Cubase 7.5 and sending MIDI Program Changes

The Nord seems to ignore the MSB and use the LSB…
whe I put Learn MIDI on the patch change message i got something like this:

Msb = 0 Lsb = 1 Pgm 002

to get to Bank B Patch 2

OK, that’s the other way round then.

In which case, the MSB is 0 and LSB is 2, then the combined number is just 0+2 = 2.

yes…thought so… but that is the bit that does seem to not work!

My SetListMaker app on the iPad will send and change the Nord (as it splits MSB, LSB and PRGM up) but Cubase does not (using the Bank Select on the Inspector)

Have you tried explicitly entering the Bank Select messages, using the list editor, on a MIDI track outputting to your Nord ?

Insert CC0 = 0
CC32 = 2
PGMCHG = 4 (say)

Play the MIDI track and see if the Nord changes Bank and Program.

If it does then you know three things:-

1. The Nord is responding to Bank Select messages;
  2. Cubase is outputting the Bank Select messages;
  3. You have the right numbers to use.

If that all works and the inspector method doesn’t then you might have stumbled across an issue with the inspector which might need SB support.

Will try that out later and report back :slight_smile:

I wil try to add these CCs in the Quick Controls (Inspector) too

Thanks

I’ve created a MIDI file for you to test the Bank Select messages. You can get it from here:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42198640/Bank%20Select%20Test.mid

Import the file into Cubase, check that the inspector is showing the track outputting to your Nord and then hit play.

If the Nord is responding to Bank Select messages (and they are what you said above) then you should hear a scale being played on different instruments in different banks one after the other.

OK excellent!
Thanks
Guy

Ok TESTED NOW

1. Your imported MID file works perfectly and the 3 Bank / Patches are selected successfully (thanks)
    So MIDI P/Change IS being sent and received on the NORD however…

2. Putting the CC0 and CC32 into Quick Controls does nothing unless I have to do something to activate this function?

3. Adding a 0, 1, 2 or 3 into the left hand Inspector Bank Select Input Box with a PrgNumber of 10 in the right hand box does nothing either

OK we’ve made progress.

Let’s deal with the Quick Controls first. The MIDI protocol says that the Bank Select commands must precede the PgmChg command. Perhaps this means “immediately” precedes.

So, using Quick Controls, send a Bank Select message. Easiest way is to change the value. Then immediately change the PgmChg value. This should force Cubase to send the changed Bank Select Message followed by the changed PgmChg value.

Does the Nord respond?

Not sure how you want me to do that…go through it step by step …“for Dummies” please!

ah! Let’s try something else then.

Set up your Bank Select and PgmChg in the inspector for your MIDI track. Maybe Bank 2 Patch 10 - doesn’t matter.

(NB Your MIDI Output will say “Nord” rather than “MicrosoftG…”)

Save the Cubase project.

Close the Cubase project.

Change the patch on the Nord to a different bank and patch.

Reload the project you just closed.

Does the Nord change Bank and Patch to what you have in the inspector?

No it does not change

is the base receive channel on the Nord the same as the transmit channel
in the inspector??? [Just above the Bank/Prog Chng boxes]

Did you select the correct Midi Output [mapping the track to the Nord]
[The dropdown box under the “All Midi Inputs” box

When you make those changes, can you see the MIDI monitor active?

s the base receive channel on the Nord the same as the transmit channel
in the inspector??? [Just above the Bank/Prog Chng boxes] Yes Tx on 5 Rx on 5 (as in Jenks Example)

Did you select the correct Midi Output [mapping the track to the Nord]
[The dropdown box under the “All Midi Inputs” box

Yes it it going to the Nord…

…it is the same project as Jenks’ IMPORTED MIDI file which works fine and makes the NORD change Bank & Patch on CH 5

Obviously I have muted that imported track for these subsequent tests lest it interfere

“When you make those changes, can you see the MIDI monitor active?”
No

Seems the CC controller messages in your MIDI import are fine but the Bank Select seems to do nothing…wonder if it is somehow turned off?

Yes, that is odd. When I do the same thing here, I can see the MIDI monitor active as I change the Bank Select numbers.

OK there’s something else we can try but first confirm that there is no MIDI filtering going on by checking the MIDI port filter in the preferences:-

Yes I will do - probably tomorrow a.m. now, but would that not stop your .MID file from working too?

Yes it would! I’m a bit mystified!

OK No MIDI Filters have been applied