Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

Yup that’s the one, nice job on putting that together.

Project window and Editors Zoom

• Ctrl + mouse scroll-wheel up/down in the Project window = Zoom In/Out

Project window and Editors Locators

• Alt (Ctrl on Windows) + click to the Time ruler = Set Left locator to this position
  • Cmd (Alt on Windows) + click to the Time ruler = Set Right locator to this position

Project window: Status Line

• Click to “Record Time Max” = Record Time Max window opens
  • Click to “Record Format” = Project Setup Window opens (same for “Project Frame Rate” and “Project Pan Law”)

Transport panel

• Alt + click to the L in the Transport panel = Set Left Locator to the Cursor position
  • Alt + click to the R in the Transport panel = Set Right Locator to the Cursor position
  • Alt + click to the “Use Pre-roll” enabled both, “Use Pre-roll” and “Use Post-roll” at once (same for Alt + Click to the “Use Post-roll”)
  • Ctrl + click to the “CLICK” = open Metronome Setup window
  • Ctrl + click to the “TEMPO” = open Tempo Track Editor
  • Ctrl + click to the “SYNC” = open Project Synchronization Setup window
  • Alt + click to the Marker number = Insert Marker number at the Cursor position
  • Click to the Audio Activity - Inputs meters = Default Input Channel is selected in the MixConsole
  • Click to the Audio Activity - Outputs meters = Default Output Channel is selected in the MixConsole

Reset value

• Ctrl + click to the value (or slider) = jumps to the default value

Chord Track Editor

• Add few Chord Track events (X). Double-click (or press Enter) to open the 1st open. Set the Chord, keep the Chord Editor open. Use arrow-right = Chord editor of next chord appears (you don’t need to close and reopen it all the time).

Change color of the track

• Move your mouse cursor over the colored part of the track list. Any modifier + scroll-wheel = scrolls thru the colors of the track
  • Move your mouse cursor over the colored part of the track list. Alt + click = color palette appears
  • Move your mouse cursor over the colored part of the track Track Name tab of the Inspector. Any modifier + scroll-wheel = scrolls thru the colors of the track

Modifiers in KeyEditor

• Erase tool > Alt + click = Erase all notes behind (on the right side) the place, where you click, in the MIDI part.
  • Trim tool > Alt modifier = Trim from left (very useful for creating a guitar riffs)
  • Glue tool > Alt + click = Glue all notes on the right side of the pitch in the MIDI part to the one MIDI note.
  • Zoom tool > Alt + click = Zoom Out
  • Zoom tool > Ctrl + click = Undo Zoom
  • Line, Parabola… tools > Alt + click = creates only single note for every pitch (without the Alt, it creates every single note for every single grid frame).

Shortcuts in KeyEditor

• Alt (Ctrl on Windows) + Arrow-Left = Trim Start Left
  • Alt (Ctrl on Windows) + Arrow-Right = Trim Start Right
  • Ctrl + Arrow-Left = Move Left
  • Ctrl + Arrow-Right = Move Right
  • Cmd (Alt on Windows) + Arrow-Left = Trim End Left
  • Cmd (Alt on Windows) + Arrow-Right = Trim End Right

If you press and hold ALT and click on the panner in the inspector or mixer it opens up a big window.

This only works on stereo audio and stereo group and FX tracks and not mono :frowning:

Can we have this applicable on midi & instrument tracks instead of the verticle fader slider plz ?

That’s cool, didn’t realize that for me it works on mono tracks too. I am guessing you are referring to mono output though where panning wouldn’t be relevant anyway. Thanks for sharing. I am not completely sure what the lock does since the windows stay open regardless.

If you have multiple projects open at the same time

You can hit > ALT and TAB to toggle quickly through them :ugeek:

and also

while holding ALT and TAB in use the arrows to move up/down/L/R :mrgreen:

Any quick way to open up a VSTi without hitting F-11 and scrolling to the right one and then hitting the “e” there?

Thanks -

Yes, directly in the MIDI/Instrument track, click to the grey “keyboard” icon (looks more like fence to me). When the GUI of the Instrument is open, the icon is yellow.

Thank you Martin!

I should have specified though, I was looking to do this from the Mixer view, preferably with KCs!

Possible?

yes, Edit > Edit VST instrument under Keycommands.

Great, thanks! I’m sure it will be more clear when I’m at the DAW, right now I’m trying to think about how that would work in the Mixer window. Wondering if I need to first select the VSTi channel to apply that command?

you can select either the vsti or the midi channel that is routed to the vsti (while in the mixer or indeed in the arrange). firing off the KC then brings up the respective VSTi.

Thanks again!

no worries. it’s a super useful KC.

Alt + click to the “e” button (in the MixConsole) also opens the plug-in GUI.

[quote=“Paul Coyle”]Got a cool tip or macro to add to the list? Spotted an error or know a better way? Post it here and I’ll add it on as and when I can!

There are lots more juicy tips in this thread that haven’t been collated yet, or are a bit too general or complex to fit in this post. Have a wade through and see what nuggets you find.

Excellent thread. Thanks to all for the contributions.

Macro for selecting a range, splitting the audio and turning down the split audio a few dB. Nice if you’re non-destructively de-essing or just attenuating little spikes in your audio:

Edit - split range
Preferences - Editing - Auto Select Events under Cursor
Tool - Select Tool
Transport - To Left Locator
Audio - Decrement Event Volume
Audio - Crossfade
Preferences - Editing - Auto Select Events under Cursor

The steinberg pad controller came with my version of Cubase (the pad controller is now discontinued) and since its too small to use for finger drumming I use it solely for shortcuts and with 16 slots available I can zip around between mix console and piano roll as well as other time saving shortcuts with ease all with my left hand while never having to leave my mouse to use keyboard shortcuts. Huge time saver.

I agree with you!
hyperthymesiadorsalgiasubchorionichemorrhagehealth care tippoikilothermia

Also, just highlighting the track (in the MixConsole or the Arrange Window) and hitting the letter “V” opens the plug-in GUI as well.

(Also works by just highlighting the MIDI track that is assigned to the plug-in).

Thank you to whoever pointed this out to me a year ago or so!

Hi,

This is not default Key Command. Could you have a look to your Key Commands windows, what did you assign to?