7.5.20 Impressions...

There really is some good information in this thread when you sift through it all. I don’t professionally mix as much as some of you but the daily music I do I don’t seem to be having any issues with my system. This does seem to also be a norm that some users feel it more than others.

I dual use S1 and Cubase but mostly Cubase at the moment because of the ability to do Step Input Recording and honestly, I find the coloring scheme etc. to be very refreshing and exciting to use. I think that because some of you have used Cubase for so long it also affects you much more to have such changes and changes can either please or get a big fat disapproval from a long time user.

I would imagine from a support standpoint it would be a nightmare to have “multiple” possible setups within Cubase but perhaps offering a more modern solution as well as the option to give it a more old school/backward compatible look and feel would surely please many more people.

I myself and very happy with they way it looks but I do sort of understand what people are saying about huge amounts of wasted screen space and especially I feel how much harder it is to navigate and do simple things in this program. Especially from the ultra simplicity of S1. Yet that comes at the cost of missing a tremendous amount of necessary functions. I sure would hate to be some of these programmers as there just can’t possibly be a way to please everyone.

For now, I love the update and am not having 1 issue with it for my needs and I find it quite attractive looking, but sometimes a little intimidating look at all the functions available.

Maestro2be

uRG…

Working on my laptop I like to have mixer and project screen split. Windows are re-sizing and enlarging the whole project beyond my screen. Jumbled mess/

I like Cubase better than the alternative DAWs… but seriously always SO MUCH Fn frustration with their window issues. wtf. That and I never was able to ‘manually’ transfer over my custom key commands from 6.5, followed all the instructions from Users detective work [not Steinberg, thanks much] - but still didn’t work.

The 7 + mixer feels like a different program to the rest of Cubase to me and I find It really impractical to use especially as I keep bypassing the effect when I go to select it because I click just a little to much to the left, Very annoying. I stopped using the mixer all together and at first it was difficult but now I can get to grips with large projects and not using a mixer. So for people like me that also loath the 7 + mixer try not using it and using the level meters down the side of the arrangement tracks instead to mix. Sure not the same but it’s quicker than the alternative.

I’m not happy with the 7.5.20 update, because now all MIDI Devices disconnect everytime closing a project.
(i.e. the output channnels set in the MIDI Device Manager change to ‘Not Connected’, if there is a MIDI Device automation track in the Project Window.)
Before opening another project, Cubase now has to be closed and started again to reconnect the MIDI Devices.
It happens on both Windows and Mac.
It does not happen in 7.5.10 or before. I’ll stay on 7.5.10 until this is fixed.
There is a separate thread in the Issues forum:

Me too !!
No clear visible area/switch to open the GUI.
And worse :
No indication, that the GUI is open ( which is an issue, if You work on numerous VCC plugs, etc )!
:neutral_face:

Jan

… and to all those, liking the current mixer and dissing the Reaper designs:

Again, it’s NOT about taste.
Designs copying real mixers, have the clear advatage,
that those mixers have been designed for fast and easy daily work.
Knobs/switches have different size, shape and color.
MAkes it way easier for the brain to navigate.
All info is always visible. This may be a problem for a newbie
but clearly speeds up the workflow, if you use Cubase for daily work.

Cubase pre 7.x.x mixer designers knew about all that.
Now they decided to go for touchscreen and thus we have the current mess …

Not good.

Jan

I couldn´t believe it the first time i was looking for an indication which plugins are opened - no indication! :open_mouth:
:imp:

Cubase 7.5 is insanely amazing. Love everything on it even features which I haven’t mastered yet. Thanks for the challenge Steinberg.

Yea, no indication of open plugins is so backwards. I think this is the first time
it has been brought up though. Also, if you don’t have the mixer racks open/visible,
then there is no indication that a plugin is even loaded on the channel.
These two issues are so important to a smooth workflow…Come on Steinberg.
Maybe another new rack add on.
Something small like the panner, just a little light that lights up when a plugin is loaded.
It could change color to show open instances as well.

I’m just gonna go ahead and say it.

I HATE having to use contextual click to open up a VSTi. The sound generator, the reason why I am even using a DAW to make music. Th eone thing that should not need a control click is opening the thing that actually makes the sound.

If you made a new mixer to make it more flexible and added navigational improvements, efficient use of space… when you made me have to touch the keyboard, while clicking for something I’m going to do 1000s of times during a session, for me it kinda defeats a purpose.

I would rather control click to use the EQ, which I rarely use… you have a ginormous control strip that gives me access to the EQ already. Is this the new convention or is there a way to get it to stop NOW. Does anyone enjoy it, were you always accidentally opening up your VSTi?

btw. 7.5.2 is still doing this. i get it, you have a wicked sense of humour and the channel looks real macho this way, but maybe let go now and make cubase usable instead.

I got the same problem here……

mac osx 10.8.5 cubase 7.5.2 RME Babyface

Are you guys still talking about the freakin’ mixer?! (kidding) :smiley:

I’m finally back up, on 7.5.20 with my new DAW build.

I had to do a from-scratch install of everything (you know how long that can take) in Windows 8.1, only to find 8.1, several plugins and Cubase wouldn’t play nice.

So, I had to start all over from scratch with Windows 7.

:angry:

Painstaking.

But, it solved most of the 3rd party plugin problems.

Since Microsoft doesn’t sell Windows 7 anymore (except in some “replacement parts” department) it’s nearly impossible to find a non OEM version of Windows 7 in the wild. So, I had to use the license from one of my other computers (that would be fine with my Windows 8.1 license). So, I had to setup another computer, too.

At some point there’s gonna be some music making here, I think. :smiley:

I agree that Control+Click to open a VSTi is not a step forward but have you thought of assigning a key command for this? For things you do 1000’s of times in a session, it saves so much time, even before they brought in the Control+Click method. I have ‘V’ assigned to open the instrument on the selected channel and it’s one of my most time saving key commands.

Yes, I\m still getting this from time to time. Otherwsie, running great!

+1

Lucky for you, guys, if it only happens to certain channels and only from time to time. For me it happens with all the channels and all the time.

I just came to conclusion that neither C7, nor C7.5 get along with my system(x79/lga2011) after numerous attempts at troubleshooting and dicking around with various settings and configurations. I’ll try again once I’ll get around to building a new Haswell/E system, or give it another shot, when C8 comes out.

Credit where credit’s due…

There is a BIG improvement in offline mix render times, at least on my system.

This has gotten very slow indeed in recent Cubendo versions, over the past year or so. To the point where there was seldom any time saved by doing an offline render, compared with realtime.

My impression is that the render time is roughly halved. anyone else noticed this?

I have noticed one weird annoyance with CB 7.5.20. Quite often, after installing a new VST/VSTi, plug-in, Cubase quits right before the Steinberg Hub should open. When I launch it again it tells me that some windows were open when I quit, would I like to reopen them? I click “No”, and the Hub opens as it should. Everything appears to work correctly, including the plug-in. The third, and subsequent times, there is no problem with launching Cubase.

This is, of cause, not a fatal bug, but it’s annoying nevertheless. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?