MIDI events as shortcuts

Post general topics related to Cubase 7, Cubase Artist 7 and Cubase Elements 7 here.

MIDI events as shortcuts

Postby sasha-che » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Hello, is it possible to assign MIDI events to commands in Cubase?

What I'd like to do is, while doing a step entry in Piano Roll window, to move cursor forward without entering a note. It would be convenient to press a drum pad on my MIDI controller, for instance, sending a MIDI note (a low one, which isn't used anyway) which in interpreted as a command.

Actually I can do this anyway right now -- if I press this drum pad, it enters a note, and the cursor moves forward one step, but every time I press the pad there's a distracting off-key sound, and I'll have to erase those notes after every step entry. Maybe there's more ecological way to do this?
Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 8Gb | OSX Mavericks 10.9 | Cubase 7.5.20, 6.0.7, 5.5.3 | Logic 9.1.8 | Logic X | Halion Sonic 2 | HSO | WIVI Band
Yamaha P90 | AKAI EWI USB | AKAI MPK MINI
Godin Freeway SA | Yamaha SLG100NW | Ibanez AEG-10E
Line PODxt | Roland VG-8 | Roland GR-30
sasha-che

Re: MIDI events as shortcuts

Postby Elektrobolt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:36 am

sasha-che wrote:What I'd like to do is, while doing a step entry in Piano Roll window, to move cursor forward without entering a note.

The Left/Right Arrow keys on the computer keyboard can be used to navigate the Step Input cursor.
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Postby sasha-che » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:06 am

Elektrobolt wrote:
sasha-che wrote:What I'd like to do is, while doing a step entry in Piano Roll window, to move cursor forward without entering a note.

The Left/Right Arrow keys on the computer keyboard can be used to navigate the Step Input cursor.

Yes, I know that, but using MIDI controller instead of computer keyboard would be much more convenient.
Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 8Gb | OSX Mavericks 10.9 | Cubase 7.5.20, 6.0.7, 5.5.3 | Logic 9.1.8 | Logic X | Halion Sonic 2 | HSO | WIVI Band
Yamaha P90 | AKAI EWI USB | AKAI MPK MINI
Godin Freeway SA | Yamaha SLG100NW | Ibanez AEG-10E
Line PODxt | Roland VG-8 | Roland GR-30
sasha-che

Postby Elektrobolt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:01 am

Ok then, so you can create a Generic Remote (Device Setup in the Devices menu), assign some MIDI message to either a Macro that commands a Navigate/Right, or directly to the command Navigate/Right itself.
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."
Elektrobolt

Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Return to General