Users.

Hey Mr. Roos - thanks for your incredible hard work in documenting how you are doing with this app!

Dumb question here - what is the best way to do that - “have all programs setup to NOT update - and not connect automatically to anything” ?

I mean, I can think of maybe turning Microsoft updates off, but how do you know which of programs AA through ZZ in the computer will update on the sly and mess things up?

Thanks!

Thanks -

(wanted to bump this up … getting my new rig in a week or two, coming from XP … would like to see about using iC Pro, but (not being very good at this sort of thing), just want to give myself the best fighting chance I can to make it work -

Thanks!

Hi all.

Allow me to step in here to clear up a little bit :wink:

The video is more about the functionality of the app itself then the connection. We use ad hoc only as an example.

Thank you mr.roos for your extensive report. It shows how hard troubleshooting a network based service can be. Whole books have been written about this (network service troubleshooting), so please understand that we can not help everyone with connectivity issues.

Some more points:

• No ad hoc network is required. We suggest this in the video because it is the most simple form of network and to get all other network factors out of the equation.
    But in general you should be OK to use an existing wifi network. As stated abovet: every network is different, it is literally impossible to factor everything in a tutorial. Its not in our hands, we can not know your networks, simple as that.

• The USB driver quoted above has nothing to do with Cubase IC pro.

• Bonjour is not required if you use ip addresses instead. Bonjour will enable automatic discovery.
    Here is how to find out your IP address:
    Find your IP address in Windows - Microsoft Support

Please discuss the app related content of the tutorial for the rest of the topic.
If anyone has connection issues please open a new topic and work with article first:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-ic-pro-troubleshooting

What about a tutorial for ANDROID and WINDOWS (Vista/7/8)?

+1 - might buy it if it looked easy to install on my Android phone on Windows 7 DAW.

Brief follow up here. As to turning off all the automatic updating, this is sometimes a program by program process. In Win7, opening the Control Panel will get you started. You have to find every installed program like Flash Player and QuickTime, etc., either on this Control Panel window or via the open program itself - it depends what program it is - find the Advanced tab in the Program window and select ‘Never Update’. This can be difficult with some programs. The KEY here is finding these programs that install with automatic update preselected (every one of them it seems) and unselecting this feature as you install it. But this will only go so far because you will update this manually sometimes and you may forget. Be diligent

Another program to install that can help with this is ‘CCleaner’. It offers a look at the Task Bar that allows you to delete many automatic settings that you may not even know exist. In fact, as with XP, the goal is to keep the Task Bar clear if possible. In Win7 on my computer I show on my Task Bar my Internet connection icon - either ‘on’ or ‘off’ depending what it is, a ‘speaker’ icon that tells me whether my sound device is on/off, a USB icon that allows me to disconnect something I have plugged in (although I rarely use it), and my Mackie mixer icon to show me whether my mixer is on/off. That’s it, nothing else.

Another thing to be on guard is the motherboard software itself sometimes, and MS that may want to send info out to the company. This can’t happen.

Well, I’m sure in XP you have learned plenty about turning off updating features. Just keep on it.

OH, one last note. Recently I updated my wireless router, the one that attaches to my modem and sends the signal throughout the house. I bought this Netgear unit that has two antennas built in (not visible) and some built in memory to help with streaming movies. It was around $100 and is new technology to me. Anyway, it has SPED UP my wireless control within Cubase. Before, my process was rather lagging (the control features in the iCPro app, Start/Stop, Metronome On, etc.) but now things are very fast, as close to real time as they may get, actually. This surprised the shite out of me, I just thought it was a sluggish program. Turns out it was my wireless speed.

To explain further, there is a website called ‘speedtest.net’. Google this and it will come up. There are three numbers this test will give you, the Ping, the Download Speed, and the Upload Speed. Of these three numbers, it was the Download Speed that made the difference. I’m on a 15Mps line, yet my old base station could only deliver 5-7Mps. My now unit can deliver 13+Mps. The change to the iCPro app is dramatic!! So I guess the message here is don’t overlook the router, buy a good one. (The router I purchased, for the record, is the NETGEAR ‘R6250 Smart WiFi Router’.)

I am having connection problems with Cubase iC and iC Pro. I use Mac OSX 10.8.5, iOS8 iPad and iOS7 iPhone.

I have Steinberg SKI installed and running on Cubase.

I have created an adhoc to connect the devices to the mac OSX. The Cubase iC Pro recognizes Cubase @ localhost but when i click just a spinning wheel appears and then disappers, nothing else happens and it returns to the Select Your Computer screen. Also in Cubase Device Setup Steinberg​ SKI Remote menu there is no device listed.

If I run the Cubase iC, then i see my device listed in Cubase Device Setup Steinberg SKI Remote menu written in grey and Connected is unboxed. So when i use the iC Cubase recognizes the mobile device. But this time the mobile device doesn’t recognize the cubase and there is no host to select. So using both iC and iC pro I’m having one of the device doesn’t recognize the other and cannot connect.

I had problems at first but after following the adhoc ipv4 tutorial it gained the IP automatically.

Can’t you just create the ad-hoc network for the sake of using IC?

I see this is an old thread, but I just purchased ic pro and I can’t seem to get anything going whatsoever.

I’m using windows 10, but I can’t even get to where I can create another network to connect to from my iPad.

Any threads that address this, or does anyone have a solution?

Thanks