7.5.20 Impressions...

Post general topics related to Cubase 7, Cubase Artist 7 and Cubase Elements 7 here.

Re: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Postby Tp3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:i don't know if it is (surely it must have been conceived before 4k?); whatever the case, it's definitely not ergonomical on my 2,560 x 1,440-pixel native resolution.

4K or UHD is 50% more pixels (4096x2160 in the case of 4K or 3840×2160 in the case of UHD).

That's a LOT more, and it must be a massive shift in perceptive (or so it seems to me).

lukasbrooklyn wrote: the thing is, i need to be able to read the inserts. and to be able to do that, the channels need to be extended horizontally so much so that they eat up too much screen real estate, and not many chan's fit in the mixer that way. someone just didn't put enough thought into it.

The things is (and was. and will be) that zoomable mixer (the phenomenon that you descried is one of its "merits") is just NO GO. it is a bad implementation in the sake of "we can do, so lets do it". not everything that is achievable and doable is also beneficial. and MixDebacle proves that notion very well.

lukasbrooklyn wrote:that's just one ill-executed implementation, of dozens. wish i got a cent for every 'load preset' dialog that loaded when i wanted to bring up a plugin's gui instead.

Same here.

AP wrote:Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion Mr. Troll

Please allow me to disregard this, kiddo. I've seen and dealt with way too many of your kind.
Thanks.

AP wrote:I really don't have any issues with Cubase but I like to visit this forum because it can be very entertaining

I agree with the latter.

With the former... if you don't have issues with Cubase, please sit this one out.

AP wrote:I'm an advanced Cubase user and Graduated Professional Audio Engineer. I've work in pro studios SSL/Protools and at home with Cubase 7.5 my Daw of choice.

Good for you (though u don't really want to know what I think about "Graduated Professional Audio Engineers" as I am one myself)

Anywayz, I do beatz in my grandma's kitchen for 15 years now and have no experience with other DAW whatsoever. I used Fruity Loops for 1 yearz (version 1 from 1997/1998) so I guess I has vintage gearz and I can be considered a "pro".
Tp3

Postby greggybud » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 pm

AP wrote:One of the biggest complaints on this topics is the mixer. It looks a lot like Logic, Protools and somewhat like S1. So all you trolls, if you don't like it though luck :lol:

I can think of many improvements need to the mixer, and most of them would improve workflow...some of them immensely. However I don't compare to PT, Logic, or S1. I consider Steinberg to be a leader. But the problem with cutting edge ideas/technology is more bugs/issues than the other DAW's.

So I guess count me as a "troll" since I'm definitely not a fan-boy who posts everything works great, often daily, in multiple posts, without any constructive solutions to seemingly real issues or potential bugs presented by other users.

Personally I would love to see something like the Reaper skin. But I grew up on real consoles. If that skin isn't size-able that would be a huge drawback so I can understand both sides. To answer a prior post, if UAD didn't make their GUI to look for example like a Manley Massive Passive, I doubt they would sell half as many licenses as they do.

I have been using Cubase since the 90's. Fortunately I'm not a "Graduated Professional Audio Engineer." But I would love to get that "Advanced Cubase User" plaque to post right next to the framed Hans Zimmer autograph. Greggybud is the same name since CubaseVST32 so where do I sign up? :mrgreen:
Windows 7x64, Wavelab 8.5, Cubase 8.0x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby Headlands » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm

JMCecil wrote:The funny part is that the interface wastes more space, and provides FAR less information. I don't loath the "look". I loath the functionality. I want to look at the mixer and see the information.

YES. You nailed it. Way too much clicking and fussing about to see all the things you could at the same time on the previous version's mix window. Clicking all of the time is not "pro" in any way, shape or form, especially since it doesn't need to be that way. It looks fine -- it's just not designed well in that way right now.

And - for the record - people like Tp3 are not trolls. They have an opinion. Someone is not a hater or troll if they simply disagree with your opinion. Period.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Re: Odp: 7.5.20 Impressions...

Postby serenity » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 am

lukasbrooklyn wrote:
Tp3 wrote:IMO , MixDebacle is geared towards 4K.

Plain and simple.

It clearly shows in the proportions, the space occupied by controls, etc.

The things is : its WAY too soon.

AP wrote:So all you trolls, if you don't like it though luck

Thank you, Dear.

I'm here since VST5/SX1 days (under different Alias). what about you ?...

AP wrote:One of the biggest complaints on this topics is the mixer. It looks a lot like Logic, Protools and somewhat like S1

No, it doesn't.

But hey, I'm troll anyway :twisted:

:)

i don't know if it is (surely it must have been conceived before 4k?); whatever the case, it's definitely not ergonomical on my 2,560 x 1,440-pixel native resolution. the thing is, i need to be able to read the inserts. and to be able to do that, the channels need to be extended horizontally so much so that they eat up too much screen real estate, and not many chan's fit in the mixer that way. someone just didn't put enough thought into it.

Exactly same here.
Pawel

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit / Cubase 8 Pro 64 Bit / RME Fireface 400
serenity

Postby fireinthefishtank » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am

AP wrote:
Tp3 wrote:IMO , MixDebacle is geared towards 4K.

Plain and simple.

It clearly shows in the proportions, the space occupied by controls, etc.

The things is : its WAY too soon.

AP wrote:So all you trolls, if you don't like it though luck

Thank you, Dear.

I'm here since VST5/SX1 days (under different Alias). what about you ?...

AP wrote:One of the biggest complaints on this topics is the mixer. It looks a lot like Logic, Protools and somewhat like S1

No, it doesn't.

But hey, I'm troll anyway :twisted:

:)

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion Mr. Troll. It maybe way too soon for you but it's right on time for a lot of us. Good for you that you're here since... This is my only membership. I really don't have any issues with Cubase but I like to visit this forum because it can be very entertaining :lol: I'm an advanced Cubase user and Graduated Professional Audio Engineer. I work in pro studios SSL/Protools and at home with Cubase 7.5 my Daw of choice.

What about you?

Yo Homie, ah remember you. You same class just next do'. ah graduated too. In fact ah gots diplomas on my own. Hamburger University an' Chris Loward Algea - Phat Beatz Seminar. Iz tight Bro. You remember me, Im da one wif da pony tail an' dem shiny shoes.

Mmmmm, yo' beats is tigtht. Jumpin off dat SSL ah remember. iz like, you tickle dem wif uh feather first an' then….you hit dem wif hammer yo. You turn ‘em in ta ear butter dawg.

Don’t listen ta dem trolls an' haters. dey don’t know tight beats. dey just busy learning Cubase an' pimpin they desktops.

Downloading screen savers o' naked ladies all day long. dem trolls iz hobbits yo.
fireinthefishtank

Postby islandmusicpro » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:26 pm

fireinthefishtank wrote:Yo Homie, ah remember you. You same class just next do'. ah graduated too. In fact ah gots diplomas on my own. Hamburger University an' Chris Loward Algea - Phat Beatz Seminar. Iz tight Bro. You remember me, Im da one wif da pony tail an' dem shiny shoes.

Mmmmm, yo' beats is tigtht. Jumpin off dat SSL ah remember. iz like, you tickle dem wif uh feather first an' then….you hit dem wif hammer yo. You turn ‘em in ta ear butter dawg.

Don’t listen ta dem trolls an' haters. dey don’t know tight beats. dey just busy learning Cubase an' pimpin they desktops.

Downloading screen savers o' naked ladies all day long. dem trolls iz hobbits yo.

This made my day.
Cubase Pro 8.0.0 x64, Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64
Synthogy Ivory 2, UAD2 Duo PCIe, Superior Drummer 2.3 NY extensions
i7 3770K Gigabyte Z77-UD5H, 32GB Crucial ULP 1.35V RAM
Allen & Heath ZED R16, UA LA610 Mk2, Neumann TLM49, Shure SM7B, Mackie HR624 Mk2
https://www.facebook.com/islandmusicpro
islandmusicpro

Postby mpayne0 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:31 pm

:lol: what the heck is going on here?

haha some good points being made, I'm just glad I'm not alone.

I would be good for mixer font size options, at the very least.
mpayne0

Postby AP » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Another great 8 hours mixing session with 7.5.20. My clients range from Major Labels pop acts, rock bands to indie acts and rock bands, everybody is happy. Thanks again Steinberg :D
Cubase 7.5.30, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.10 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby G-string » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:33 pm

I love the way self acclaimed professionals act in our days .. children at play again .
7.5.20 works fine here 4 days 12 hours a day and no issues , it's a bit sluggish with the gui opening the plugin's and vsti's but it hasn't failed to do so ,so i can live with that
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby silhouette » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 pm

G-string wrote:I love the way self acclaimed professionals act in our days .. children at play again .
7.5.20 works fine here 4 days 12 hours a day and no issues , it's a bit sluggish with the gui opening the plugin's and vsti's but it hasn't failed to do so ,so i can live with that

Professionals! Give me a break. I would expect professionals to be articulate, know how to express themselves with grammatical coherence and be able to spell. Mind you I expect the real professionals are too busy being professional to write some of the moronic stuff some of those claimants post here. :lol:
Intel i7 64bit - 3.4 x 6 - 12 gig RAM - Windows 7 - RME Fireface UC - UAD Solo + Duo - Komplete 8 - All uhe - S-Gear/Revalver 3.5/Amplitude3 - Alchemy
silhouette

Postby Antonio Escobar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Great release! The beta testing is almost finished! Please fix the video issues and I'll be very happy. Btw, I learnt a great lesson here: don't upgrade until two or three updates after Cubase 8.5
Antonio Escobar
http://www.antipop.es

---
Nuendo 6.0.x / Cubase 7.5.x
Mac Pro 3,1 Octo 2.8 Mhz, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.4
RME HDSPe, UAD2 Quad, 6.5.2, Novation Nocturne (as MIDI device), Unitor 8 (x2), ESI Pro MIDI, Blackmagic Intensity Pro
MacBook Air 4,2 4GB RAM, OS X 10.9.2
Antonio Escobar

Postby maestro2be » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04 pm

There really is some good information in this thread when you sift through it all. I don't professionally mix as much as some of you but the daily music I do I don't seem to be having any issues with my system. This does seem to also be a norm that some users feel it more than others.

I dual use S1 and Cubase but mostly Cubase at the moment because of the ability to do Step Input Recording and honestly, I find the coloring scheme etc. to be very refreshing and exciting to use. I think that because some of you have used Cubase for so long it also affects you much more to have such changes and changes can either please or get a big fat disapproval from a long time user.

I would imagine from a support standpoint it would be a nightmare to have "multiple" possible setups within Cubase but perhaps offering a more modern solution as well as the option to give it a more old school/backward compatible look and feel would surely please many more people.

I myself and very happy with they way it looks but I do sort of understand what people are saying about huge amounts of wasted screen space and especially I feel how much harder it is to navigate and do simple things in this program. Especially from the ultra simplicity of S1. Yet that comes at the cost of missing a tremendous amount of necessary functions. I sure would hate to be some of these programmers as there just can't possibly be a way to please everyone.

For now, I love the update and am not having 1 issue with it for my needs and I find it quite attractive looking, but sometimes a little intimidating look at all the functions available.

Maestro2be
Windows 7 64bit, i7 980 Extreme, 24GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
Cubase 6.5.5 & 7.5.3, Sibelius 6, Studio One V2.6.4
RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface 2, 61-key Arturia The Laboratory, Lemur iPAD controllers
Lavry DACs, Technics Digital Ensemble Piano, Bricasti M7
ATC Active Studio Monitors
VSL Libraries, VE PRO 5/MIR PRO, Vienna Suite
Symphobia 1 & 2, LASS 2.0 & LASS Sordino, 8DIO Adagio Strings, Spitfire Albion 1
maestro2be

Postby drewspuppet » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:25 am

uRG...

Working on my laptop I like to have mixer and project screen split. Windows are re-sizing and enlarging the whole project beyond my screen. Jumbled mess/

I like Cubase better than the alternative DAWs.. but seriously always SO MUCH Fn frustration with their window issues. wtf. That and I never was able to 'manually' transfer over my custom key commands from 6.5, followed all the instructions from Users detective work [not Steinberg, thanks much] - but still didn't work.
drewspuppet

Postby tonka134 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:08 pm

The 7 + mixer feels like a different program to the rest of Cubase to me and I find It really impractical to use especially as I keep bypassing the effect when I go to select it because I click just a little to much to the left, Very annoying. I stopped using the mixer all together and at first it was difficult but now I can get to grips with large projects and not using a mixer. So for people like me that also loath the 7 + mixer try not using it and using the level meters down the side of the arrangement tracks instead to mix. Sure not the same but it's quicker than the alternative.
tonka134

Postby Anthonie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm not happy with the 7.5.20 update, because now all MIDI Devices disconnect everytime closing a project.
(i.e. the output channnels set in the MIDI Device Manager change to 'Not Connected', if there is a MIDI Device automation track in the Project Window.)
Before opening another project, Cubase now has to be closed and started again to reconnect the MIDI Devices.
It happens on both Windows and Mac.
It does not happen in 7.5.10 or before. I'll stay on 7.5.10 until this is fixed.
There is a separate thread in the Issues forum:
viewtopic.php?f=184&t=58219&p=354187#p353849
Cubase 8.0.0 Pro 64 bits | Cubase 7.5.30 64 bits | Windows 8.1 64 bits | 16 GB RAM | i5 3.3 GHz processor| SSD 256 GB | Steinberg MR816x | Steinberg Midex 8 | Motu Midi Express 128 | Fostex DCM100 midi controlled mixer | much hardware synths and vst plugins
Anthonie

Postby zibelnik » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:52 am

+
zibelnik

Postby DaDa » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:13 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:...wish i got a cent for every 'load preset' dialog that loaded when i wanted to bring up a plugin's gui instead.

Me too !!
No clear visible area/switch to open the GUI.
And worse :
No indication, that the GUI is open ( which is an issue, if You work on numerous VCC plugs, etc )!
:|

Jan
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 8gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 19" LCDs | System SSD |7tb Data HDs
RayDat | ProFire 2626 | UR 824
Win7 64bit | Cubase 7.5.30 64bit | Samplitude 11 32bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore
DaDa

Postby DaDa » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 pm

... and to all those, liking the current mixer and dissing the Reaper designs:

Again, it's NOT about taste.
Designs copying real mixers, have the clear advatage,
that those mixers have been designed for fast and easy daily work.
Knobs/switches have different size, shape and color.
MAkes it way easier for the brain to navigate.
All info is always visible. This may be a problem for a newbie
but clearly speeds up the workflow, if you use Cubase for daily work.

Cubase pre 7.x.x mixer designers knew about all that.
Now they decided to go for touchscreen and thus we have the current mess ...

Not good.

Jan
Last edited by DaDa on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Z87 | i5 4670K @ 4x 4,2gHz | 8gb RAM | 6850 silent | 37", 2x 24", 19" LCDs | System SSD |7tb Data HDs
RayDat | ProFire 2626 | UR 824
Win7 64bit | Cubase 7.5.30 64bit | Samplitude 11 32bit
Sony VAIO | Intel 2x 2,4 gHz | Win 7 64bit | Cubase 6.5.5
Steinberg user since Commodore
DaDa

Postby r.u.sirius » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 pm

DaDa wrote:
lukasbrooklyn wrote:...wish i got a cent for every 'load preset' dialog that loaded when i wanted to bring up a plugin's gui instead.

Me too !!
And worse :
No indication, that the GUI is open ( which is an issue, if You work on numerous VCC plugs, etc )!

Jan

I couldn´t believe it the first time i was looking for an indication which plugins are opened - no indication! :shock:
:evil:
C6.5/7.5 32bit | WL8 | FF800 | 2x UAD2 Quad | Win7 64 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i7-2600K | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800U
r.u.sirius

Postby Leonard_A » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Cubase 7.5 is insanely amazing. Love everything on it even features which I haven't mastered yet. Thanks for the challenge Steinberg.
"Nuca se vence uma guerra lutando sozinho, Voce sabe que a gente precisa entrar em contato."
Leonard_A

Postby Rotund » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:08 pm

DaDa wrote:

Me too !!
And worse :

Jan

Yea, no indication of open plugins is so backwards. I think this is the first time
it has been brought up though. Also, if you don't have the mixer racks open/visible,
then there is no indication that a plugin is even loaded on the channel.
These two issues are so important to a smooth workflow...Come on Steinberg.
Maybe another new rack add on.
Something small like the panner, just a little light that lights up when a plugin is loaded.
It could change color to show open instances as well.
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Studio One, Raydat, UAD X 2, UM-3EX, Glyph eSata Audio Drive, 6TB Storage, U-He ACE, Arturia Moog Modular & Jupiter8v, Korg Legacy (MS-20, MonoPoly, Wavestation), Portico 5043/5033.

Outboard:
AKG 414-B XLII (Matched Pair), AKG D 112, Neumann TLM-193, GrooveTubes GT-66, Shure SM-81 (Pair), Sennheiser e604 (3pack), SM-57 (Many), Beta SM-57, AT-3035, Many More, Panasonic DA-7, Event 20/20p, Alesis Monitor One, Philips MMS321 Multimedia Speakers, TLAudio, HHB, JoeMeek, dbx, Moog Model D, Nordlead 2, Korg MS2000, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo, Acoustic Drum Kit, Fender Stratocaster (USA), Ibanez EXSeries Bass, Laney VC-30.
Rotund

Postby mpayne0 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

I HATE having to use contextual click to open up a VSTi. The sound generator, the reason why I am even using a DAW to make music. Th eone thing that should not need a control click is opening the thing that actually makes the sound.

If you made a new mixer to make it more flexible and added navigational improvements, efficient use of space... when you made me have to touch the keyboard, while clicking for something I'm going to do 1000s of times during a session, for me it kinda defeats a purpose.

I would rather control click to use the EQ, which I rarely use... you have a ginormous control strip that gives me access to the EQ already. Is this the new convention or is there a way to get it to stop NOW. Does anyone enjoy it, were you always accidentally opening up your VSTi?
mpayne0

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:41 pm

btw. 7.5.2 is still doing this. i get it, you have a wicked sense of humour and the channel looks real macho this way, but maybe let go now and make cubase usable instead.
Attachments
untitled.jpg
(171.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby leroo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:40 am

js1 wrote:Did have a rough start with 7.5.20.

Opened up a 7.5 project, and was greeted with the message "There is a backup project newer than..." . So, I let it open the newer backup, and rename the other to xxx-01. And then got a message along the lines "This project cannot be opened because it was created with Cubase 1.x".

Paraphrasing the messages, but you get the idea. When I opened up the renamed project, I got the same error message.

I was able to open up an even older bak project.

I got the same problem here…..

mac osx 10.8.5 cubase 7.5.2 RME Babyface
Late 2013 iMac i7 ssd
OSX 10.9.5
Steinberg UR44
Cubase 7.5.3
CMC AI
leroo

Postby Jalcide » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 am

Are you guys still talking about the freakin' mixer?! (kidding) :D

I'm finally back up, on 7.5.20 with my new DAW build.

I had to do a from-scratch install of everything (you know how long that can take) in Windows 8.1, only to find 8.1, several plugins and Cubase wouldn't play nice.

So, I had to start all over from scratch with Windows 7.

:x

Painstaking.

But, it solved most of the 3rd party plugin problems.

Since Microsoft doesn't sell Windows 7 anymore (except in some "replacement parts" department) it's nearly impossible to find a non OEM version of Windows 7 in the wild. So, I had to use the license from one of my other computers (that would be fine with my Windows 8.1 license). So, I had to setup another computer, too.

At some point there's gonna be some music making here, I think. :D
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

Rack-mounted DAW1 (Main): Cubase Pro 8.0.0 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz OC, Stock Cooling, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX Motherboard, 16 Gigs DDR3, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe card (UGT-FW200), Two 30" ACDs

Rack-mounted DAW2 (Real-time Mastering Chain connected to DAW1 via ADAT Optical): Reaper 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit, i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz, 16 Gigs DDR3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, One 20" ACD
Jalcide

PreviousNext

Return to General