Still no VST plugin manager in Cubase 7

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 can be posted here.

Re: Still no VST plugin manager in Cubase 7

Postby Blackout » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 am

Helge Vogt wrote:Hi all,
like Marcus already pointed out, the Search function is a first step to ease plug-in inserting. However, we fully understand that this is no near a replacement for a serious plug-in management system and we will therefore implement one in a future Update. We aim to get in this in the 7.5 Update, though it is too early to judge if it will make it in time.

Cheers,
Helge

hi Helge, this is excellent, thank you for responding and clarifying. Your information has helped me to decide in giving you money for Cubase 7 upgrade.

Thanks again for coming forward!

Cheers
Blackout :)
Blackout

Postby Blackout » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 am

hkh wrote:
Xtigma. wrote:i'm a little confused as to why a plugin manager is such a requested feature? its perfectly manageable as it is right now. i move all my dll's into folders like this,

I even rename the plugin DLL's so its easier to view in the mixer
(if you rename your dll's you will have issue opening older projects.. but you can copy your DLL's into a sub folder called 'old' or similar

AWESOME! Never thought of that before!

all we are asking is that we are able to do this with VST3's. We know you can do this with vst2. this problem is holding the attraction of the whole vst3 plugin format back for customers, and therefore also for programmers, and this equals less vst3 implementation.

you have to understand that many musicians are very fastidious about cleanliness of their desk, cleanliness of their desktops and installations, and about their plugin lists. at the moment the vst3 plugin menus are a complete mess for me and theres nothing i can do about it. araraggghh!!!
Blackout

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:16 pm

yeah I agree 100% I didn't realise you meant vst3 plugins. we do need a manager then ;)

Postby hikarateboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Blackout wrote:you have to understand that many musicians are very fastidious about cleanliness of their desk, cleanliness of their desktops and installations, and about their plugin lists.

I know very few musicians who are fastidious about cleanliness of any kind, :lol: ha!
Cubase 7, Win7, AMD FX 6100 Black Edition, 16 gigs Ram, 2 graphics card, running 4 displays, RME Hamerfall 5296, 24 ch A/D I/O, CC121, Soundcraft TS12 console, tons more. Avatar taken in worlds record holder for quietest place on earth.
hikarateboy

Postby curteye » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 pm

hikarateboy wrote:
Blackout wrote:you have to understand that many musicians are very fastidious about cleanliness of their desk, cleanliness of their desktops and installations, and about their plugin lists.

I know very few musicians who are fastidious about cleanliness of any kind, :lol: ha!

ROTFLMAO!!

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Breaking in a Mac Pro. Will be on-line soon.

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby gollumsluvslave » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:43 pm

As someone thinking about upgrading to a stable Cubase 5 to 7, it's so disappointing to find that my most wanted feature is STILL not available.

As a developer myself I can't believe that some kind of plugin tagging system to allow users to organise their plugins as their workflow dictates is either
1. Too much to ask when people are spending large amounts of hard-earned money of the platform and the plugins
2. Particularly complicated from a development point of view; it's small fry compared to things like VariAudio etc.
3. Ridiculously overdue - having to either hex edit my plug or keep remembering that I won't find my Duende plugs in my dynamics path...from the creators of the VST standard as well... :shock:

FWIW, I do think that the design of VST3 by having plugins fixed install would have been a good thing if there was a universal tagging solution (and ideally this solution would be agnostic to whether the plugin was VST3 or VST2), as these aspects should be separate; how I access my plugins should NOT be a function of where it physically exists!

While being able to search is an improvement, it's still not good enough, and certainly not enough to get my to move to 7 with all of the changes to the mixer to factor in...
gollumsluvslave

Postby Blackout » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am

well said Goll.

i think Steinberg messed up when they buried the tagging/naming of VST3 plugins into the actual code of the .vst3 file, which is only accessable by the manufacturer. One manufacturer calls it a Dynamics plugin, one calls it a Compressor plugin, one calls it a Dynamic plugin, one calls it a Comp plugin, and they all end up in different plugin folders when we try and select them. regardless of what you name the actual file, the VST3 protocol reads the file header to get the name of the plugin, which is independant of what you have tried to rename the actual vst3 file. This is completely unlike VST2 behavior and the .dll plugins.

ARARAGHHHH@@@!!!

Give the power back to the users Steinberg!
Blackout

Postby Blackout » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 am

i do wish Steinberg had made the x64 bit version of vst plugins a different name. eg supressor.x64 or something like that.

all you have sitting in your vstplugins folder is a heap of .dll files and no way to tell if they are x86 or x64 bit.

at least you can tell if its a vst3 plugin but the end name. but for x64 bit its a total guessing game?

sometimes when you load the plugin such as The Glue it only shows "ver 1.24" and doesnt even express if it is the 32 or 64 bit ver.

such a nightmare hunting through your list of plugins to tell what is what...
Blackout

Postby Blackout » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Marcus wrote:Hi there,

we have integrated the "search"- function for VST Plug-Ins, which is a great compromise.
The search function will be a great improvement in your work-flow, especially for users with a huge amount of VST Plug-Ins.

But we will surely improve and expand the VST - Plug-In organization in Cubase 7.

Best regards,

Marcus

LIE!

where Marcus? we are at 7.5.20 now. Where is the plugin manager?

typical pfffttt
Blackout

Postby DLearyUS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 pm

I agree a plugin manager would be an excellent feature tho i generally use "Sort By Vendor" option....cleans up the list nicely if you have alot of plugs loaded and i find it easier to remeber a vendor name for the plug i want to use eg The Glue - Cytomic. I find I usually purchase more than one plug from a vendor so my list isnt huge eg Waves,Audio Damage,
etc

Cheers

ps keep up the good work steinberg :D
Cubase v7.5-64 / Win7-64 / Tascam FW-1884 / Lots Of Other Toys
DLearyUS

Postby Blackout » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:46 pm

it seems someone has finally done this in a 3rd party app for Logic / Mac...

"Auganizer, an Audio Unit management application for OSX lets you rename, reorder, arrange and organize Audio Unit plugins the way you want to. Yep, you read that right!"

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-b ... nizer.html

lets hope that they make an Auganizer for Cubase for PC soon. sick of waiting for Steinbergs broken promises on this one...
Blackout

Postby jose7822 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:09 am

That's pretty nice ^
ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Intel Core i7 4770K (OC'ed to 4GHz) | 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum (2400MHz) | ASUS ATI Radeon HD7790 | Corsair H100i Water Cooler | Corsair HX850 PSU | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 7.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
jose7822

Postby jb » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:05 pm

+1, can't we just go to vst4 ( or vst3.5) that behaves as vst2 for the users? Steinberg, it is obvious this is realy a big issue, why is it so difficult to fix? Please can somebody from Steinberg explain, so we can all understand what went wrong and why. Also the fix should preferebly be free and compatible with older versions of cubase I think, as it is actualy a big mistake do to things this way with vst3. some of your software are great ( :)) but why so "silent" on this kind of subjects?
Studio: Cubase 6.5.5 (& 7.5) 32 bits on Windows 7 64 bit.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... 64-bit.htm (tip).

Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/2x RME Digiface PCI
Intel Q6600 @2.40Ghz /Asus P5K/4gb/NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT/RME multiface PCI
Controllers:
Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000, 2x BCF 2000
jb

Previous

Return to Feature Requests and Suggestions