Some basic questions - i7 or Xeon E5?

Is that 200MHz / core or 200MHz overall (200MHz / 6 cores?)

Thanks

Casey

It is 200MHz x 6 cores, but that is still a very diminished return for the ‘privilege’ of paying double!

Note that is far below what OCing up just one notch will get.

if you even knew how the validated/tested (lack there of) you would not assume anything the manufacturers say.

NO ONE and I mean no one validates with a full set of ram (8 filled slots)

trust me you want 1.35v or very high spec like Patanjali said and clock it at 1600

the chips we use in ours is DDR 3 2400 (binned) grade 1A low voltage. (in other words best of the best)
I pay as much or more than what you can buy that corsair for and there is a reason for it.

Well, sorry to say but I am quite confused now…

In my case I plan to put 32GB (4 slots) of ram into my system. I barely can find any RAM with 1.3V.

All the stuff, G.Skill, Geil, Corsair etc is 1,5V or 1,65V.

I have to say that I do not need/want to do extreme overclocking things, I just need a very solid system and if it is possible to OC that in the future a little, why not.

What is a recommended high spec Ram? I was under the impression that this Corsair Dominator is quite a good ram… Or is it just expensive? What is the benefit of 2400 Ram clocked at 1600?

Patanjali, thanks for that post - I agree on everything you said!

My P9X79-E WS will be delivered today - I did a lot of research and yes, there are MANY options - but that board will gives me 100% what I want. Enough PCI-e for example… And the Case I have will fit! Corsair 800d… The WS Board is bigger then ATX as it seems.

Regarding the CPU I will do exactly what you did - after research and of course these posts in this thread I decided that the 4930K will be by far the best choice - “bang for the buck” - I will have more benefit “from the buck” when I spend the 1500EUR difference in price in a UAD OCTO or something like that… and of course that what you wrote regarding the usage of the Cores… this is exactly what I experienced here all the time with my i7 950 rig… Often the CPU is not spread well and one Core is in use quite more - than I have 80% CPU in the Nuendo meter but in task manager the overall system is only at 35 % or something… this sucks… and I fear that even with a 12 Core I will not have any advantage here, one Core at 90% and others at 20… So better using that 6 Core and trying to OC it when the system is maxed out.

Well, regarding the RAM - I do not have a clue - I can find 1000s of people in the www using that Board and CPU and they are using all kind of RAM, usually Corsair Venegance or something like that with no issues. But what Scott said makes me hesistate - cause he knows his sh*t :sunglasses:

What Ram do you use exactly? There are just too many options regarding RAM and I do not have a clue what will work best for me…

Brandy

sadly I wouldn’t touch any of these options. I used to like Mushkin but then they started changing chips faster than I change underwear.

Gskill has/had some decent 1.35v wait found it

just have to buy 2 sets and hope both sets are

1. the same Eeprom programing
  2. the same chips.

the way most these guys work is they buy the cheapest chips they can. so week 12 batch is different than week 13 might be Elpida one week and hundai the next

also you may be ok with 4 sticks of a different batch (depending on their XMP) but if you try to add 4 more forget it.

again there is a reason we spent a fortune getting our own ram up and running. not what I wanted to do and I get sick to my stomach every time I have to order more or worse send the wire transfer the following month. :astonished:

Thanks a lot, Scott.

I will try this Ram!

Is there a reason WHY that Ram is good? Everyone is raving about 9CL stuff, this one is 11CL and “only” 1600 etc - I am just asking because I want to understand the overall thing a little better.

I will order 2 sets - on my mainboard there are two sets of ram-slots - so most likely I will put SetA into the black slots and SetB into the blue ones… Or not?

gamers will rave about lower CL
stability is key for a pro system.

as I said our ram is DDR2400+, yet we never ship it past 1600 ours is also CL9 or less but we ship at 11

and bear in mind this is coming from someone who has been tweaking and overclocking for 20+ yrs

all for OCing but not the ram and definitely not on socket 2011…

Indeed. And we have to remember that DAW’s memory access profile is not sensitive to memory access latency. DAW takes advatage of processor cache very well and this makes memory latency figures almost irrelevant.

The original CoolerMaster NSE-300-KKN2 I ordered for the system, though it appeared from the pictures to be big enough, actually had a ridge (invisible on the pictures) that prevented the board being mounted properly.

I ended up getting a Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Mid Tower, which took the board no problems.

Hey all, hey Scott,

here I am again - well I just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to my thread - my new Computer is up and running! Runs very well so far!

I was able to grab 2 sets of that G.Skill ram you mentioned Scott - with serial numbers in a row, so all seems well here.

Setting up was quite easy with absolute no issue.

A little bit disappointing is the performance with Cubase/Nuendo though - compared to my old i7950 I have about “only” twice the power when I open old projects - but I can open even 200 track full blow mixes with 128 samples latency without too much issues! It seems that Cubendo still needs optimizing regarding the CPU usuage - for example a project which uses 50% CPU in Nuendo uses just 11-13% of CPU in the windows taskmanager… the system is almost idle while I have quite a healthy CPU usage in Cubase… I am not happy with that! I had it on all my computers since multi-Core systems were introduced.

But no overclocking so far…

I have to get into that first - it seems to be very easy to just choose an “optimized” setting in the bios which does a significant overclocking but I do not know if that is good for serious audio use… There are quite a lot of tutorials on youtube…

For an DAW it seems the best to only overclock the CPU itself or not?

Brandy

Just start using it! No point concerning yourself with overclocking and what if scenarios etc. If you have issues deal with them when and if they arise. Make music - that’s what a DAW is for.

What’s the fun in that, a DAW is for tweaking!

Well :slight_smile:

I usually tweak only in the first two weeks and then I do not touch it for 3 or 4 years - till I upgrade to the next machine. Because: A DAW is NOT for tweaking :slight_smile: At least when you have to do 20 days-straight sessions with bands, deliver mixed albums week per week and so on - a stable system is far more important than 20% more performance.

Thats why I will do some more research regarding OC first - because I do not want to have errors during sessions because I want to make music instead :slight_smile:

I was only joking…

That’s why I usually put a winking smiley in, just so such things don’t get taken seriously.

I recently forgot to put one in when I was having a ‘lend’ of someone, and they got a bit narky, until I apologised and told them I had forgotten to put the smiley in. They were alright after that.

When people so easily misunderstand the ‘straightforward’ stuff one rights, attempting humour can be a minefield!

Yeah I guess so,I haven’t “tweaked” my system in 2 years (except for updates new stuff etc.)…

.…When people so easily misunderstand the ‘straightforward’ stuff one rights, attempting humour can be a minefield!..

Attempting humour??

What are you, crazy?

This is the internet.

Don’t you know that there’s no room or place for humour on the internet!!

Now…where’s that damned ‘winky smiley’ thingy when you need it most?

Doh!!

Oh wait…there it is… :wink:

:smiley:

Great thread btw guys! Learning some things here.

Considering over-clocking my own rig now. :nerd:

Definitely! :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Brandy,

Don’t make the mistake of confusing the windows task manager with the Cubase performance meter, they’re measuring different things . Think of the Cubase meter as an ‘ASIO’ meter , it’s measuring the ASIO performance which is what is important in your DAW.

Regarding overcooking, most current non Xeons Intel CPU’s overclock very well and some by design ( the X models)

Also remember that you can save profiles in your BIOS for easy loading so in my case for example I have:

1:A silent profile, everything on stock for when I’m doing critical voice over work and need silence

2: A screaming full over clock @4.6 GHZ. For when I need maximum CPU when mixing, the fans are wiring louder of course on the high over clock.

3: A middle ground slight OC with still quiet cooling.

They’re just a click away in the BIOS when I boot up, and with windows 8 and SSD derives now rebooting takes seconds :smiley:

MC