What is going on with Cubase 7?

So what’s the state of affairs at this time?

You can always move to another PERFECT DAW that WORKS. “Have to buy again.” HAVE TO? Really? You’re NOT a fanboi slave. You must know the perfect DAW that works because you certainly know that this one doesn’t. I’m therefore in the dark as to what you’re comparing Cubase to. Maybe one that hasn’t strangled one’s wallet and FORCED one to upgrade to their obviously inferior product. :laughing:
Or maybe this is all a trap to cause arguments?
PS: To all who think this place is populated by fanboys. What did you expect? It IS the CUBASE forum. Not yours.
The playground seems littered with rather a lot of noisy prams and abandoned dummies at the moment. :laughing:

+1.

My next track is gonna be called Major Bugs.

Seems to me that if we pay full working money we should get a full working DAW at some stage in the 7 series, we all know they could fix the bugs if they wanted to.

Uuuuhmmm hello??? If I want it to be FIXED! I HAVE TO PAY. Thats the whole ordeal here! Cant you understand that??? I dont want new features, I only want that the MAJOR bugs are being fixed for a product I ALLREADY paid for??? Is that to much to ask??? And again we are talking about BIG bugs not small ones…

Well put!

Agreed. Selling broken software to people (by broken, I mean well-documented, outstanding issues) … then to advertise and sell ‘updates’ before the issues are resolved. Where is the logic? :confused:

Getting down to brass tacks: THEY can do whatever THEY want with their software. You don’t need to buy it. They have the right to release whatever app they want. Even call the bugs features…

We’re in this thread though, why? Because we care about this app. Why? Probably because we rely on it to express musical ideas.

Therefore, SB’s decision to operate like this, out of their negligence and/or calculated marketing, stymies it’s progress. The issues pile up and we’re left wondering why we can’t be liberated from these issues, when all we want for our $ is something that functions in a sensible working matter.

These are shady business practices, at best. It’s not just SB; many other DAWs seem to take this approach.

Mr Smith said…Agreed. Selling broken software to people (by broken, I mean well-documented, outstanding issues) … then to advertise and sell ‘updates’ before the issues are resolved. Where is the logic? :confused:

this is the logic of marketing strategy…we upgrade to get the 7 series bugs fixed (maybe) only to hit a load of 8 series bugs that will be fixed in the 9 series…I’m willing to stand corrected if the 8 series has no bugs!! :laughing:

Can they? I dont know, here in Europe and especially in the Netherlands we as customers have a lot of protection regarding shady tactics by companies. And since I bought this product in the Netherlands, Steinberg has to uphold the law in my country.

I seriously thought about suing steinberg. I personally think this is something they cant get away with. If others feel the same way, maybe we could do something together?

you speak sedition!!! how long before this thread disappears?

Or madness - can’t be serious.

Like everything in this world things started simply. Well at least for me and my Atari last century. Progressively the basic software has added functionality, processes and plugins. Computers were certainly had very little processing power in the early days and very little memory.

Look around you now and that has all changed. Computers now have immense power and enormous amounts of memory. The software is incredibly complex and most users only scratch the surface of all the things this software offers. Cubase has become a bit like a musical instrument in that you have to spend a reasonable amount of time leaning how to use it, how to organise your workflow and how to deal with the inevitable issues and problems that arise with in such a complicated and demanding environment.

It cannot have escaped everyone’s notice that we are going through the most intensive series of technological changes in living memory. As has been pointed out mobile phone and tablets have changed the landscape - certainly with regard to how users interact with technology. Why would Steinberg ignore these developments? I would imaging the coding upon which the current version of Cubase relies upon is now out of date and being able to cope with the future proofing of this product is putting an enormous strain upon the developers. I would like to be able to use Cubase well into the future.

I am too old to learn a new DAW. Actually I am not sure that there are many DAW’s out there that are perfect. I would assert that Cubase is the most readily functional of them all. I have been working with a friend using Logic and I cannot for the life of me work out why it is called Logic. I have not got money to throw away, so that rules out ProTools.

It seems to me that for many users the first scent of a problem and they are complaining on the forum rather than doing a little trouble-shooting into this problem and learning more about the software they rely upon. No one forces you to use Cubase in the same way that no one forces you to buy a guitar. All that can be realistically expected from the use of either is that we learn how to play/use it and rise above each of their individual foibles. I find it difficult to understand users who feel that this is all some underhand plot by Steinberg to exploit us for as much cash as they can. I just want Steinberg to survive.

Welp, take a look at it:

If you buy a car from the dealer, it may break a few times down the line. Cars are very complex mechanical devices and they have to work well together.

The car is as analogous to the hardware and software we’re discussing here. There’s a key difference, however:

This software is intrinsically flawed. It was sold to us that way.

It’s my understand that if a car manufacturer discover their product is intrinsically flawed, they will RECALL the offending cars.

Keeping with our analogy, if Steinberg were manufacturing the cars, they’d keep releasing models that build on the same chassis, adding a few features, whilst leaving many of the old ones, and even creating new ones. In this situation, I believe a lawsuit would be inevitable.

Software developers responsibility is a relatively new domain, so I don’t think this has ever happened before? But I definitely think depending on the laws in your country, you could win.

“When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you’re only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
― George R.R. Martin

I have a car, and I paid full price when I bought it. Now, I have to change the oil, replace the brake pads, fill it with gas, pay for insurance, and replace expensive parts when they wear out.

If I want features my car doesn’t have, I have to buy another and sell the one I have, or buy 3rd party products.

It’s somewhat analogous to buying Cubase and following the updates. You pay to keep it running. But one place where the analogy breaks down is here:

If you don’t pay SB, you stay exactly where you are and lose nothing. With a car, if you don’t pay to maintain it, it will stop working, and possibly start running people over.

There are indeed recalls, but only for safety issues, but there are design flaws, missing features and poorly engineered parts in there that don’t get recalled.

Also, In the EU you get 14 days to to return a product you buy online, so you can get a refund.

As long as the breaks works… I don’t care :confused:

Feature req. are a subjective matter.

This isn’t so much about features our app is lacking, as much as it’s about fixing outstanding problems before introducing new updates.

Cubase has design flaws and ‘missing features’, therefore, the software ought to be ‘recalled’. We’re in agreeance.

No, actually. Recalls are for safety issues.

That’s probably why they used these: “”

The point appears to be taking responsibility for a product that is sold advertising something it doesn’t live up to, particularly if getting that corrected requires spending more money.

What an absolutely useless unhelpful thread this is!

Please can all those who feel so aggreived by Cubase please migrate to Bitwig where I am certain they will find the true horror of Version 1 software! And leave the rest of us with our mature, stable product that so many of you claim is “broken”.

And yet here you are???

6 months ago I started using Cubase 7.5 after many 10+ years with Logic. I did so because I didn´t like the way Logic was heading, towards the consumer/weekend warrior crowd, so I decided between PTHD and Cubase and finally settled for Cubase(Not for financial reasons, just for the functionality). It is a fantastic software and it´s not “broken” by any means. I really feel I got what I paid for, and more. Stable, complex and responsive(compared to Logic anyway).

Sure there are things I consider as flaws, both major and minor ones, but overall, it´s the most usable DAW out there for me as a hybrid hardware/software type of guy