[new song] The Moment

very nice the intro reminds me of Clannad ,when you said you put the guitar through auto tune ,i thought yeh what a great idea ,you could just play anything and let auto tune straighten it up ,but i don`t think you meant that ,were you just trying to get a stereo fatter chorusee effect ? anyway nice melodic tune with some Bonham style beats.

Hi polgara…yeah just wanted to fatten the lead break up because it produces 2 tracks,one hi and one low obviously, it was Steinbergs pitch shift though…not auto tune.

cheers, Kevin

Nice - less is more & it really shows in the mix. “The ladies” sound a lot more realistic than anything I’ve ever got from Symphony of Voices.
No fancy techy comments from me - I like it. A lot.
Neil

Hi Neil and thanks for listening…“the ladies” is a nice piece of kit, with not a lot of tweaking it can sound very natural…Kevin

I had one of those evenings yesterday when I couldn’t get into mixing or composing, so I started running through all the posts in this forum. Must say, I like a lot of yours on soundcloud.
Nice voice. Kylie would turn for you :slight_smile:

Thanks Neil…not sure what you mean by “Kylie would turn for you”

it didnt mean any sexual favours ,although....... so you havnet been watching The Voice on BBC 1 . you`re Lucky Lucky Lucky

Afraid not…stopped watching X factor years ago also…but thanks for the compliment…thanks for your comment on Souncloud,sorry the avatars are a distraction but I’m gonna keep shooting them, tough job but someone’s gotta do it…Kevin

Hmm, I thought that the vocal melody at the beginning was from the ‘ladies’ library haha. I got woman, not boy. :smiley: the actual melody is nice though and has a catchy element to it. The next thing that has occurred to me is that the melodic structure of the verse melodies seem to be very similar with each track. I suspect that it may be the kind of intervals/rhythm of the notes that you end your phrases on that has brought it to my attention.

Staccato strings at 2:50 sound nice, though I’d have liked the parts to continue to develop with varied ideas and increasing gradually in dynamic until 3:30. Just a slight variation on the rhythm/notes, nothing alien to the style/original part of course.

Really good effort though, your mixes and writing are becoming more consistent and interesting the more you write. All practice and hard work. I didn’t like those boomy bass drum hits at the end though. The idea could work, but with a different, more ethnic kind of drum perhaps that has the right kind of attack/sound and a more natural occurring sense of ambience.

Always appreciate your comments Jonathan and always take note for future reference (especially in the string department
It’s interesting that using today’s amazing technology I am able to sound like a “women” would much rather use a real women to sing the part put none of the women I know can sing!!
working on a song now that involves a String section, Viola section and Cellos…gets pretty intense working out where the bits should be…

cheers, Kevin

Yeah, but if you had any of THOSE women from your soundcloud pages in the studio, would you get any work done??
:slight_smile:

Luckily those women only work in my photo studio otherwise your right…would never get any music done…

Love this tune, first the “Ladies” sound great got to look at that one… The whole mix is very warm and not to loud or digitally brittle as happens so often.

The low end is really fighting for space where the kick comes in at end, you really should tighten that up by either making space (use eq) with other instruments or run Kick through the proper eq/comp.

Your vocals are killing!!!
Kenny

Hi Kenny, thanks for the comments…will take a look at the kick drum thing…Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I like it, nice job!

The intro reminded of Kate Bush (which is good, I’m a big fan!).
Drums sound good and so do the "Ladies’. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Wim

Thank you very much for taking a listen and commenting…amazing that with digital technology I can sound like Kate Bush, if that’s what you meant… ( I’m also a big fan)

cheers, Kevin :slight_smile:

Another good one. :smiley: Like the production on this one. Drums seemed to get a little quieter when the vocal came in? Or am I imagining things?

Actually, overall it seemed a little quiet - I’ve got all my dials turned up here!

Good writing as usual!
:sunglasses:

I also like this one – good production. Are you saying the humming female is really you, but processed in some way? Interesting. One thing I do note is the vocal seems to have a bit of “dirt” in it, something I’ve noticed on yours before. However, this could well be an mp3 coding thing.

Hi sherz…drums do go a little quieter when the vox comes in, been usin automation a bit and will be using it a lot more in the future, regarding the lack of volume I still haven’t really got the hang of mastering yet…

cheers and hope you are recovering well…Kevin

Hi twilightsong, yes it is me doing the humming, the way it was done is explained at the top, I reckon the “dirt” just comes from my throat, there is no processing on the vox other than the SPL channel one (which doesn’t introduce dirt) and the Lexicon reverb…it’s MP3 on Soundcloud but on the Bandcamp site it’s a wav.

thank you for your comments…Kevin