Too much RAM, any ideas? :-)

switch off disk reading in your romplers and load the entire project in your ram.
but don’t forget to turn it back on before you run again to the shop to buy extra memory. :slight_smile:

Roel,
I already set max memory usage in Ivory 2 and Superior Drummer, the drum sampler has full bleed on and around 2 GB in memory. Ivory runs with no voice restrictions, all available layers and half-pedaling on pulling around 300 voices in some passages. Machine doesn’t break a sweat at 24/48 and 128 buffers…
I could start a 16 GB RAMDisk, and use that for an audio recording location, but where I live, we have frequent power outages and I don’t have a backup battery (yet)…

Thanks for your thoughts though, I guess I just have to use more VI’s !!! :wink:

Cheers,
Benji

Yeah, dodgy power issues certainly aren’t conducive to running a ram disk, or a stable studio for that matter. Get an UPS or backup generator on that shtuff ASAP… :wink:
Well… in the end… having too much RAM really isn’t a bad problem to have. Think of it as a one percenter type problem :slight_smile:

I loooove having luxury problems… :mrgreen:

Case closed. thx all!!

B.

i think i have found a way to blow your mem to max.
buy the Vienna bosendorfer and load that one with close and far mic settings in your mem.
That is 50 gigs on its own :stuck_out_tongue:
Then add a nice east west ludwig kit and use all three mic positions, also in mem.
and you need some voices, so there you can use symphonic choirs from east west, also with different mic positions

but i agree that it is not good for a memory module to be there in a system an never ever get any call.
that is just not done…

kind regards,
R.

This is really not much more off-topic than other posts I’ve seen around here… :slight_smile:

Geez, when I built my custom DAW rig a few years ago, I put 16 Gigs of RAM in it, and sometimes wonder if I should have thrown 32 G in instead.

If I had 32, I’d be smilin’ for sure. Like having the secure feeling of extra gas in the tank for that long, impromptu, spur of the moment trip.

So far no troubles with 16 G though.

Just a quick update: I just got Symphonic Choirs and Voices Of Passion from EWQL. Even with disk streaming on and not many patches loaded, my template without any recorded tracks is now using way north of 20 GB…
Might be time to switch the page file back on… :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your input!
Benji

That conjures up images. :smiling_imp:
Voices Of Passion! :open_mouth:
Does that have like samples from Je t’aime… or When Harry Met Sally? :laughing:

While I agree that the naming scheme along with the “naked girl” UI theme (yes, really!) is a little strange (even though you don’t see it anymore after a while), the package is REALLY nice and provides near instant Enya, “Gladiator” and “Middle-East refugee camp” material. Sorry for the cynicism, but that’s unfortunately how stuff like this gets used these days… :frowning:
And yes, there’s stuff in there that will get you dangerously close to “je t’aime” territory! :unamused:
Anyway, I’m glad I overprovisioned this machine when I built it!

Cheers,
Benji

Voices of passion is indeed one of the things i bought were i am actually unsure of if i am ever going to use it. It is a sample bank build around vocal loops of five women (mostly eastern) with a variable sample starting point assigned to the modulation wheel for most patches. The loops on itself are nice, and there are loads of them, but it is for a very specific purpouse. That being said, i like most of the EWQL things a lot.

So it is possible that one of the women says “je t’aime”, but i do not understand the langage, and if it is present it sounds more like “ayaiayeoeyaoeaie”. :slight_smile:

For those who may not have understood…
‘je t’aime’ is a famous song from Serge Gainsbourg recorded originally as a duet with Brigitte Bardot and later with Jane Birkin, the latter being the better known version Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'aime,...Moi Non Plus - YouTube
When Harry Met Sally is a film famous for it’s “I want what she’s having” scene Katz's Delicatessen - in "When Harry Met Sally" - YouTube
:wink:

No prob. It’s just a quick reaction on a small post. That song of serge Gainsbourg was very famous here too in the past.
But i have no idea where you guys hear any romance in that library, but hey, fwiw.
I hear or see camels, pyramids, castles, medieval markets and things like that in the library. Most of the times the more bloody type of movies. So maybe it has a wider target public after all if we can differ so much on where it can be used for. :slight_smile:

Jeeeeeeeez! Let’s buy way_____ to much ram to use, be unhappy it’s unused, then keep finding ways to load the holy crap out of the machine, for the sole purpose of making sure every bit of resources are to the gills…when we’ve reached the limits, it’s time for another REBUILD! YES!!!

DOH!!!

Being the OP, I didn’t want to appear like a dork…
I just find now that I’m dabbling in more cinematic sounding stuff, I’m glad the machine is as it is. That’s all…

Peace out!
Benji

I was just yankin’ yer chain Island :wink:

:sunglasses: Fair enough…
Good fun!

B.

+1
Using SSDs gets pretty close to the speeds obtained by reading off the drive cache, so virtual drives or RAID0 offer insignificant advantages, as well requiring extra management overhead, especially if problems occur.

SSDs basically provide the same performance improvement.

I’ve got something coming up, I’ll let you know when it’s installed and working… :sunglasses: