One little feature question regarding 7.5.20

In the “Version History” pdf it is stated that:
“The main Control Room section can now be displayed together with the metering section.”

I interpret this as that the Control Room tab and the Meter tab can be viewed side by side. I am at a loss, however, how this is accomplished. I can’t find any further information about the subject. Neither in the “Version History” pdf, nor in the new “New Features” pdf.

A bit of help would be appreciated.

This is so cool. Click the Meter tab, there’s a little button in the top right labeled “CR”

Many thanks SteveInChicago. Steinbergs has one again, unfortunately, managed to wreak a great idea with an ill conceived implementation.

I was hoping that it would allow viewing of the Control Room tab and the Meter tab side by side, which would have been great.

Steinbergs way of implementing it by showing half the Control Room tab and half the Mixer tab, is definitely a half measure. It’s pretty useless as it defeats the whole point of the feature; not having to constantly switch between the tabs.

I was hoping to be able to have the Control Room tab and the Loudness meter viewable simultaneously. Half the Control Room tab is of little use since you can’t access important parts like the Cue sends and Monitors. The metering section is even worse. The only part of the meter that is shown, is the least important; the bargraph.

With Loudness monitoring it’s the hidden parts of the meter that are really important. You can lose the bargraph all together. As a matter of fact, that there are third-party loudness meters that omits the bargraph, because it’s of little importance.

So having a panel with half the Control Room is of little use. Then showing the unimportant part of the meter, while hiding the important parts, makes it totally useless. Sorry Steinberg, but it’s back to the drawing-board with this one. This time you really shot yourselves in the foot (to make a direct translation of a common Swedish expression).

Well, I like the current implementaion. When mixing I can see the meter now instead of the mixingwise useless cue sends. But I’ll repeat that over and over again: I’d be an absolute fan of options! I.e. the option to have CR + meter side by side :wink: - which in my case wouldn’t be used, got the mixer on 22" and simply not enough space for all of that.

What about using the 2nd or 3rd mixer and make it display CR or metering only?

ok, here´s another one…

I would like to see Track Visibility side by side with the Inspector (!)

:exclamation:

… and another one: I’d like to have real keycommands for show/hide channel selector + cr/meter, not just a command for the window layout dialogue…

"I was hoping that it would allow viewing of the Control Room tab and the Meter tab side by side, which would have been great.

Steinbergs way of implementing it by showing half the Control Room tab and half the Mixer tab, is definitely a half measure. It’s pretty useless as it defeats the whole point of the feature; not having to constantly switch between the tabs

You can add a dedicated (extra) controlroom in VST connections (F4)

Delta

yes, this is a solution.
And here are three kind of mixers whit in cubase: you can hide track view e.g., so that you can see only the control room.

I¨m afraid you’re wrong. What your arrow is pointing at the the Control Room Activation button. Deactivate it and your have no Control Room at all. It does not give you an extra Control Room.

Of cause you can activate a second mixer, if you care to have your screens littered with mixers. I don’t. Then it’s a much better idea to invest in a third-party meter, or use Steinbergs free SLM128 plug-in.

What was pointing at was that showing the wrong part of the loudness meter, makes it useless. Anyone who thinks that the numbers beneath the bargraph are unimportant haven’t got the faintest notion what loudness metering is about.

Those who continue to rely on peak metering, and squashing their mixes in the belief that they sound better (louder) are setting themselves up for bitter disappointment. The entire broadcast industry and most of radio and Internet streaming outlets have adopted the EBU R128 Standards (EUR) and the ATSC A185 Standard (US).

While Peak metering measures peaks (as the name suggests), Loudness metering measures loudness over time. This means that the bargraph is of little consequence. What is important are the LU/LUFS values and True Peak values that are hidden in Steinbergs implementation of the combined Control Room/Metering view. That is what renders Steinbergs implementation useless!

Totally dig this!

Maybe delta was referring to adding another Control Room under the “devices” menu.
That’s what I do.
No need to have additional mixers. The independent CR is completely sizable -leave you mixer meters intact.

Hugh

Yes, but click on the e-button instead… you then got an extra Control Room in a separate window.

Svenne » 09 Apr 2014 23:54
delta wrote:You can add a dedicated (extra) controlroom in VST connections (F4)

I¨m afraid you’re wrong. What your arrow is pointing at the the Control Room Activation button. Deactivate it and your have no Control Room at all. It does not give you an extra Control Room.

See attach

Delta

Why didn’t you point the arrow at the e-button then?

Anyway, that’s beside the point. I’ve never denied that it is possible to show multiple Control Room/Mixer Panels in extra Mixer windows and/or free-floating windows. This discussion is about Steinbergs implementation of the combined CR/Meter view.

That there are workarounds does not negate the fact that Steinberg screwed up the implementation of this particular feature!

This isn’t the first time Steinbergs developers/programmers has rendered great features unusable by screwing up the implementation, neither. Steinbergs development department would do good to talk to engineers and musicians (i.e. the people who are supposed to use their products in the real world) before implementing new features. I believe it’s called market research, and is used by most manufactures outside software development.

The people developing the app are neither using it professionally nor listening to the users or understanding what they’re asking for.

No surprise here.

The people developing the app are neither using it professionally nor listening to the users or understanding what they’re asking for.

So apply for a job darling. You’re obviously a candidate. Tell them how to do it properly. :mrgreen:
They do have a jobs section on the main site. You go fix Cubase for us poor amateurs who can’t stop Cubase from working. :mrgreen:

I’m not sure that this is completely accurate. There are instances when they do listen. People have been nagging, from day one of the release of CB 7.0, about the option to delete an entry from the “Recent Files” in the the Steinberg Hub. Now, more than a year later, we’ve finally got it!

So, there are occasions when they do listen. But when they do, they take a long, long, long, long, long time to react. :wink:

In a way, your correct. If Steinberg were to put together an advisory panel of people actually using their products, in the real world, and consulted this panel during the design state, something amazing might happen. All the great ideas that the programmers and designers come up with, might actually be usable in the real world. Wouldn’t that be a revolutionary concept?

At least in software development. Other branches has done it for more than a century!

So. We’re all businessmen. You write to Steinberg management suggesting the idea and see if they’re interested. They certainly won’t make any business decisions based on any posts I see here though. They will need a plan and strategy of course plus an idea of the budget involved.
Oh, no. A horrible thought just descended. They don’t actually know how to do programming for music applications!? Horror! And certainly Steinberg’s programmers have never been out of the bedroom for decades! They don’t even listen to music! Cubase is a software design program to make pancakes! Stupid me! :laughing:

Are we? If I were to ignore my customers and adopt an “I don’t-care-what-you-want,-I-know-best” attitude, I guarantee you that any repeat business would dry up in no time. And any new business aswell, as soon as word gets around.

“They certainly won’t make any business decisions based on any posts I see here though”
Well, they ignore the views expressed by their customers (those that keep the company alive) here at their own peril.